Wheel rim wear

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Liffy99, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Liffy99

Liffy99 New Member

67F4C74F-EE2E-42B1-AFD4-D15BC6EC891D.jpeg How can I tell if I need new rims ?
    My Mavic Open Pros are at least 7 years old and have probably done about the same number of thousands of miles. There is supposed to be a wear indicator marked close to labelled arrows opposite the valve hole but I am not sure what to look for. See picture. The small radial Mark is much the same on both sides of the rim. Not sure if this is just coincidental dirt/scuff or the actual indicator .

Tags:

2. Chuckabutty

Chuckabutty Active Member

There should be a tiny hole in the rim, or there might be a groove. When the rim wears down so the hole or groove disappears, then it's time for new rims. Click on the link: Rim Wear

3. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Usually 7,000 miles is nothing for a rim, they should go between 30,000 to 40,000 miles; the only reason you could get as low as 20,000 is if you ride a lot in rain and mud that gets picked up by the rim then the brakes rub that dirt into the rim wearing the rim down faster.

4. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Put a straight edge across the brake track. Measure the concavity. If you can fit a needle between the straight edge and the rim, replace immediately.