Wheel set for 100kg rider

Corbs

Guest
Hi,

Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced wheel sets
for a 100kg rider.

I ride a 2003 Giant TCR1 that currently has Shimano 540s, but am
busting spokes pretty often.

I have been suggested to go for Campag Vento G3.

I have also seen Zipp 404 Clydesdale but they are a bit too pricey.

Any suggestions (apart from dropping 25kg - which isn't going to
happen)

AC

Corbs wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced wheel sets for
> a 100kg rider.
> I ride a 2003 Giant TCR1 that currently has Shimano 540s, but am busting
> spokes pretty often.
> I have been suggested to go for Campag Vento G3.
> I have also seen Zipp 404 Clydesdale but they are a bit too pricey.
> Any suggestions (apart from dropping 25kg - which isn't going to happen)
> AC

hmmm. Vento's are much chop IMHO (and their missing spokes:D ) and your
gonna have to fork out for a shimano-compatible cassette body to tak
your current cluste

The kysuriums are meant to be pretty strong Anything on open pro's (a
the older Gen will tell you who havent quite/or are past their midlif
crisis Colnago:p

100kg

cue hippy.......

-

Originally posted by Corbs:

> Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced wheel set
> for a 100kg rider

Ya need real wheels, with a decent number of spokes in 'em
Shimano 105/Ultegra hubs (or Campy if you've seen the light), wit
32 14/15 guage DT spokes front and rear, laced three cross t
Mavic Open Pro rims

Light, strong, fast, cheap, and dependable. See www.sheldonbrown.com fo
info on how to lace them yourself (highly recommended) or else ge
someone you trust (and who knows what stress relieving is) to lace them

Regards

Suz

-

"Corbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced wheel sets
> for a 100kg rider.

Get a good wheel builder to build a set of "normal"
wheels with something like:
- Ultegra hub
- Mavic or Velocity rim (I have Velocity "Fusions", slightly
deep, not stupidlight)
- DT spokes (Mine are 32 hole rims)

hth
hippy

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The kysuriums are meant to be pretty strong Anything on open pro's (as
> the older Gen will tell you who havent quite/or are past their midlife
> crisis Colnago:p )

If you're 100kg, I'd give Ksyriums a miss. Maybe
it's just that retro-grouch in me but I wouldn't pay to
sit on them. Too much $$ to crush... ;-)

> 100kg?
> cue hippy........

Gee, everyone jumped on this topic! At least our
advice was pretty consistent, eh? :)

hippy

Corbs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced wheel sets
> for a 100kg rider.
>
> I ride a 2003 Giant TCR1 that currently has Shimano 540s, but am
> busting spokes pretty often.
>
> I have been suggested to go for Campag Vento G3.
>
> I have also seen Zipp 404 Clydesdale but they are a bit too pricey.
>
> Any suggestions (apart from dropping 25kg - which isn't going to
> happen)
>
> AC

I've got a 100kg+ mate who split a Campy Omega rim and replaced
it with a Campy Atlanta, which has been fine since.

Atlantas aren't made anymore but anything with a deep profile
should be stronger. Maybe Mavic CXP33s?

--
Nick

Nickzx6r wrote:
> Corbs wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced wheel sets
> > for a 100kg rider.
> >
> > I ride a 2003 Giant TCR1 that currently has Shimano 540s, but am
> > busting spokes pretty often.
> >
> > I have been suggested to go for Campag Vento G3.
> >
> > I have also seen Zipp 404 Clydesdale but they are a bit too pricey.
> >
> > Any suggestions (apart from dropping 25kg - which isn't going
> > to happen)
> >
> > AC

> I've got a 100kg+ mate who split a Campy Omega rim and replaced it with
> a Campy Atlanta, which has been fine since.
> Atlantas aren't made anymore but anything with a deep profile should be
> stronger. Maybe Mavic CXP33s?
> --
> Nick

i agree. CXP33's have been tried and tested for the large
fellows among us

-

On 23 May 2004 23:33:50 -0700, [email protected] (Corbs) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced wheel sets
>for a 100kg rider.
>
>I ride a 2003 Giant TCR1 that currently has Shimano 540s, but am
>busting spokes pretty often.
>
>I have been suggested to go for Campag Vento G3.
>
>I have also seen Zipp 404 Clydesdale but they are a bit too pricey.
>
>Any suggestions (apart from dropping 25kg - which isn't going to
>happen)

The basic rule is not to buy a ready made (i.e. machine made) wheel.
Maybe Ksyriums (the newish SLs) break the rule. Go for a custom made
wheel by someone who knows what they are doing, 32 or 36 spokes, 3
cross, Chorus or Ultegra hubs, Open Pro rims (make sure they are CD),
good spokes (e.g. DT double butted).

--
Regards.
Richard.

Corbs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced wheel sets
> for a 100kg rider.

Use ordinary 32-spoke wheels with a strong rim such as Velocity Fusion.
They'll be cheaper and more robust than any of the overpriced low-spoke
count wheels.

Nick

"Corbs" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced wheel sets
> for a 100kg rider.
>
> I ride a 2003 Giant TCR1 that currently has Shimano 540s, but am
> busting spokes pretty often.
>
> I have been suggested to go for Campag Vento G3.
>
> I have also seen Zipp 404 Clydesdale but they are a bit too pricey.
>
> Any suggestions (apart from dropping 25kg - which isn't going to
> happen)
>
> AC

Don't worry about right of wrong wheel. Use the right tyres (i..e no 20 or
23 mm but preferably 25 or even 28 mm). The additional air in the tube will
give you and your wheel more comfort.

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Bert L.am wrote:

> "Corbs" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced wheel sets
>>for a 100kg rider.
>>
>>I ride a 2003 Giant TCR1 that currently has Shimano 540s, but am
>>busting spokes pretty often.
>>
>>I have been suggested to go for Campag Vento G3.
>>
>>I have also seen Zipp 404 Clydesdale but they are a bit too pricey.
>>
>>Any suggestions (apart from dropping 25kg - which isn't going to
>>happen)
>>
>>AC

> Don't worry about right of wrong wheel. Use the right tyres (i..e no 20 or
> 23 mm but preferably 25 or even 28 mm). The additional air in the tube will
> give you and your wheel more comfort.

I disagree. At 100Kg, there are 'wrong' wheels. eg. Ksyrium, Helium IMHO.

I would avoid like the plague anything with less than 32 spokes, and
36 spokes is probably better.

--
Nick

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Bert L.am wrote:
>
> > "Corbs" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced wheel sets
> >>for a 100kg rider.
> >>
> >>I ride a 2003 Giant TCR1 that currently has Shimano 540s, but am
> >>busting spokes pretty often.
> >>
> >>I have been suggested to go for Campag Vento G3.
> >>
> >>I have also seen Zipp 404 Clydesdale but they are a bit too pricey.
> >>
> >>Any suggestions (apart from dropping 25kg - which isn't going to
> >>happen)
> >>
> >>AC

> > Don't worry about right of wrong wheel. Use the right tyres (i..e no 20

or
> > 23 mm but preferably 25 or even 28 mm). The additional air in the tube

will
> > give you and your wheel more comfort.
> >

> I disagree. At 100Kg, there are 'wrong' wheels. eg. Ksyrium, Helium IMHO.
>
> I would avoid like the plague anything with less than 32 spokes, and
> 36 spokes is probably better.
>
> --
> Nick

Agree. Still, a lot of "air" between te wheel and the earth will help a lot.
Yes, do use a lot of spokes. I'd prefer 36 or more. My road racing wheels
used to have 40 spokes

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

"Bert L.am" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Corbs" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced wheel sets
> > for a 100kg rider.
> >
> > I ride a 2003 Giant TCR1 that currently has Shimano 540s, but am
> > busting spokes pretty often.
> >
> > I have been suggested to go for Campag Vento G3.
> >
> > I have also seen Zipp 404 Clydesdale but they are a bit too pricey.
> >
> > Any suggestions (apart from dropping 25kg - which isn't going to
> > happen)
> >
> > AC

> Don't worry about right of wrong wheel. Use the right tyres (i..e no 20 or
> 23 mm but preferably 25 or even 28 mm). The additional air in the tube

will
> give you and your wheel more comfort.
>

> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nu

newbie to the group

but at 123kg, 28 spoke CXP33 on Ultegra hubs, running 125 -130 PSI have
served me without issue for the last 2 years (albeit only averaging 250-300K
per week)

"Dr Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
[snip]

> newbie to the group
>
> but at 123kg, 28 spoke CXP33 on Ultegra hubs, running 125 -130 PSI have
> served me without issue for the last 2 years (albeit only averaging 250-300K
> per week)

Wow! 123kg and averaging 250-300km a week for 2 years - you would be a
kick-ass competitor in the Clydesdale category in triathlon, if you
can swim a bit and your knees are ok. At Noosa, you'd probably get the
speed record down the hill too.

Way to go!
Ritch

Thanks all for your help.

The consistent theme has been go for heavy duty wheels and decent
hubs.

I have gone for Velocity Deep V with Ultegra Hubs and DT spokes. (For
good or bad)

WRT tyre width 23mm prorace and/or Conti GP have served me well and
see no need for changing to wider tyres. That's what my MTB is for!