wheel size question

timothy douma

Guest
I have an old Gazelle with drum brakes that is too tall for me. I was
wondering how much height I could lose by using the hubs and rebuilding
on a 26" rim. I understnd it will depend on what tire i end up using as
well. Any insights? I'm thinking the ISO for Gazelle is 635 and for
26" is 559. reference: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

thankyou.

td

timothy douma said:
I have an old Gazelle with drum brakes that is too tall for me. I was
wondering how much height I could lose by using the hubs and rebuilding
on a 26" rim. I understnd it will depend on what tire i end up using as
well. Any insights? I'm thinking the ISO for Gazelle is 635 and for
26" is 559. reference: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

thankyou.

td
You will lower the entire bicycle, so you need to consider pedal strike especially when cornering.
Depending on the tires, you would lower about 1.5"

timothy douma wrote:
> I have an old Gazelle with drum brakes that is too tall for me. I was
> wondering how much height I could lose by using the hubs and rebuilding
> on a 26" rim. I understnd it will depend on what tire i end up using as
> well. Any insights? I'm thinking the ISO for Gazelle is 635 and for
> 26" is 559. reference: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
>
> thankyou.
>
> td

In what way does smaller wheels reduce the frame size? You only lower
the entire bike.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

That's what I'm trying to do.

Lou Holtman wrote:
> timothy douma wrote:
>
>> I have an old Gazelle with drum brakes that is too tall for me. I was
>> wondering how much height I could lose by using the hubs and
>> rebuilding on a 26" rim. I understnd it will depend on what tire i
>> end up using as well. Any insights? I'm thinking the ISO for Gazelle
>> is 635 and for 26" is 559. reference:
>> http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
>>
>> thankyou.
>>
>> td

> In what way does smaller wheels reduce the frame size? You only lower
> the entire bike.
>
> Lou

Thanks, Dave, That's about what I figured but wanted to see if I was
figuring correctly.

tim

timothy douma wrote:

> Lou Holtman wrote:
>> timothy douma wrote:
>>
>>> I have an old Gazelle with drum brakes that is too tall for me. I
>>> was wondering how much height I could lose by using the hubs and
>>> rebuilding on a 26" rim. I understnd it will depend on what tire i
>>> end up using as well. Any insights? I'm thinking the ISO for
>>> Gazelle is 635 and for 26" is 559. reference:
>>> http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
>>>
>>> thankyou.
>>>
>>> td

>> In what way does smaller wheels reduce the frame size? You only lower
>> the entire bike.
>>
>> Lou

> That's what I'm trying to do.

So, standover height is the only problem?

Lou
--

Lou Holtman wrote:
> timothy douma wrote:
>

>> Lou Holtman wrote:

>>> In what way does smaller wheels reduce the frame size? You only lower
>>> the entire bike.
>>>
>>> Lou

> > That's what I'm trying to do.

> So, standover height is the only problem?
>
> Lou

yes

timothy douma wrote:
> I have an old Gazelle with drum brakes that is too tall for me. I was
> wondering how much height I could lose by using the hubs and rebuilding
> on a 26" rim. I understnd it will depend on what tire i end up using as
> well. Any insights? I'm thinking the ISO for Gazelle is 635 and for
> 26" is 559. reference: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

About this much:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/FIXSARAC.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:41:00 -0500, timothy douma <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Lou Holtman wrote:
>> timothy douma wrote:

>> > That's what I'm trying to do.

>> So, standover height is the only problem?
>>
>> Lou

>yes

Is the standover height really a problem or, as is much more common, is it
perceived as a problem for no good reason. There really is no point in the
normal use or administrative handling of a bicycle where one needs straddle the
bike with a feet flat on each side and the bike upright.

Ron

In article
<[email protected]>,
timothy douma <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have an old Gazelle with drum brakes that is too tall for me. I was
> wondering how much height I could lose by using the hubs and rebuilding
> on a 26" rim. I understnd it will depend on what tire i end up using as
> well. Any insights? I'm thinking the ISO for Gazelle is 635 and for
> 26" is 559. reference: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

The top tube will remain too long.
Consult with a good Procrustean.

--
Michael Press

RonSonic wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:41:00 -0500, timothy douma <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Lou Holtman wrote:

>>>So, standover height is the only problem?
>>>
>>>Lou

>>yes

> Is the standover height really a problem or, as is much more common, is it
> perceived as a problem for no good reason. There really is no point in the
> normal use or administrative handling of a bicycle where one needs straddle the
> bike with a feet flat on each side and the bike upright.
>
> Ron

it is, perhaps uncommonly, a real problem