Wheel Size

GypsyWildflower

Jun 2, 2015
Missouri
So, I'm still new to bike riding (shamefully at the age of 26). While learning I've used free bicycles that a local shop gave me. They weren't in good shape, but they were enough for me to learn to ride. Now that I have the basics down, I would like to move up to a nicer bicycle that is more suited for me. A friend who is an avid rider told me that I needed to purchase a bike with 26" wheels. My problem when testing some of these out is that I can barely touch the ground. Being still a new rider, with many fears, I really thrive on the ability to touch the ground.

My question is, is touching the ground something I need to grow out of? Is the normal posture on a bike one that leaves the rider unable to reach? If not, is there a way to find out what wheel size really is right for me?

Yes grow out of it! :lol:

If you set your set so that you can touch the ground your seat is way too low and you are not getting proper extension and power form your legs.

The seat should be high enough so that the heel of your foot sets on the pedal with a slight bend. That is a ball park figure and starting point toward achieving proper saddle height.

Most riders can barely touch the ground with their toe while on the seat.

The proper way to put your foot down is to lift yourself off the seat and gently lower the crotch area to the top tube )bar that goes from under seat to handle bar area).

Many bikes nowadays have a sloping top tube that makes it easy to stand over the bike while resting.

To restart (remount) the bike. Start off with one foot, pedal on the down stoke while lifting yourself back onto the seat. Comes natural for most people but for those that don't just takes a little practice.

As you can see, her feet are on the ground when she dismounts the seat. The seat is set high enough so that when she sits on it, her feet will not be able to touch the ground. This allows her to get the right leg length extension while pedaling the bike

I put the black line in there to show what sloping means. Compare it to the bar running between her legs, It is angling down. This is called a sloping top tube.

Attachments

• 0sloping tube.JPG
    0sloping tube.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Susimi
That's not the news I wanted!! :eek: But I appreciate it nonetheless, :) . I think throughout the learning experience, I have used the ability of slamming my feet to the ground as a crutch. I guess I just hoped/assumed that crutch would always be there. So essentially, the 26" is correct for me. I can barely reach the tip of my toe to the ground while on a bike with 26" wheels.

I guess I will have to toughen up and learn the in's and out's of being a real bicyclist. Thank you!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Once again Mr. Beanz offers some fantastic advice! :)

Make sure you get the proper height of the seat set and the mounting procedures down from the start otherwise it can lead to some bad habits that are difficult to break later on.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz