Wheel spinning / bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott C

When I lift my new bike on a stand, and spin the wheels, I do not think the wheels spin very well.
When I ride and coast, the bike performs much better than my wife's bike (as I catch her easily
coasting downhill), but we are different weights by 100lb (I weigh more). Today I went into an REI
store and spun a few tires (not on the same bike) and they worked great - like I thought they
should. I have re-greased the bearings as part of an initial overhaul. There is a rubber sleeve on
the outside of the wheel, to keep the bearing area dust free, and I think this may be part of the
potential issue.. but am not sure - yes, I can take it off and try spinning the wheel
w/o the sleeve on it.

I just wondering if anyone would have any ideas as to why the front and back wheel may not spin as
well as I think they should? The break is not rubbing on the sides of the wheel. I used Schwinn
grease on the wheel bearing areas.

Thanks

Scott

Scott C wrote:
> Just read Sheldon's cone adjustments.. and will check this very closely again - I don't think this
> is the problem, but I did not put as much care into adjusting mine as Sheldon states..

Hey Scott, I was about to reply when I saw you'd replied to yourself. It sounds like you adjusted
your cones too tightly. They should be snug, but the wheel should still be able to spin easily and
freely. It requires a little minor tightening (and/or loosening) to find the perfect spot between
too much slop and too snug, so don't simply back them off a little and think everything's better.
Make sure you have no slop or play -- both of which are problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.