Wheel storage suggestions

Clydesdalemtb

Guest
Our basement is over-run with bikes, and especially wheels I'm building a wall mounted bike storage
rack for the bikes but I's stumped as to what to do with all the extra/spare wheels and rims. I
need a way to get them up out of the way and to store tha maximum # of wheels in the smallest
amount of space.

> Our basement is over-run with bikes, and especially wheels I'm building a wall mounted bike
> storage rack for the bikes but I's stumped as to what to do with all the extra/spare wheels and
> rims. I need a way to get them up out of the way and to store tha maximum # of wheels in the
> smallest amount of space.

The wife's car's trunk?

Bill "AFTER she shops for X-mas, of course" S.

> I need a way to get them up out of the way and to store tha maximum # of wheels in the smallest
> amount of space.

Do something similar to the car tire shops...

Run two lengths of pipe along the wall you want to store the tires/rims. Space them far enough apart
as to cradle tires/rims.

Go to local home store, Home depot or Lowes, and get pipe and 4 - 90 degree turns and make a
rectangle and suspend/hang it from the ceiling joists or run the pipe from wall to wall and attach
it right to those walls.

Then stack all those extras upright in the rack. Then go upstairs and have a beer and watch some
football :)

Zebu

> Our basement is over-run with bikes, and especially wheels I'm building a wall mounted bike
> storage rack for the bikes but I's stumped as to what to do with all the extra/spare wheels and
> rims. I need a way to get them up out of the way and to store tha maximum # of wheels in the
> smallest amount of space.

Throw all the crappy ones away and send all the others to me ;-)

Job Done!

Andy Chequer

fold the rims into quarters?

--
______________________________________

From: Rob Senior Executive Managing Manager, Department of Redundancy Department
______________________________________

> Our basement is over-run with bikes, and especially wheels I'm building a wall mounted bike
> storage rack for the bikes but I's stumped as to what to do with all the extra/spare wheels and
> rims. I need a way to get them up out of the way and to store tha maximum # of wheels in the
> smallest amount of space.

---

ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

> Our basement is over-run with bikes, and especially wheels I'm building a wall mounted bike
> storage rack for the bikes but I's stumped as to what to do with all the extra/spare wheels and
> rims. I need a way to get them up out of the way and to store tha maximum # of wheels in the
> smallest amount of space.

I hang 'em on vinyl coated hooks, which are placed about 4" apart along a joist.

Barry

> Our basement is over-run with bikes, and especially wheels I'm building a wall mounted bike
> storage rack for the bikes but I's stumped as to what to do with all the extra/spare wheels and
> rims. I need a way to get them up out of the way and to store tha maximum # of wheels in the
> smallest amount of space.

A majority of our bikes are on homemade wall mounted racks, it keeps them out of the way and
keeps them from falling over. As for our collection of wheels, we have them on wall hooks,
neatly arranged.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Sorni wrote:

> The wife's car's trunk?

We are selling her XTerra next month.... soon as I get her some Gislaved snows for the her 760
Volvo wagon

> Bill "AFTER she shops for X-mas, of course" S.

Christmass had been canceled !

Zebu wrote:
> "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>I need a way to get them up out of the way and to store tha maximum # of wheels in the smallest
>>amount of space.
>>

> Do something similar to the car tire shops...
>
> Run two lengths of pipe along the wall you want to store the tires/rims. Space them far enough
> apart as to cradle tires/rims.

SWEET idea.. and I have JUST the place for it

> Then stack all those extras upright in the rack. Then go upstairs and have a beer and watch some
> football :)

I hate football.. Never even liked it when I played it in H.S. Same with hockey, even though I
was damned good at both I hated them. (6 feet tall and a "buff" 180lbs @17 years old, and a
fast sprinter)

Lacrosse, on the other hand, now THAT is a sport I LOVED.

"Zebu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I need a way to get them up out of the way and to store tha maximum # of wheels in the smallest
> > amount of space.
> >

> Do something similar to the car tire shops...
>
> Run two lengths of pipe along the wall you want to store the tires/rims. Space them far enough
> apart as to cradle tires/rims.
>
> Go to local home store, Home depot or Lowes, and get pipe and 4 - 90
degree
> turns and make a rectangle and suspend/hang it from the ceiling joists or run the pipe from wall
> to wall and attach it right to those walls.
>
> Then stack all those extras upright in the rack. Then go upstairs and have
> beer and watch some football :)
>
> Zebu

That get's my vote for the best suggestion here!

Mike - The rack and beer that is, screw football!

ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

> B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
>
> > I hang 'em on vinyl coated hooks, which are placed about 4" apart along a joist.
>
> I'm doing that now.... http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/2manyrims.jpg
>
> It's really not working out, I can only get one, maybee two per hook.

Trash compactor? <G>

Barry

RE/
>I'm doing that now.... http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/2manyrims.jpg
>
>It's really not working out, I can only get one, maybee two per hook.

How about a whole-garge shot? My wife occasionally complains about the three bikes I have now and
maybe I can show her a picture to illustrate how lucky she
is....that is before I hang my soon-to-be-delivered (?) hard-tail.
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

> Sorni wrote:
>
> > The wife's car's trunk?
>
> We are selling her XTerra next month.... soon as I get her some Gislaved snows for the her 760
> Volvo wagon
>

> > Bill "AFTER she shops for X-mas, of course" S.
>
> Christmass had been canceled !

John......Why are you selling the Xterra? I just started looking at replacing my '87 Toyota 4x4 and
was considering the Xterra. What do you think of it?

Thanks.

Bruce

Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Zebu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I need a way to get them up out of the way and to store tha maximum #
of
> > > wheels in the smallest amount of space.
> > >

> > Do something similar to the car tire shops...
> >
> > Run two lengths of pipe along the wall you want to store the tires/rims. Space them far enough
> > apart as to cradle tires/rims.
> >
> > Go to local home store, Home depot or Lowes, and get pipe and 4 - 90
> degree
> > turns and make a rectangle and suspend/hang it from the ceiling joists
or
> > run the pipe from wall to wall and attach it right to those walls.
> >
> > Then stack all those extras upright in the rack. Then go upstairs and
have
> > beer and watch some football :)
> >
> > Zebu
> >

> That get's my vote for the best suggestion here!

Agreedf.

> Mike - The rack and beer that is, screw football!

Kinky Pervert.

Shaun aRe

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
> ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
>
>>B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
>>

>>>I hang 'em on vinyl coated hooks, which are placed about 4" apart along a joist.
>>
>>I'm doing that now.... http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/2manyrims.jpg
>>
>>It's really not working out, I can only get one, maybee two per hook.
>

> Trash compactor? <G>
>
> Barry

Now you can upgrade the wheels on your crushed bike... more Xmas presents!

Jon "Commander" Bond

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>
>>I'm doing that now.... http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/2manyrims.jpg
>>
>>It's really not working out, I can only get one, maybee two per hook.
>

> How about a whole-garge shot? My wife occasionally complains about the three bikes I have now and
> maybe I can show her a picture to illustrate how lucky she
> is....that is before I hang my soon-to-be-delivered (?) hard-tail.

HAH! not likely.. it's a friggin' MESS..... besides my basement is mostly a woodshop which has been
over-run by bikes and several sets of volvo tires and the 31" offroading wheels for the XTerra.

Bruce wrote:
> John......Why are you selling the Xterra?

It is paid in full, and we hold the title.... The mortgage is NOT I'm unemployed, and the proceeds
from the sale of the XTerra could pay our motgage for a year or more.

> I just started looking at replacing my '87 Toyota 4x4 and was considering the Xterra. What do you
> think of it?

WE Love it!

I'll give you a SWEET deal on ours..... 2000 model, only 40K miles, stock aluminum step rails
replaced with custom 3/8" steel rock sliders, Wet Okole neoprene seat covers front and rear,
Raingler interior X-Net, spare set of Interco Trxus 31's w/ plenty of tread left...... etc.

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
> >
> > Trash compactor? <G>
> >
> > Barry
>
> Now you can upgrade the wheels on your crushed bike... more Xmas presents!
>
> Jon "Commander" Bond

Dammit! Too late again! LOL!

Mike