Wheel Strength

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ted, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Ted

    Ted Guest

    I am thinking of building a new front wheel with a Velocity Fusion rim, 28 Wheelsmith 2.0/1.7
    spokes, brass nipples in a 3-cross pattern. This wheel is for use on a rode bike and I weight
    190 lbs. I want something that's light, durable, & aerodynamic. Do you think this would be a
    suitable wheel?

    Ted

    Tags:

  2. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Ted <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I am thinking of building a new front wheel with a Velocity Fusion rim, 28 Wheelsmith 2.0/1.7
    > spokes, brass nipples in a 3-cross pattern. This wheel is for use on a rode bike and I weight 190
    > lbs. I want something that's light, durable, & aerodynamic.

    No such thing as "light, durable, and aerodynamic." Which of those qualities are most
    important to you?

    Art Harris

  3. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >No such thing as "light, durable, and aerodynamic." Which of those qualities are most
    >important to you?
    >
    >Art Harris

    The same point from another angle:

    Almost all modern road wheels are reasonably light and reasonably aerodynamic, but not all of them
    are durable.

    Most likely one won't really notice the weight differences between wheels except when lifting them
    up to install them.

    Most likely one won't really notice the aerodynamic differences except when getting blown around
    by the wind.

    Most likely really WILL notice the durability differences.

    Jon

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >No such thing as "light, durable, and aerodynamic." Which of those qualities are most important
    > >to you?
    > >
    > >Art Harris
    >
    > The same point from another angle:
    >
    > Almost all modern road wheels are reasonably light and reasonably
    aerodynamic,
    > but not all of them are durable.
    >
    > Most likely one won't really notice the weight differences between wheels except when lifting them
    > up to install them.
    >
    > Most likely one won't really notice the aerodynamic differences except
    when
    > getting blown around by the wind.

    This all depends on how fast you're riding. The slower you go, the less aerodynamics makes a
    difference. C'mon down to Fiesta Island next week and feel the difference between 35mph and 14mph.

    > Most likely really WILL notice the durability differences.

    Now that I'll agree with 100%.

    I'll also say that if you under-build a wheel for your weight, you'll run into durability problems
    the same as if you built it poorly. For the OP, I'd probably recommend bumping up the 2.0/1.7 spokes
    to 2.0/1.8s to better suit his weight.

    Mike

  5. tedcamp-<< I am thinking of building a new front wheel with a Velocity Fusion rim, 28 Wheelsmith
    2.0/1.7 spokes, brass nipples in a 3-cross pattern. This wheel is for use on a rode bike and I
    weight 190 lbs. I want something that's light, durable, & aerodynamic. Do you think this would be a
    suitable wheel?

    Probably but for you I would do 32 spokes...4 of those spokes weigh about 20 grams...

  6. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On 17 Apr 2003 22:18:56 GMT, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

    >>This all depends on how fast you're riding. The slower you go, the less aerodynamics makes a
    >>difference. C'mon down to Fiesta Island next week and feel the difference between 35mph and 14mph.
    >
    >Been down there a number of times and ridden a number of wheels. Actually Andrew Coggan did a bit
    >of analysis that showed that slower riders can actually save more time than faster riders with
    >aerodynamic wheels. Besides Fiesta Island was last week end.....

    Fiesta Island is not like Brigadoon; it's there all the time. It was even there when I lived in SD.
    BTW, do you still have to shovel the drifts/dunes off the road sometimes? :)

  7. Ted

    Ted Guest

    Thanks everyone for your input. I've been using 32 spoke wheels on my current bike and they've
    worked fine. I was just looking at possibilities for my new bike. I'll probably stick with 32
    spoke wheels.

    Ted

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 17 Apr 2003 22:18:56 GMT, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:
    >
    > >>This all depends on how fast you're riding. The slower you go, the less aerodynamics makes a
    > >>difference. C'mon down to Fiesta Island next week
    and
    > >>feel the difference between 35mph and 14mph.
    > >
    > >Been down there a number of times and ridden a number of wheels.
    Actually
    > >Andrew Coggan did a bit of analysis that showed that slower riders can
    actually
    > >save more time than faster riders with aerodynamic wheels. Besides
    Fiesta
    > >Island was last week end.....
    >
    > Fiesta Island is not like Brigadoon; it's there all the time. It was even there when I lived in
    > SD. BTW, do you still have to shovel the drifts/dunes off the road sometimes? :)

    Sometimes. That wind really whips over the sand... There's a spot on the windward side, over where
    the Over the Line tourney is that is building up into the road again. I've been pinched off into the
    barriers there before. Not too fun going ass over teakettle into a telephone pole.

    Jon, I'm talking about the Thurs 6PM circuit training "race." 10 laps of fun with 100+ of your
    closest friends. The back stretch tends to get up over 55kph fairly frequently... That's how I know
    that my Cosmics are faster than my Grecals at speed.

    I know the argument about saving more time, but at what point are aero wheels just big, heavy
    wheels? 20mph, 15mph?

    Mike