Wheel Suggestions for $400

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Aztec, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Aztec

Aztec New Member

I'm probably going to buy a Cervelo Soloist so that I can get into the aero position and still have a good (2nd) road bike. I want to stick to Campy like my other bike, though, which means I'm not getting the 'standard' equipment. This means building/choosing separate wheels.

I don't want to blow more than $400. I'm unloading enough cash on the rest of the darn thing. What wheel optimizes the tradeoffs between weight, aero, and price? The shop suggests Velocity Deep V for $340 (I forgot which hubs).

Yeah, I'd like a set of Eurus, or even Zondas. Or maybe Kysriums. And I'd be able to swap them over to my other ride which has Campy Protons. Sure. But the spending has to stop somewhere!!!

Tags:

2. JohnO

JohnO New Member

If you want the most aero wheel for the buck, get on ebay and look for a set of Rolf Vector Pro's. Typically, these sell for $200-300 a set. Very low spoke count (14 front, 16 rear) and DT/Hugi hubs. Not ultra light, but definitely ultra strong, I've ridden a set for almost two years, never needed truing. For the most part, they show up with a Shimano freehub, so you will also need a Shimano cassette converted to Campy 10, though I've seen them for Campy 9/10 a few times. I've been using a Wheels Inc. converted cassette on my Rolfs, works great.

I bought a set of Zondas from cbike.com last fall for $350, but that was a 2 week sale. Might keep an eye on their site, in case they put them on sale again. Nice wheels, a little less radical than the Rolfs, but they ride a little smoother.

3. bryanquinn

bryanquinn New Member

I'll second the motion on the Rolfs on E bay. I bought a pair of Vector Comps on Ebay over 4 years ago and have never had them trued. I hit a really big pot hole one time and it never affected them. The hit was so bad I know I'll never forget it!

4. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Figures -- a set sold today on eBay for $330. For Campy, too. DOH!

How about Velocity Spartacus Pro?

5. ajo

ajo New Member

Ritchey WCS DCS Aero: Light (1600g), 16 + 20 spokes, semi-aero )better than Ksyrium, equal to Zonda), very comfortable and stiff - nice feeling on the bike.

6. xavier

xavier New Member

Inexpensive? Go with the Velocity wheels.

We sell them here and love them as well as the service. Check them out.

7. tkf

tkf New Member

Have these wheels and have had to true them constantly. They just don't want to stay true for any period of time.

8. pudster

pudster New Member

How about some Velomax circut comps. These are very light (lighter than the krysrium SL) but very strong. I like them because they are light but strong and they have 28 spokes front and 32 rear. The wheels that have less spokes have heavy rims to help hold the wheel together. Not where you want to have your weight on a wheel. The rims are aero and are radial front with alloy nipples. The rear is 3 cross drive side and radial non drive side with alloy nipples on the non drive side and brass nipples on the drive side. Kind of neat. They retail for 450.00 but I am sure you can find them mail order for less.

9. JuneBug

JuneBug New Member

check out Daves wheels he has great reviews from customers . My hubby has a set of mountain bike wheels that Dave Built...strong.
    I have a high rimmed, flat spoked, black 'stealth' set on my road bike that I just love. They are compared to be like the Kysiriums. hmmm.
    A friend of mine has testified that she will ONLY ride on the Ksyriums. (mavic) SHe is super fast and had a nasty nasty crash which she is OK...but her bike got hit hard... Her wheels held up where others would have taco'd for sure. just throwing that in.

If you dont want to buy a brand name and you dont have the talent to build your own wheel.... Its worth a [email protected]! I hope this link works. I have not done the link thing yet.

10. dhk

dhk New Member

I got a set of Circuit Comps with my new bike and like them so far. The straight pull spokes threading into the hubs look pretty slick too. Not that it matters much, but they are 24 spokes front, 28 rear, at least the current model is. Weight is 1650 grams.

Concerning aero, they are 28 mm section rims. Not sure if they are any faster than standard rims, but they do seem to be harder to handle in crosswinds....so I guess they must be "aero".

Velomax explains that went to the deep section rim on their OEM special product to keep the price down....deep section rims aren't as critical of spoke tension so less build time.

They record the spoke tension on every spoke, and use a higher spoke tension that the standard build 32 spokes wheels I'm used to. They feel very stiff and responsive to me.

11. JuneBug

JuneBug New Member