wheel touches frame when pushing hard

wzrd

Sep 14, 2009
Hi, my first post on this forum :)

I've had this Dawes mountain bike for ten months and never had any problems with it. Last week, I noticed that when I push hard on the pedals, the rear wheel touches the frame on the left hand side. Never touches the other side, and if I turn the wheel freely, it might need a bit of truing but I'm not sure this is the case. Frame looks ok, no cracks or anything like that.

Any idea what is wrong?

Cheers!
wzrd, UK

I guess I need to ask if your rear wheel skewer is aligned and tight.

Besides wheel truing, you might also check to see if the entire wheel is misaligned in the rear wheel dropouts. If that doesn't help, it could be a bent axle.

good question, its pretty tight. I just realised there are tools for alignment, which I don't have. I tried removing the wheel and putting it back on, but still got the same problem.

I'll have another look at it, but maybe its time to visit the bike shop :)

Many Thanks!
- wzrd

wzrd said:
I've had this Dawes mountain bike for ten months and never had any problems with it. Last week, I noticed that when I push hard on the pedals, the rear wheel touches the frame on the left hand side. Never touches the other side, and if I turn the wheel freely, it might need a bit of truing but I'm not sure this is the case. Frame looks ok, no cracks or anything like that.

Any idea what is wrong?
If the wheel doesn't shift in the dropouts & is "okay" when you are pedaling normally, then you may need to tighten your spokes -- that is, someone needs to adjust the tension on the spokes.

If the wheel shifts in the dropouts & stays akimbo, then there is a problem with how well secured the wheel is in the frame ... the remedy would be to get a Shimano skewer.