wheel trouble!

Oddity

Guest
Hi,

Bit of a newbie problem here

A few weeks ago got myself a new bike, went out on it and afterwards noticed the back wheel seemed
to be slightly out of true, it was rubbing against the brake pad. When I was cleaning it up I
noticed at least three spokes were very loose, so much so that I could tighten them by hand.
Fortunately I've got a spoke key, so the problem was easily sorted. Is this a common occurence or is
it worth complaining to the shop? The rims are Mavic X139 if that's any use!

Another small concern is that there's a noticeable click when I put any force on the pedals, just
for the first few rotations then it's fine, thought at first it was the front forks but I've given
them a good bouncing and there's no sounds there so I'm guessing it's the bottom bracket/crank.

Thanks for any advice!

Steve

Steve, Shouldn't you have a sig attached, something along the lines of "To reply, take off my
trousies?" Just a thought....

Steve "another one"

You should expect the shop to tighten up the wheels after a several miles on them, post purchase that is. If you took care of it then I would not bother with saying anything to the shop. Newly built wheels should be "re-trued" after your first ride.

The clicking noise could be from bottom bracket flex or crank flex if it only occurs during the first rotation or three when you are getting going or mashing up a hill (?). It is likely your chain brushing up against your front derailleur when you torque your cranks. Look down when you are cranking hard and notice if this could be it. It could just be that the front derailleur needs to be set out half a millimeter or so. This is done easily with the limit set screws on the top (or side) of the derailleur. You would want to turn the screw with the "H" below it. A quarter turn makes a big difference with them, so if they do need adjustment be careful. Hopefully there is some useful information here and I didn't just waste your time. Take care and have fun riding.

K.

"Oddity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:MIl9b.42$%[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Bit of a newbie problem here
>
> A few weeks ago got myself a new bike, went out on it and afterwards
noticed
> the back wheel seemed to be slightly out of true, it was rubbing against
the
> brake pad. When I was cleaning it up I noticed at least three spokes were very loose, so much so
> that I could tighten them by hand. Fortunately I've got a spoke key, so the problem was easily
> sorted. Is this a common occurence or is it worth complaining to the shop? The
rims
> are Mavic X139 if that's any use!

You probably have machine-built wheels and its normal with a new wheel..

SDC

Indeed I should, well spotted. Been a while since I've used ng's!

Steve

--
remove 'MY TROUSERS' to reply.

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:30:48 +0000, Stephen Baker wrote:

> Steve, Shouldn't you have a sig attached, something along the lines of "To reply, take off my
> trousies?" Just a thought....
>
> Steve "another one"

Terrible. What if this guy really needs help, and he is confronted with this. He then begins a
downward spiral into depression, losing his friends, family, g/f b/f along the way and becomes a
recluse unbeknown to the world and.. oh I see what youre doing :)

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

"SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Oddity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:MIl9b.42$%[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Bit of a newbie problem here
> >
> > A few weeks ago got myself a new bike, went out on it and afterwards
> noticed
> > the back wheel seemed to be slightly out of true, it was rubbing against
> the
> > brake pad. When I was cleaning it up I noticed at least three spokes were very
loose,
> > so much so that I could tighten them by hand. Fortunately I've got a
spoke
> > key, so the problem was easily sorted. Is this a common occurence or is it worth complaining to
> > the shop? The
> rims
> > are Mavic X139 if that's any use!
>
> You probably have machine-built wheels and its normal with a new wheel..
>
> SDC

Normal yes, desirable no. Get it properly tensioned, stress relieved and trued.

Mike

Oddi, I had the clicking/ creaking noise comming from my bottom-bracket and I found that tightening the cranks helped alot :)

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:17:08 +0100, Oddity wrote:

> Another small concern is that there's a noticeable click when I put any force on the pedals, just
> for the first few rotations then it's fine, thought at first it was the front forks but I've given
> them a good bouncing and there's no sounds there so I'm guessing it's the bottom bracket/crank.

Make sure it's not the tips of your shoelaces hitting the cranks.

"Oddity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:MIl9b.42$%[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Bit of a newbie problem here

> A few weeks ago got myself a new bike, went out on it and afterwards
noticed
> the back wheel seemed to be slightly out of true, it was rubbing against
the
> brake pad. When I was cleaning it up I noticed at least three spokes were very loose, so much so
> that I could tighten them by hand. Fortunately I've got a spoke key, so the problem was easily
> sorted. Is this a common occurence or is it worth complaining to the shop? The
rims
> are Mavic X139 if that's any use!

You can get the shop to re-true them for you if they've got anyone working for them who can do it
well, depends on the shop. Or you can learn to do it youself, which is always a good option. There's
some excellent info at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

> Another small concern is that there's a noticeable click when I put any force on the pedals, just
> for the first few rotations then it's fine, thought at first it was the front forks but I've given
> them a good
bouncing
> and there's no sounds there so I'm guessing it's the bottom bracket/crank.

Try tightening you're crank bolts, if it's not that then the bottom bracket itself could be loose,
which depending on type you may need a special tool to tighten.

Of course if your bike shop has a free 3 month service policy as some do, then consider getting it
done early and tell them you're concerns and make sure they fix or explain them.

Also buy yourself a good cycle maintainence book I personally like Zinn and the art of Mountain
Bike maintenance ISBN: 1884737994 ,which if you're in the UK is a bit harder to come by, but
worth the wait.

> Thanks for any advice!

> Steve

No bother Philthy My latest build! http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=115079

take it back.. I just bought a new bike and the shop aligned and checked everthing, then trued the
wheels before I was given the bike.. Anytime after 30days I can take it back for a free tune-up..
news:[email protected]...