Wheel True

capwater

Sep 15, 2003
Put a year's worth of heavy riding on a set of Ksyrium Elites. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a driveside spoke loosening. Took it to the LBS and they trued it. All fine until, now I have a non-driveside spoke loose. Now I know I should bite the bullet and learn how to true it myself. My question/theory is that could the driveside spoke work somehow have loosened the non-driveside. What I'm looking for here is a theory to use to go to the LBS and request a freebie true based on the fact that possibly it wasn't done right in the first place. For what it's worth, no pot holes were hit, although I hammered the hills at 190lbs. Thoughts?

Originally posted by capwater
Put a year's worth of heavy riding on a set of Ksyrium Elites. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a driveside spoke loosening. Took it to the LBS and they trued it. All fine until, now I have a non-driveside spoke loose. Now I know I should bite the bullet and learn how to true it myself. My question/theory is that could the driveside spoke work somehow have loosened the non-driveside. What I'm looking for here is a theory to use to go to the LBS and request a freebie true based on the fact that possibly it wasn't done right in the first place. For what it's worth, no pot holes were hit, although I hammered the hills at 190lbs. Thoughts?

(Over)Load and/or rim distortion are the two causes that often cause standard spokes to loosen.
Propeitary spokes, threaded alloy rim inserts, and minimal spoking can certainly make for a larger problem.

1. Was the wheel true, centered, and tension balanced when you received it back last time?

2. What did the shop say when they gave you the wheel back last time?

3. Are all the threaded sections still fully intact? ... including the alloy tunnel to single rim wall position?

You could go back to the LBS and ask them to care for it as a "freebie" and see what their explanation is.

The wheel was true, maybe not exactly perfect, but basically ok. My concern is that a wheel shouldn't be going out of true after maybe half a dozen rides considering nothing was hit/run over. What I suspect is that they tightened the spoke enough to true it up but didn't check the tension of them all and thus one loosened up. I'll make a play for a free service when I pick it up this afternoon.