wheel truing trouble spoke

i'm taking a bad out of round spot out of a wheel i'm truing. there's
one spoke that's giving me trouble, its tightened almost to the point
that i'm going to round off the spoke nipple. the rest of the spokes
and the wheel are not over tight. is there any remedy to this problem?
thanks

On May 2, 1:19 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> i'm taking a bad out of round spot out of a wheel i'm truing. there's
> one spoke that's giving me trouble, its tightened almost to the point
> that i'm going to round off the spoke nipple. the rest of the spokes
> and the wheel are not over tight. is there any remedy to this problem?
> thanks

Is there spoke coming out the other end of the nipple? It could be
that the nipple has bottomed out on the threads.

In my experience, that's most likely to happen when the rim is bent,
and such high tension is necessary to straighten the wheel. In the
long term, it may be necessary to replace the rim, but in the short
term, a spoke 1 or2 mm shorter may help.

hey if tightening a spoke won't true up the wheel, take the wheel off the
bike, making sure the tire is
completley inflated, and with your knee, and 2 arms and hands gripping the
wheel, slightly bend the wheel. I
have saved buying another wheel doing this.
You can try it if you want. When your wheel gets this bad - not much to
loose. I still have the bike and wheel
that I have straightened this way and the rim is rideable.
"Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On May 2, 1:19 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> > i'm taking a bad out of round spot out of a wheel i'm truing. there's
> > one spoke that's giving me trouble, its tightened almost to the point
> > that i'm going to round off the spoke nipple. the rest of the spokes
> > and the wheel are not over tight. is there any remedy to this problem?
> > thanks

> Is there spoke coming out the other end of the nipple? It could be
> that the nipple has bottomed out on the threads.
>
> In my experience, that's most likely to happen when the rim is bent,
> and such high tension is necessary to straighten the wheel. In the
> long term, it may be necessary to replace the rim, but in the short
> term, a spoke 1 or2 mm shorter may help.

On Wed, 2 May 2007 18:24:06 -0700, "waterskiing greg"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>hey if tightening a spoke won't true up the wheel, take the wheel off the
>bike, making sure the tire is
>completley inflated, and with your knee, and 2 arms and hands gripping the
>wheel, slightly bend the wheel. I
>have saved buying another wheel doing this.
>You can try it if you want. When your wheel gets this bad - not much to
>loose. I still have the bike and wheel
>that I have straightened this way and the rim is rideable.

We used to do that with steel wheels on kids bikes all the time -
loosen the spokes so there's no tension, bend the wheel using your
knee as a lever. But, it only worked on side to side, not out of round
conditions.

I would not do it to an alloy wheel... too dangerous.

still me wrote:
> We used to do that with steel wheels on kids bikes all the time -
> loosen the spokes so there's no tension, bend the wheel using your
> knee as a lever. But, it only worked on side to side, not out of round
> conditions.
> I would not do it to an alloy wheel... too dangerous.

Your average bike mechanic does that every day to get the destitute out
riding. And out of the shop. Maybe not in that order. Firm grip and a
sharp pull over your knee, maybe a touch with a spoke wrench, less than
a minute.

Steel, aluminum, whatever. If the brake doesn't drag it's a victory.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org