Wheel/tyre advice please

Suffolk Slogger

Dec 23, 2011
I have just got back into cycling after a 15 year absence.

As a means to motivate myself, I have signed up for a 100k ride to take place in London in June 2012.

I am currently riding and training on a hardtail MTB, but the 100k ride will be on roads. Is it possible to fit a MTB with Hybrid wheels and tyres to make the road work a bit easier?

If the answer is yes, can anyone reccomend good, reasonably priced products.

Cheers, Slogger

Originally Posted by Suffolk Slogger .

I have just got back into cycling after a 15 year absence.

As a means to motivate myself, I have signed up for a 100k ride to take place in London in June 2012.

I am currently riding and training on a hardtail MTB, but the 100k ride will be on roads. Is it possible to fit a MTB with Hybrid wheels and tyres to make the road work a bit easier?

If the answer is yes, can anyone reccomend good, reasonably priced products.

Cheers, Slogger
Several companies make road tires for mountain bikes. I had good luck with Specialized Fatboy tires when I was using a beat-up MTB as a campus bike.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Several companies make road tires for mountain bikes. I had good luck with Specialized Fatboy tires when I was using a beat-up MTB as a campus bike.

Good advice. I would add this advice for the ride, find the most narrow tire that will fit your rim safely or that you will find comfortable. Probably in the 28-32mm range. This will improve handling and rolling resistance, which will make the 100km pass quickly.

Also, you should be able to use your current wheels, just mount the new tires on you current rims and save some money.

Alienator & Look 566 Rider - many thanks for your feed back, really helpful!!

I have been looking at the Specialized tyre and also found the Continental Travel Contact - anyone got any experience of this product?

Slogger

Originally Posted by Suffolk Slogger .

Alienator & Look 566 Rider - many thanks for your feed back, really helpful!!

I have been looking at the Specialized tyre and also found the Continental Travel Contact - anyone got any experience of this product?

Slogger
I've not used the Conti Travel Contact, but people that have used it seem to dig it. It would be a bit more appropriate than the Specialized Fatboy if you ride the occasional gravel or dirt road (metal road if you're an antipodean).