Wheel update noticeable

tk49

Dec 30, 2006
I would like to know if there is a difference noticeable in everyday riding when i switch from my standard Mavic Aksiums to lets say Easton Circuits, Fulcrum R3, Campa Eurus or a handbuild set.
The weight is a non issue as that is only a minor if not theoretical gain and mostly for pro's.

Bike info.
Alu frame
Me: lightweight and i ride light gears
I ride mostly on the flats and occasionally some hills. No competition of any kind.

Can anybody give me a reason or better a good argument to switch or is it more a bling bling affair switching to other wheels for my kind of riding.

Lets hear it.

OK....from a purely scientific perspective, you won't probably won't notice any difference...unless you change to wheels which are more aerodynamic than what you are using now. OTOH, I'm sure many people will tell you differently. Personally, I have different sets of wheels for racing and training, simply in case I trash a set - then I have back-ups. And, the "race-only" wheels see less mileage and should stay in true longer than my training set. Yes, they are lighter....and that is a good psychological boost :D it also makes the bike lighter for when I put it on top of the car at the end of a race ;)
So, to answer your question: Unless you really want to gain that extra .5 kph or so on the flats with aero wheels, and you're not racing, then why bother? The aksiums should be just fine.

As you are not racing then the only reason to upgrade is if you will enjoy riding on new wheels better than the existing ones. The difference in the ride will be measured in seconds.

I suggest Get a 'good' well reputed set (campag Eurus) that you genuinely think is aero, responsive and fast and it will be more aero and responsive than any wheelset you'd buy after you had genuine scientific knowledge (tee he he) imprinted upon you. If you believe it is fast, you would be subconsciously able to push yourself a little harder. If you start to believe that every wheel is essentially the same, then the small bosst could disappear.

EDIT: Looking back it did read quite badly

bobbyOCR said:
Do not ask these questions. Get a 'good' well reputed set (campag Eurus) that you genuinely think is aero, responsive and fast and it will be more aero and responsive than any wheelset you'd buy after you had genuine scientific knowledge (alienator) imprinted upon you. If you believe it is fast, you would be subconsciously able to push yourself a little harder.

Did the forum rules change? Do we have to seek your permission to post?

I have to say that there are differences in the ride of different wheelsets, whether it's the vertical cushioning (if I can call it that) or lateral stiffness or ability to roll. But a more expensive wheel may have characteristics that's not necessarily perceived to be better for all riders. So you just can't use price and reputation to be the judge on this issue, you really need to try them out yourself and see if YOU can feel the difference and decide on value.

thomas_cho said:
I think BobbyOCR is setting up a death match with Alienator... Stay tuned to this channel! :D

thomas_cho said:
Yes. You do.

Joking, looking back it did read like that. It was a suggestion, but it was my error and I can see how it read with a condescending tone. I was going more along the lines of, before reading all the scientific information that will eventually find its way into the post, go and try different wheels.

sogood said:
I think BobbyOCR is setting up a death match with Alienator... Stay tuned to this channel! :D
HELL YES :D:p

Thanks everybody for your comments and advices. It's being appreciated.

I was allready a bit afraid it would be like this as several reviews show in a graphical way that the actual gain for the average rider is practicly zero.
I just wanted to hear it from others to combine the theorie and the real thing.

Due to the limited gain the best thing to do is just ride with them until the rims are worn and than consider a more aero rim or maybe a handbuilt set that works for me and my riding.

Again tanks everybody also on behalf of my wallet :)

tk49 said:
Thanks everybody for your comments and advices. It's being appreciated.

I was allready a bit afraid it would be like this as several reviews show in a graphical way that the actual gain for the average rider is practicly zero.
I just wanted to hear it from others to combine the theorie and the real thing.

Due to the limited gain the best thing to do is just ride with them until the rims are worn and than consider a more aero rim or maybe a handbuilt set that works for me and my riding.

Again tanks everybody also on behalf of my wallet :)
I think your hubs will wear out faster than your rims, but are easily serviced. Aksiums are Mavic's 'bombproof' wheels (and, funnily enough, they have nearly the exact same aerodynamics as Ksyriums.) Have fun riding

I went from Shimano 550 on my Giant to Mavic ES and YES there was a large difference.
Easier to accelerate. The stiffness was noticeable.
Don't know if there is much difference between what you have already and what your thinking of getting. There certainly was between my choices.

usually, the only time people will notice a big difference is if they've gone from crappy, worn out hubs (especially the rear) to new smooooooth hubs, and/or the new wheels are stiffer.

DesFlurane said:
I went from Shimano 550 on my Giant to Mavic ES and YES there was a large difference.
Easier to accelerate. The stiffness was noticeable.
Don't know if there is much difference between what you have already and what your thinking of getting. There certainly was between my choices.
Mavic have great marketing skills.

bobbyOCR said:
Mavic have great marketing skills.
+1

Power over the mind is one of them. And having beautifully designed appearance contributes to this power.