Wheel upgrade advice

Paradrenaline

Oct 27, 2020
Wanted some advice on upgrading my wheels. I’m still riding my tarmac sl2 comp because I absolutely still love it but I’m looking to upgrade my wheels from the stock Fulcrum Racing 6. The bike is a 10 speed, rim break and I weight about 200lbs. I ride mostly flats with moderate cross winds but do take some trips out to big climbs. My concern with the trend towards wider wheels and tires is finding something that’ll fit. Looking for something fast and keep it below $1500 for the set. Really appreciate any advice.

thanks!
Dan

You are only interested in fast and not durable for street use?

I've seen those fast carbon wheels crack on our potholed and cracked up roads, I've seen cyclists having to carry their bikes over railroad tracks so as not to damage their carbon rims.

A good tough rim is DT Swiss 1600 Spline, it's reasonably fast yet durable and way under your budget!

Another option if you want tubeless, which I don't see the point, but anyways are the Hunt Race Season Aero wide tubeless ready rims.

If you're saying "I don't give a rats **** about reliability on the street, and I want a carbon wheelset, and I want a fast racing wheelset", then consider Campy Bora 45 WTO wheelset.

There is a middle of the road wheelset, it's the Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST.

Of course, there are thousands of wheelsets, I don't have the time to list more good prospects, I'll let others list some more for you. So I listed just a few very good candidates for you to research and consider.

I am a Clyde rider and will say I use strong wheels. 32 spoke Deep V rims because I have thrashed too many hand built wheels in lower profile rims like Mavic Open Pro. I get about 2,000 miles out of low profile rims. The 30 mm deep v rims give me great mileage and are very durable. I can't afford to have wheels built every 2000 mile looking to go light.

FTR, I would do a lot of climbing preparing for big rides and timed events consisting of 100 miles and 12,000 ft of gain.

The thing to me is that I have had a ton of friends tell me that I should go with a lighter faster low spoke count aerodynamic set of wheels. But yet, when I ride, they still suck my wheel even after they swear that they get a 2 mph increase of speed out of the wheel.

I think more the placebo effect. The strong fast guys are going to be fast and strong no matter what. I will say too, that if I train, my wheels feel much lighter when I am in shape. I never noticed any kind of drag with my wheels. I have even been climbing in the mountains, catching guys then having them preach to me that I need lighter wheels. WTH, I just caught and passed you on a 20 mile mountain climb of 5,000 ft. :D One guy was telling me such nonsense when his front wheel fell apart ha ha ha! (Mavic Ksyrium). I found it funny he was telling me to ditch my Ultegra hubs too saying they were to heavy. WTH! I think these guys have more money than brains ha ha ha! Mine didn't fall apart on the ride. :p

Then I have a really super duper climbing friend that was posting on a local forum. Super fast guy, super climber. Guy was climbing 7,000 ft on every ride, and fast. He had a Specialized bike, not sure of model but a nice one. He invested $2000 into some higher end light climbing wheels. Really cool looking. I ran into him on the mountain one day and asked about his wheels that he had posted on the forum. He said he wasted his money. Said they felt really cool on his first ride but that his times on Strava were not any faster than the stock wheels that came on his bike. You would think a fast guy would notice a benefit vs us average Joe types. But he said he liked them because they looked cool but he was bummed that it didn't make any difference at all.

This is the guy right here. Got plenty of cyclists friends and forum posters on my blog so I can't make this stuff up. Got a few pics of him on my blog with the stories. This is at the start of one of his 7000 ft training rides.

This guy is going to kick butt no matter what wheels he rides as long as they are decent wheels. Fulcrum, Mavic, down the list.

IMG_3058.JPG

My Lynskey came with 30mm Shimano RS500 wheels, while not the near the lightest or near the most expensive...did I say expensive? try $280 for the wheelset! But the good people at Adrenalin Bikes said that those wheels would be great for the rough roads I ride on and they were right, 7 years and over 8,000 later I haven't had to even true those wheels.

I built Deep V's with 32 spoke. My first build lasted 20,000+ miles with one minor true after 14,000. Don't really think it needed it but I did just to keep them good.

Brake surface wore out at 20,000 miles so I retired the rim as it developed a blister meaning a thin wall after too much wear.

But the rim was still straight. Just worried about a blistered rim. I've built like 15 more wheels and not one has worn out yet.

I built the wheels on my Madone back in 2014 maybe. After 15,000 miles, still no problems.

cannondale-1.jpg

I built these wheels back in 05. Rear 32 spoke Deep V with Ultegra hub. The front lower profile Mavic CXP 30 also 32 spoke 3 cross pattern on both.

These wheels are still on that bike I ride on many recent rides. But since 2012, I have only put 4,000 miles on this bike. I put all the wear on my other bikes. :D

This was 2005 on a training ride, 60 miles with 7,000 ft of gain. One a standard crank 53/39 and a 12/26 rear cassette. I mention that because I read on this forum the other day that 52/39 cranks are for people under 40 years old haha. I was 42 in the pic and used that same crank on timed events consisting of 114 miles with 12,000 ft of climbing till 2009 when I was 46. :D

But I was a skinny 230 pounds. :p

If you're riding Campagnolo their Zonda, Eurus, Shamal wheels are all strong. Also the Fulcrum wheelsets are strong and can be used with Shimano too..

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but November bicycles has some carbon wheel sets for <$1500. Has anybody tries their all road or cafe racer wheels?

I've heard that wider wheels can offer better aerodynamics and grip, but I understand your concern about compatibility with your current setup. I'd recommend looking into the Zipp 30 Course wheelset - they're 26.5mm wide (external) and should fit your Tarmac SL2 Comp. Plus, they're lightweight and durable, perfect for both flats and climbs.

However, I must disagree with the notion that wider wheels are the only way to go. While they do have benefits, they may not be the best fit for everyone, especially if you're concerned about compatibility or cost. The Zipp 30 Course wheelset is a great option that balances aerodynamics, weight, and affordability.

Remember, the most important thing is that you feel comfortable and confident on your bike. Don't let the trend towards wider wheels sway you if it's not the right choice for you. Happy cycling! :)

Dan, great question! I've been in your shoes before, and I know how important it is to get the right wheels for your bike. I'm a fan of wider wheels and tires too, but I understand your concern about compatibility with your Tarmac SL2 Comp.

First, let me assure you that there are plenty of wheelsets out there that will fit your bike and provide the performance boost you're looking for. I'd recommend looking into some mid-depth carbon wheels in the 35-45mm range. They offer a great balance of aerodynamics, weight, and durability, which is perfect for a rider like you who tackles a variety of terrain.

As for width, I'd suggest going with a wheelset that has an internal rim width of around 17-19mm. This will give you a nice, stable platform for wider tires (25mm or even 28mm), which can provide better grip, comfort, and rolling resistance.

Some wheelsets that fit your criteria and budget include the Zipp 30 Course, Reynolds Attack, and ENVE SES 3.4. All of these wheelsets have great reviews and are well-regarded in the cycling community.

One last thing to consider is whether you want to stick with rim brakes or make the switch to disc brakes. Disc brakes offer better stopping power and modulation, but they also require a different frame and fork setup. If you're happy with your current setup, there's no need to change, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hey there! Finding the right wheels for your bike can be a challenge, but don't worry, there are plenty of options out there that will work well with your Tarmac SL2 Comp.

It sounds like wider wheels and tires are your preference, and I totally get why. They can offer a great performance boost. To achieve that balance of aerodynamics, weight, and durability, I'd recommend looking into mid-depth carbon wheels in the 35-45mm range. These should do the trick, especially if you ride on a variety of terrains.

Now, let's talk about width. Going for a wheelset with an internal rim width of around 17-19mm will provide you with a stable platform for wider tires, like 25mm or even 28mm. This wider tire will enhance grip, comfort, and rolling resistance, which can make a noticeable difference in your rides.

If you're wondering about specific wheelsets that fit your criteria and budget, I'd suggest checking out the Zipp 30 Course, Reynolds Attack, and ENVE SES 3.4. They have received rave reviews from the cycling community and should be worth considering.

Lastly, have you given any thought to making the switch to disc brakes? They offer better stopping power and modulation, but they come with the requirement of a different frame and fork setup. If you're content with your current setup, stick with rim brakes. But, if you're open to exploring new options, disc brakes could be something to consider in the future.

I hope this information helps you in your search for the perfect wheels! Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

If you're looking for the right wheels for your bike, considering wider wheels and tires can offer a performance boost. Mid-depth carbon wheels in the 35-45mm range can provide the balance you're looking for. For width, aim for an internal rim width of around 17-19mm for stable support of wider tires.

As for specific wheelsets, the Zipp 30 Course, Reynolds Attack, and ENVE SES 3.4 are worth exploring. They have received positive reviews from the cycling community.

Have you thought about switching to disc brakes? While they offer better stopping power, they require a different frame and fork setup. If you're satisfied with your current setup, stick with rim brakes, but keep disc brakes in mind for the future.

I hope this information helps! Feel free to ask any further questions.

Consider the Reynolds Assault or HED Jet 6+ as well. Both are popular options. ‍♀️

I've heard good things about both the Reynolds Assault and HED Jet 6+, they're definitely popular choices. ‍♀️ When considering these options, it's important to take into account factors like aerodynamics, weight, and performance in different weather conditions. Maybe someone can share their personal experience with either of these models?

Ever tried Zipp 454 NSW or Enve SES 4.5? They claim to excel in adverse conditions . Aerodynamics & weight are important, but don't overlook comfort & durability. Agree? ��� debatable .

Comfort and durability are indeed crucial in adverse conditions. But don't forget the importance of wheel stiffness in cycling performance. Zipp 454 NSW and Enve SES 4.5 excel in this aspect, offering a stiffer ride for better power transfer. It's not just about aerodynamics and weight, but also about getting the most out of every pedal stroke.

Wheel stiffness is often overlooked, but it plays a significant role in cycling performance. A stiffer wheel, like the Zipp 454 NSW or Enve SES 4.5, provides better power transfer, allowing you to get the most out of each pedal stroke. It's not just about aerodynamics and weight; the feel of a stiff wheel is a joy that every cyclist should experience. However, don't forget about comfort and durability, as they are crucial in adverse conditions.

While wheel stiffness is important, focusing solely on it may lead to neglecting other critical factors. A wheel that's too stiff might transmit more road shock, causing discomfort on longer rides. Sure, a stiffer wheel can offer better power transfer, but it's not the only factor in cycling performance. Aerodynamics, weight, comfort, and durability also play significant roles. Overemphasizing stiffness could result in a less than ideal riding experience.