Wheel upgrade....is it worth it??

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by stuartlfsmith, Jun 10, 2011.

1. stuartlfsmith

stuartlfsmith New Member

Hello. I wonder if I could trouble you all for some advice please. I have some Mavic Aksium Race wheels and am tempted to upgrade to the Mavic Ksyrium SL. I cycle daily to work, around 25km each way with a leisure cycle once a fortnight or so. I also do one or two formal events a year which are around 130km.

These are around $1000 for the wheels. My question is it is worth it? Would there be much difference in performance etc?

I am grateful for any advice you can give me, thank you.

Tags:

2. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

You will see no performance increase with the new wheels versus your present.
    They are basically the same wheel you have just a bit lighter.
    If you desire the psychological "advantage" of buying nicer equipment and have the discretionary income to support the expenditure, by all means get what you want.
    Take that $1000 burning a hole in your pocket and go on a vacation...

3. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Hold on a second the Mavic Aksium weigh around 2625 total for both; the Mavic Ksyrium SL weigh 2130, that's a savings of 495 grams or just over a pound of rotating weight...that's a good amount of weight to lose if your racing. Note I said "IF" your racing, if your not racing then your just wasting your money for bling.

4. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

More accurately, wheelset weights are 1790 or 1795g for Aksiums and 1485g for the Ksyrium SLs.
    Still, the 300g difference would only really be of significance in a hilly race or a course with technical turns requiring constant sprints out of the corners.
    For a commuter, put less water in your water bottle(s)...

5. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I got my weight info off the internet, not sure how accurate it was, you say not...honestly I don't know!! So I trust your right. If you are right it's even less of an advantage to go with new rims, then I would say no way. BUT, IRD makes a great rim called the NioBium for less money that weighs less...well depending on who's weight is right. But a set with Ultrega hubs and 32 (per rim) Sapim spokes would cost $532 and weigh 1770 grams which you can make lighter if you spend more money on better hubs. Please note, I'm not saying these are the best and lightest wheels on the market, but they are very reasonably priced and are noted to be very durable rims.

Also check the online bike stores, there are a lot of end of season sales already starting and you can get nice wheels for cheap. Bike Nashbar has all Vuelta wheels on sale including the Team V wheelset for $390 for the set (reg $660) and you can find a coupon on line for 10% more off. They weigh 1477 grams for the set. There is only 2 reviews on that site and both rated them 4 stars.

So the Vuelta are not only a bit lighter then Mavics but it makes your wallet heavier because you have more cash to carry around.

6. ProdigalCyclist

ProdigalCyclist New Member

I agree with this 1000% Even if what tonyzach said is true and the weights are off.

500 grams (or 300 grams by tonyz's calcs) is NOT worth $1000 AT ALL... unless you are racing (and racing at a Cat 3 level or higher to be honest)

Wheels do offer a very good place for an upgrade... especially because they are rolling weight. But if you're not racing you wont notice ANY difference, other than they look "cooler."

7. rparedes

rparedes New Member

I wouldn't spend that much... try the Nuevation aero wheels, 1600 grams, 300-400 bucks or less ( I think he's running a great sale right now) . Great service, great wheels, non-proprietary spokes, hubs...
    I have the Aksiums and the Neuvations; I like the Neuvations better...

8. rparedes

rparedes New Member

Follow up to my previous post:
    the sale is actually better than what I thought:
    http://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels.html