Wheel upgrade looming; have a question about cassette

openclassmx

Jun 5, 2007
Hi all-

I have done a search so if the info is here please forgive me; I've read all I found and have a headache now. :)

I have an 05 Trek 2100 and am planning on getting a set of Fulcrum wheels (just for the bling factor). My bike has a 9 speed Shimano cassette, with 105 components except for an Ultegra rear derailleur. I think this is all bone stock.

For the question: The wheels I see are all listed as "Shimano 10" hub type. What do I need to buy other than the wheels to get going? I don't have any need to go to a 10 speed setup, I just want to get all the stuff to make my 9 speed components work in one shot so I don't have to get some piece I didn't anticipate.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: So now I do what I should have done, which is read on the Fulcrum website. They list under "maximum compatability" Campy 10, HG10, HG8/9 and HG Junior. What is not clear is, should this be taken to mean that all these cassette types are compatible out of the box?
Sorry for the noob questions but with my work hours I can never get to the LBS anyway.

openclassmx said:
For the question: The wheels I see are all listed as "Shimano 10" hub type. What do I need to buy other than the wheels to get going? I don't have any need to go to a 10 speed setup, I just want to get all the stuff to make my 9 speed components work in one shot so I don't have to get some piece I didn't anticipate.

EDIT: So now I do what I should have done, which is read on the Fulcrum website. They list under "maximum compatability" Campy 10, HG10, HG8/9 and HG Junior. What is not clear is, should this be taken to mean that all these cassette types are compatible out of the box?
You should be able to use the FULCRUM wheel as long as you specify that you want the one that is Shimano compatible. AFAIK, currently, only the Dura Ace 10-speed hubs are NOT backward compatible with 8-/9-speed Shimano/(-compatible) cassettes ...

BTW. NOT all wheels which are 9-speed Shimano compatible can accept a 10-speed cassette [because of the driveside spokes], but most can ... and, that is why the indication that the particular wheels are Shimano 10-speed compatible.

The only other thing that you may have to buy, BTW, is rim tape (maybe not) ... possibly, long valve tubes depending on the rim type.