Wheel warning

Hi cyclintom. I am 4'10" tall in my stocking feet and weigh 68kgs.
The Steve Goff is a 51cm frame and the Bianchi is a 50cm frame.
That's about the average weight of people that the wheels are designed to handle. So, as I said, when you clean the bike you might want to just check the wheels just for safety's sake.

Hi again cyclintom. The wheels are always thoroughly cleaned and the rims polished along with the hubs and the spokes every time I go out on either one of them.
Indeed I avoid riding in the rain when ever possible and definitely do not go out when bad weather threatens.
There was a time when riding in rain,snow,fog,frost and at times even ice on the roads and whatever nature could/would throw at a young and keen cyclist.
At 73yrs young I am not so reckless;if for no other reason bones break easier and the pain of coming off is just not worth it.
I did enough of that including riding in the smog of the late 50's/early 60's
I experienced the early signs of splitting around the nipples on a pair of Mavic Open Pro rims with Campagnolo hubs and regular spokes a few years back and that was when I changed over to my first pair of Mavic Aksium,they were followed with a second pair a few months later - as per the bikes in the two images.

Those Aksiums are rated for a 240 pound rider, though Mavic claims there are no weight limits on their wheels but we all know that's nonsense; so to be extra safe I would say that 220 pounds would be the idea limit. Any rim should be checked every so often for cracks around the eyelets of the rim no matter how strong those rims might be, that's just common sense. However there is no issues with those rims at below the limits I stated.

Hi Froze. Whilst I can see that I or any other fairly lightweight ride in respect of the Mavic Kysium Race rims/wheels can be relieved in the knowledge that we are blessed with our choice;my biggest fear for years has been the damage that our disgusting roads can/will/have been claiming victims of all wheel choices.

Hi Froze. Whilst I can see that I or any other fairly lightweight ride in respect of the Mavic Kysium Race rims/wheels can be relieved in the knowledge that we are blessed with our choice;my biggest fear for years has been the damage that our disgusting roads can/will/have been claiming victims of all wheel choices.

I wouldn't worry too much about crappy roads, I ride crappy roads riddled with large cracks, potholes, chip and seal, very harsh RXR crossings, etc, due to the freeze thaw cycle here in NE Indiana, I ride on Shimano RS501 rims (I have the silver series which are 6mm (30mm) deeper than the black ones) on my 2013 Lynskey only because the guy at Adrenalin Bikes talked me out of lighter wheels due to the fact I was riding on rough roads, and after 5 seasons and about 20,000 miles of riding I haven't once had to true those rims, and they're rated for a 240 pound rider, I weigh 175 on a bad day; but the point is a wheel rated for a 240 pound rider will hold up for many years at my weight, and even longer at your weight; in fact both of us will wear out the rim from brake pad use before the rim would have a spoke failure or some sort of fatigue cracks.

I haven't gone and bought race wheels because I don't race so there is no need to spend money on something I don't do, and while those Shimano wheels are a tad heavy at 1900 grams but I don't climb mountains anymore so the weight of the wheels don't bother me at all. Those rims were a good deal at just $200 for the set!