wheel wobble update

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Apr 12, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    ( and a trip to lbs)

    I trued it to the best of my ability but couldn't get it "perfect" but as a newbie wheel truer I
    wasn't too worried about at least their wasn't a thump on using my rear brake any more.

    I went to go visit the lbs guys to get a new chain. B. put the Svelte Hawaiian up on the
    workstand, double checked the chain ( you have a few months, might as well wait) and since it was
    dead on a Saturday afternoon he started poking around. I asked him about the wheel... he messed
    around with it a bit then two of them started working on it as they couldn't get it true. Finally
    Guy the wheel builder took it down to the basement to put on the wheel stand and is gone for 20
    minutes. Verdict: Penny must have hit some thing, there's a flat spot in the rim that's not
    truable. Recommendation: new wheel, but for now ride it until it gets really bad. Cost? Ouch.
    Mavic crossride rim with Mavic hub. Hubs in good shape but to build the whole new wheel is
    about$150 with the super special spokes it has. Ah, that's what I get for buying a "nice" bike. I
    guess I'll ride it until it gets really bad.

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:27:24 -0700, Penny S. wrote:

    > I went to go visit the lbs guys to get a new chain. B. put the Svelte Hawaiian up on the
    > workstand,

    This looked like it was starting to get good until I realied your LBS guy wasn't a Hawaiian.

    > build the whole new wheel is about$150 with the super special spokes it has.

    Yeah, it sux. I ended up buying a whole new wheelset because of this, and I really didn't hit the
    wheel all that hard.

  3. Penny S. wrote:

    > Cost? Ouch. Mavic crossride rim with Mavic hub. Hubs in good shape but to build the whole new
    > wheel is about$150 with the super special spokes it has. Ah, that's what I get for buying a "nice"
    > bike. I guess I'll ride it until it gets really bad.

    Don't do it until you get the package I send you!!!!!

  4. Penny S. wrote:
    > ( and a trip to lbs)
    >
    > I trued it to the best of my ability but couldn't get it "perfect" but as a newbie wheel truer I
    > wasn't too worried about at least their wasn't a thump on using my rear brake any more.
    >
    > I went to go visit the lbs guys to get a new chain. B. put the Svelte Hawaiian up on the
    > workstand, double checked the chain ( you have a few months, might as well wait) and since it was
    > dead on a Saturday afternoon he started poking around. I asked him about the wheel... he messed
    > around with it a bit then two of them started working on it as they couldn't get it true. Finally
    > Guy the wheel builder took it down to the basement to put on the wheel stand and is gone for 20
    > minutes. Verdict: Penny must have hit some thing, there's a flat spot in the rim that's not
    > truable. Recommendation: new wheel, but for now ride it until it gets really bad. Cost? Ouch.
    > Mavic crossride rim with Mavic hub. Hubs in good shape but to build the whole new wheel is
    > about$150 with the super special spokes it has. Ah, that's what I get for buying a "nice" bike. I
    > guess I'll ride it until it gets really bad.
    >
    > Penny

    no, that's what happens when you buy a bike with the latest 'fad' in wheels on it. *Most* mavic rims
    have a flat spot in them! it can be worked out if you know how. also just how 'flat' is this flat
    spot? a mm or 2 makes NO difference at all on a fat tire bike ( especialy true for disk brakes), the
    tires are likely to be that far out of round.

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    James Connell wrote:
    >> Cost? Ouch. Mavic crossride rim with Mavic hub. Hubs in good shape but to build the whole new
    >> wheel is about$150 with the super special spokes it has. Ah, that's what I get for buying a
    >> "nice" bike. I guess I'll ride it until it gets really bad.
    >>
    >> Penny
    >>

    > no, that's what happens when you buy a bike with the latest 'fad' in wheels on it. *Most* mavic
    > rims have a flat spot in them! it can be worked out if you know how. also just how 'flat' is this
    > flat spot? a mm or 2 makes NO difference at all on a fat tire bike ( especialy true for disk
    > brakes), the tires are likely to be that far out of round.

    fad eh? For all the nasty things that have been said about my bike, that's new to me. NOT being a
    bike techie and buying it used, what do I know?

    penny

  6. Penny S. wrote:

    > James Connell wrote:
    >
    >>>Cost? Ouch. Mavic crossride rim with Mavic hub. Hubs in good shape but to build the whole new
    >>>wheel is about$150 with the super special spokes it has. Ah, that's what I get for buying a
    >>>"nice" bike. I guess I'll ride it until it gets really bad.
    >>>
    >>>Penny
    >>>

    >>no, that's what happens when you buy a bike with the latest 'fad' in wheels on it. *Most* mavic
    >>rims have a flat spot in them! it can be worked out if you know how. also just how 'flat' is this
    >>flat spot? a mm or 2 makes NO difference at all on a fat tire bike ( especialy true for disk
    >>brakes), the tires are likely to be that far out of round.
    >

    > fad eh? For all the nasty things that have been said about my bike, that's new to me. NOT being a
    > bike techie and buying it used, what do I know?
    >
    > penny

    i'm not trying to diss your bike. i don't even know what bike you have.

    mavic has,in recent years, produced some real turkeys in complete wheels. their QC comes and goes as
    well. it is very common for their OEM wheels to have flat spots. Most of the rims they produce (and
    most rims anybody produces) are flat(or the opposite) in a spot. it can be fixed - i'm not going
    into how here, it would offend those who don't like big plastic mallets! as long as the brake pads
    hit the rim on the braking surface and miss the tire, it will be fine. even if it's really bad ( >
    2mm ) a change to a style of pad that has a thinner profile will still keep you riding it. a flat
    spot doesn't affect the integrity of the wheel very much at all.

  7. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "James Connell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Penny S. wrote:
    | > ( and a trip to lbs)
    | >
    | > I trued it to the best of my ability but couldn't get it "perfect" but
    as a
    | > newbie wheel truer I wasn't too worried about at least their wasn't a
    thump
    | > on using my rear brake any more.
    | >
    | > I went to go visit the lbs guys to get a new chain. B. put the Svelte Hawaiian up on the
    | > workstand, double checked the chain ( you have a few months, might as well wait) and since it
    | > was dead on a Saturday
    afternoon he
    | > started poking around. I asked him about the wheel... he messed around with it a bit then two of
    | > them started working on it as they couldn't
    get it
    | > true. Finally Guy the wheel builder took it down to the basement to put
    on
    | > the wheel stand and is gone for 20 minutes. Verdict: Penny must have hit some thing, there's a
    | > flat spot in the rim that's not truable. Recommendation: new wheel, but for now ride it until
    it
    | > gets really bad. Cost? Ouch. Mavic crossride rim with Mavic hub. Hubs in good shape but
    | > build the whole new wheel is about$150 with the super special spokes it
    has.
    | > Ah, that's what I get for buying a "nice" bike. I guess I'll ride it
    until
    | > it gets really bad.
    | >
    | > Penny
    | >

    | no, that's what happens when you buy a bike with the latest 'fad' in wheels on it. *Most* mavic
    | rims have a flat spot in them! it can be worked out if you know how. also just how 'flat' is this
    | flat spot? a mm or 2 makes NO difference at all on a fat tire bike ( especialy true for disk
    | brakes), the tires are likely to be that far out of round.

    Um, this has got me scratching my head a bit here. In the last couple years I've sold about 50 sets
    of Mavic wheels and NONE of them arrived from the factory with flat spots. Maybe we just got lucky,
    but the lion's share of them were the lower price point units. The ONLY quality control issue I had
    was a UST set with several cross-threaded nipple sockets, which they cheerfully replaced.

    Maybe I've got a "Princess and the Pea" posterior, but I sure could feel 2mm of flat spot (or maybe
    it's because I run fairly high PSI)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/10/2003

  8. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | James Connell wrote:
    | >> Cost? Ouch. Mavic crossride rim with Mavic hub. Hubs in good shape but to build the whole new
    | >> wheel is about$150 with the super special spokes it has. Ah, that's what I get for buying a
    | >> "nice" bike. I guess I'll ride it until it gets really bad.
    | >>
    | >> Penny
    | >>

    | > no, that's what happens when you buy a bike with the latest 'fad' in wheels on it. *Most* mavic
    | > rims have a flat spot in them! it can be worked out if you know how. also just how 'flat' is
    | > this flat spot? a mm or 2 makes NO difference at all on a fat tire bike ( especialy true for
    | > disk brakes), the tires are likely to be that far out of round.
    |
    | fad eh? For all the nasty things that have been said about my bike, that's new to me. NOT being a
    | bike techie and buying it used, what do I know?

    For a fad, the availability of high quality factory wheels cut my wheelbuilding almost 90%. Once we
    started selling those, the only wheels I built on a regular basis were for Clydesdale riders.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/10/2003

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    James Connell wrote:
    > Penny S. wrote:

    >>> no, that's what happens when you buy a bike with the latest 'fad' in wheels on it. *Most* mavic
    >>> rims have a flat spot in them! it can be worked out if you know how. also just how 'flat' is
    >>> this flat spot? a mm or 2 makes NO difference at all on a fat tire bike ( especialy true for
    >>> disk brakes), the tires are likely to be that far out of round.
    >>

    >> fad eh? For all the nasty things that have been said about my bike, that's new to me. NOT being a
    >> bike techie and buying it used, what do I know?
    >>
    >> penny
    >>

    > i'm not trying to diss your bike. i don't even know what bike you have.

    oh, sure. Between you and JD... good thing I"m not crying yet. But I'm close.

    > mavic has,in recent years, produced some real turkeys in complete wheels. their QC comes and goes
    > as well. it is very common for their OEM wheels to have flat spots. Most of the rims they produce
    > (and most rims anybody produces) are flat(or the opposite) in a spot. it can be fixed - i'm not
    > going into how here, it would offend those who don't like big plastic mallets!

    lay it on us....

    penny

  10. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
    > Penny S. wrote:
    >
    >> Cost? Ouch. Mavic crossride rim with Mavic hub. Hubs in good shape but to build the whole new
    >> wheel is about$150 with the super special spokes it has. Ah, that's what I get for buying a
    >> "nice" bike. I guess I'll ride it until it gets really bad.
    >

    > Don't do it until you get the package I send you!!!!!

    what, don't ride my wheel?

    .^ )

    penny