Wheel wobble

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Mar 23, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    one of my goals this year is not to pass off adjustments and repair to the hubby or LBS.

    OK, took a kids out for a short "get the kinks out" ride and right away I notice something funky
    with my rear brake. On closer inspection, the rear wheel is not true ( anymore) I checked for
    broken or super loose spokes, but don;'t have a clue what to check next, steps for trouble shooting
    or repair.

    the main symptom is that when the rear wheel rotates freely, its definitely out of whack. I"m pretty
    clueless but very trainable and have basic mechanical aptitude.

    penny

    Tags:

  2. Jeb

    Jeb Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:52:27 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >one of my goals this year is not to pass off adjustments and repair to the hubby or LBS.
    >
    >OK, took a kids out for a short "get the kinks out" ride and right away I notice something funky
    >with my rear brake. On closer inspection, the rear wheel is not true ( anymore) I checked for
    >broken or super loose spokes, but don;'t have a clue what to check next, steps for trouble shooting
    >or repair.
    >
    >the main symptom is that when the rear wheel rotates freely, its definitely out of whack. I"m
    >pretty clueless but very trainable and have basic mechanical aptitude.

    Get a spoke wrench. Then as you might guess ... you need to tighten the spokes near the "bubble" to
    pull it back ... and loosen the opposite spokes a bit at the same time. Spread the changes over
    several spokes ... not just one or two ... and more if you need to move the rim a lot. Use something
    like a brake shoe or the frame for a reference (to keep track of how far the rim is out) and go
    slow. It's possible to get the rim pretty straight this way.

    I've been tempted to buy a dial indicator for this type of thing but don't do it often enough to
    make the investment. (that's a gizmo that you could let rub on the rim and it would show you
    "runout" in .001")

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > one of my goals this year is not to pass off adjustments and repair to the hubby or LBS.
    >
    > OK, took a kids out for a short "get the kinks out" ride and right away I notice something funky
    > with my rear brake. On closer inspection, the rear wheel is not true ( anymore) I checked for
    > broken or super loose spokes, but don;'t have a clue what to check next, steps for trouble
    > shooting or repair.
    >
    > the main symptom is that when the rear wheel rotates freely, its
    definitely
    > out of whack. I"m pretty clueless but very trainable and have basic mechanical aptitude.

    Assuming the wheel's not "clunking" sideways (like my front wheel now -- hub needs overhaul, and
    axle may be tweaked), then just try to true it.

    Use/buy a good spoke wrench. Turn bike upside down and watch wheel spin between brake pads (if no
    disks, of course). You should see a definite "out of whack" spot where rim moves sideways, either
    closer to or away from pad. Isolate that section, and tighten/loosen involved spokes. (It's
    counter-intuitive, as turning nipple to right TIGHTENS spoke tension and vice versa, just like cable
    adjuster knobby thingies.) (OK, I'm no Sheldon Brown!)

    If you already knew all this (I didn't for quite a while), sorry :)

    Bill "don't listen to what Michael Paul says about my wrenching" S.

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > one of my goals this year is not to pass off adjustments and repair to the hubby or LBS.
    >
    > OK, took a kids out for a short "get the kinks out" ride and right away I notice something funky
    > with my rear brake. On closer inspection, the rear wheel is not true ( anymore) I checked for
    > broken or super loose spokes, but don;'t have a clue what to check next, steps for trouble
    > shooting or repair.
    >
    > the main symptom is that when the rear wheel rotates freely, its definitely out of whack. I"m
    > pretty clueless but very trainable and have basic mechanical aptitude.
    >
    > penny

    http://www.bbinstitute.com/manual.htm#order/download

    bottom of page "Chapter 17 Wheel Truing and Repair"

    --
    Slacker

  5. Penny S. wrote:
    > one of my goals this year is not to pass off adjustments and repair to the hubby or LBS.
    >
    > OK, took a kids out for a short "get the kinks out" ride and right away I notice something funky
    > with my rear brake. On closer inspection, the rear wheel is not true ( anymore) I checked for
    > broken or super loose spokes, but don;'t have a clue what to check next, steps for trouble
    > shooting or repair.
    >
    > the main symptom is that when the rear wheel rotates freely, its definitely out of whack. I"m
    > pretty clueless but very trainable and have basic mechanical aptitude.
    >
    > penny

    First things first, I don't think anybody has mentioned this yet: Open the QR (with the bike
    standing upright, not on a stand), smack the saddle a couple times, then tighten the QR again. An
    improperly seated QR can surprisingly closely mimic an out of true wheel.

    Jon Bond

  6. Stu

    Stu Guest

    you don't have a son call bruce do you penny maybe he got your bike and his dads mixed up but he
    swears he didn't bend the wheel go easy one him and next time dont let him fix your hubbys PDA lol

  7. Penny S. wrote:
    > I"m pretty clueless but very trainable and have basic mechanical aptitude.

    My kinda lady!

    but seriously get a copy of Jobts's book "The bicycle wheel" even if you never intend upon building
    a wheel, it will help out out greatly.

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  9. Shaun says:

    >Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> I"m pretty clueless but very trainable
    >
    >Fetch!

    That's not very nice, SR. I thought she was quite fetching already........

    ;-)

    Steve

  10. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >> I"m pretty clueless but very trainable
    >
    > Fetch!
    >
    > ',;~}
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    Fetch, my ass. Go get your own dang beer.

    penny

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun says:
    >
    > >Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >> I"m pretty clueless but very trainable
    > >
    > >Fetch!
    > >

    > That's not very nice, SR. I thought she was quite fetching
    already........

    That's because she's both alive, and in your age group.

    Shaun aRe - A rare creature indeed.

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > > Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > >> I"m pretty clueless but very trainable
    > >
    > > Fetch!
    > >
    > > ',;~}
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    >
    > Fetch, my ass. Go get your own dang beer.
    >
    > penny

    Heheheheh - nice one Penny! It's no wonder the folks 'round here love you, is it eh?

    Shaun aRe

  13. John G

    John G Guest

    Penny S. wrote:
    > Fetch, my ass.

    Must........ resist..................

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun R says:
    >
    > >That's because she's both alive, and in your age group.
    >
    > Hit him, Penny!

    She wouldn't do that, being the sweet, kind, nurturing creature she is ',;~}

    > ;-)
    >
    > Steve

    Shaun aRe - Heheheheh..........

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    John G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Penny S. wrote:
    > > Fetch, my ass.

    Heheheh - yeah, it was the fact she'd used a comma that sealed the deal for me - if she'd omitted
    that, woulda been fair game fer sure....

    Shaun aRe