wheel?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nick Drew, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Nick Drew

    Nick Drew Guest

    HAving bought a F519 wheel on an XT hub a while ago, I realised the other
    day that it's stupidly heavy. Well, 'heavy'.

    What's the strength of the X618 rim like? I was previously on X218 rims that
    came stock and discoed the rear on rocks in Moab. Poor riding, obviously. So
    I was hoping for something stronger than a 218 but lighter than an F519. Any
    suggestions? nothing too pricy (ie no crossmax).

    Cheers guys

    Nick

    Tags:

  2. bomba

    bomba Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:46:52 +0100, Nick Drew wrote:

    > HAving bought a F519 wheel on an XT hub a while ago, I realised the other
    > day that it's stupidly heavy. Well, 'heavy'.
    >
    > What's the strength of the X618 rim like? I was previously on X218 rims that
    > came stock and discoed the rear on rocks in Moab. Poor riding, obviously. So
    > I was hoping for something stronger than a 218 but lighter than an F519. Any
    > suggestions? nothing too pricy (ie no crossmax).

    Aren't 519's lighter than 618's? Anyway, good luck finding a 618, they're
    like gold dust now. The conspiracy theory is that Mavic discontinued them
    because they weren't selling any replacements.

    Um, just checked, the 618's are 10 grams lighter than the 519s. I'd say
    you'd struggle to find anything significant lighter than a 519 anyway - a
    set of Sun UFOs are pretty light, but they'd only save you 70g per rim.
    You'd save nearly as much by changing your inner tubes. If you're really
    interested in saving weight, I'd say you'd be better off look at your
    tyres.

  3. Nick Drew

    Nick Drew Guest

    > Aren't 519's lighter than 618's? Anyway, good luck finding a 618, they're
    > like gold dust now. The conspiracy theory is that Mavic discontinued them
    > because they weren't selling any replacements.
    >
    > Um, just checked, the 618's are 10 grams lighter than the 519s. I'd say
    > you'd struggle to find anything significant lighter than a 519 anyway - a
    > set of Sun UFOs are pretty light, but they'd only save you 70g per rim.
    > You'd save nearly as much by changing your inner tubes. If you're really
    > interested in saving weight, I'd say you'd be better off look at your
    > tyres.

    Is that all? F519s are really only 10 grams heavier than a 618?? Holy crap!

    I noticed this when replacing inner tubes and tyres, so the wheel was bare.
    And heavy. Like I said, I got some slicks and skinny tubes for bombing
    around London and was wondering about shaving any more rolling mass off the
    package. But I don't have a huge amount to spend on wheels, and besides I'll
    want to get back out on the singletrack when I have a car.

    Cheers
    Nick