Wheelbuild for heavy rider

Wyldsyde

Feb 4, 2008
Hey guys,

Well im onto my 3rd set of wheels. Cracked spoke holes on Bontrager select, Mavic Aksiums now Zipp Team CSC's!

To be honest with you all im over it. I ride to loose weight as im a heavy football player. I suffered from knee problems due to football and cycling has cured it, so ive caught the bug.

Being a clydesdale i didnt think id crack the Zipp being a 32 rear but i have. Very disapointing.

So I wish to build a set.

1: DT 1.2 Rims (32/32) with DT 240s hubs with DT comp or aerolite spokes. (Which spoke is better for me?)
2. DT 1.2 Rims (32/32) with Chris King Classic hubs with DT comp or aerolites.

Have considered Mavic Open Pros but Mavic are having issues in Australia right now.

My local expert wheelbuilder also recommended White Industries hubs, but i havent really heard of them and are therefore a bit sceptical.

What i want is a wheelset that is tough and easy to maintain. I love working on my bike and go to the bike shop for major things.

Chris King for a tough, easy road hub? How are they? Do you guys love them?

DT240s. I see a few pro teams use them (Astana etc) so they must be darn good. What are you thoughts?

Guys go nuts, spill you souls to me on this one!

I'm not sure what your issue with Open Pro is.

I've ripped an eyelet out, but that was my own stupidity - got the tension wrong.

I bought a new pair of rims, new hubs (ultegra) and some good DT swiss spokes and built them up myself. 6 or 7,000 km later, not a mm out. I'm about 110 kgs and am very rough.

I would recommend them - just make sure they are well built (ie - learn to do it yourself)

Scotty

Wyldsyde said:
Hey guys,

Well im onto my 3rd set of wheels. Cracked spoke holes on Bontrager select, Mavic Aksiums now Zipp Team CSC's!

To be honest with you all im over it. I ride to loose weight as im a heavy football player. I suffered from knee problems due to football and cycling has cured it, so ive caught the bug.

Being a clydesdale i didnt think id crack the Zipp being a 32 rear but i have. Very disapointing.

1: DT 1.2 Rims (32/32) with DT 240s hubs with DT comp or aerolite spokes. (Which spoke is better for me?)

Have considered Mavic Open Pros but Mavic are having issues in Australia right now.

My local expert wheelbuilder also recommended White Industries hubs, but i havent really heard of them and are therefore a bit sceptical.

What i want is a wheelset that is tough and easy to maintain. I love working on my bike and go to the bike shop for major things.

DT240s. I see a few pro teams use them (Astana etc) so they must be darn good. What are you thoughts?

Ive been told by two retailers its a supply issue and darn hard to get rims right now.

scotty72 said:
I'm not sure what your issue with Open Pro is.

I've ripped an eyelet out, but that was my own stupidity - got the tension wrong.

I bought a new pair of rims, new hubs (ultegra) and some good DT swiss spokes and built them up myself. 6 or 7,000 km later, not a mm out. I'm about 110 kgs and am very rough.

I would recommend them - just make sure they are well built (ie - learn to do it yourself)

Scotty

Wyldsyde said:
Ive been told by two retailers its a supply issue and darn hard to get rims right now.
If you're intending to buy a few things (eg, parts for two wheels) you're better off (price) mail ordering from the US.

Despite the hefty postage, you'll be miles ahead and wont get the usual bottom of the barrel **** that Aussie shops end up with due to our punt market size.

Get a nice set of durable rims, à la Mavic Open Pro or CXP33 (even tougher) in a 36 hole model. Build them with solid spokes and the hubs of your choice and I would be very surprised if you have much trouble with them.

As other posters suggested, if you are having trouble sourcing the build just order from the US or Europe.

I stacked it on a bit so for my new Giant I got some Alex DR13 rims 36 spoke with Joytech MTB Hubs! No problems! :cool:

I also build 27" steel rimed wheels on Heavy Duty BMX hubs for single speed riders. :eek:

Wyldsyde said:
Hey guys,

What the pro race teams use means nothing, since the get them free and don't really care how long they last. They can afford to swap wheels depending on rider weight and road condition, and replace them anytime there is a hint of problem.

You don't need to spend a fortune to have strong wheels built. Like scotty says, forget the high-end hubs and go with Ultegra or 105. Same philosophy for the rims and spokes: skip the expensive and lightweight race equipment. Select a good heavy-duty rim. I'd go with 36 spokes in 14 ga rather than 32....why mess around and sacrifice strength to save 100 grams on your wheels?

With a good build, you'll never worry have about your wheels again. If your expert race wheel builder doesn't want to build up such "lowly" wheels for you, shop elsewhere.

Also, make sure you use wide-enough tires to protect your wheels. 23's are too skinny for guys much over 90 kg. On 25 or 28s, you'll have better life from tires and wheels fewer flats, and actually roll faster.

Wyldsyde said:
Hey guys,

CK hugs are very expensive and very complicated, I would stay away from these and WI.
For you, why not a 36 hole wheel, at least the rear? 4 spokes weigh 28 grams but is much stronger than a 32h wheel.

Like Velocity Fusion or Mavic CXP-33. Stay away from aerolite spokes as well. They will do nothing for you except give you less reliability. Reliability is what you need, not chi-chi.

Also, hard to beat Record hubs if you are Campag kindaguy or DA if you are shimano. Aftermarket hubs add little(nothing) in terms of performance altho the DT hubs I would consider with the understanding they won't give you any more reliability or performance for the added $

So, to review..I would build you DT/DA/REcord hubs, Comp spokes all around laced 3 cross, BRASS nipps, 36 hole on the rear, 32 front using a Velocity Fusion or CXP-33.

Peter@vecchios said:
CK hugs are very expensive and very complicated, I would stay away from these and WI.

Just wondering why your down on the WI hubs too?

Peter@vecchios said:
For you, why not a 36 hole wheel, at least the rear? 4 spokes weigh 28 grams but is much stronger than a 32h wheel.

Like Velocity Fusion or Mavic CXP-33. Stay away from aerolite spokes as well. They will do nothing for you except give you less reliability. Reliability is what you need, not chi-chi.

Also, hard to beat Record hubs if you are Campag kindaguy or DA if you are shimano. Aftermarket hubs add little(nothing) in terms of performance altho the DT hubs I would consider with the understanding they won't give you any more reliability or performance for the added $

So, to review..I would build you DT/DA/REcord hubs, Comp spokes all around laced 3 cross, BRASS nipps, 36 hole on the rear, 32 front using a Velocity Fusion or CXP-33.
I again agree with Peter on this. Fusion is made in OP's country and should be relatively easy to source. I might even push toward Deep V as they are stiffer and stronger. 36 spokes rear is a very good idea.

Wyldsyde said:
Hey guys,

What kind of riding do you do? Do you race? If not, I don't know why you are trying out the wheels used by the pro-teams? I echo a sentiment that has been said before in this thread - just because a pro-team is using a certain wheel doesn't mean that it is durable, and is suitable for you.

I just do "riding for fun and fitness" but am a techhead and like to use the best i can. I go out onto smooth roads and then hit a few potholes in cycle lanes at times.

Looked at a few vids on the Chris King website and id have to say they are darn simple to service. The engineering and simplicity of a basic service is what attracted me.

I think you have misunderstood my reference to pro teams. I am not going to use pro team wheels either custom build or off the shelf and expect them to hold up. My point was simply this, the DT240s hub must be pretty good in terms of speed if we have proteams using them on time trial wheels where time really matters. Not in terms of durability or right wheel for me just because they are an awesomely quick hub. Dont care about weight.

I bought those previous wheels on advice. We thought 32 holes on a DT 1.1. rim would do, thats what the CSC's are. Bontrager Selects came on the bike, they broke so i got Aksiums for cheap.

Im not down on the WI hubs, i just dont know and cant seem to find anything on them for road use.

Will look into a 36 rear. Would love open pros but how long is the wait at the moment?

Thank you for all your suggestions thus far.

Peter@vecchios said:
Built a set of 36-hole MA2s with old Zeus hubs I had lying around, and they worked fine for helping me lose my first 25. At the time it was really hard to find a 36-hole rim. And use 25 mm tires. Then treat yourself to some lighter tires when you get under 200.

I reckon definitely get the DT RR1.2s. They're just like Deep Vs and Rigida DP18s, etc, so they're pretty stiff and strong. Thirty-two spokes should be enough, unless you're very heavy. How heavy are you?

The DT1.2s are stiffer and stronger than CXP33s. I've cracked two CXP33s and pulled an eyelet on an old Open Pro -- I was about 90kg at the time. I'm now down to about 83kg, but I still like the rigidity of the DTs.

They're also inexpensive: I got my rims for $110 each. I bought some used Ultegra hubs, so by the time I got my DT Champion spokes, the wheels only cost me $380, but I built them myself, so I obviously saved on labour.

They also look good. If you wanna cut weight, you can do so with fancy hubs.

I bought 2 of them a couple of years ago to replace 2 of my rear, cruddy old CXP30s, and I liked them so much that I now have 2 sets of them and 2 others just as rears.

ciocc_front.jpg
bmc_rear.jpg

ciocc_dts_3.jpg
cervelo_soloist_dts_3.jpg

Wyldsyde said:
My point was simply this, the DT240s hub must be pretty good in terms of speed if we have proteams using them on time trial wheels where time really matters. Not in terms of durability or right wheel for me just because they are an awesomely quick hub. Dont care about weight.
Hubs have almost nothing to do with speed. You're looking at durability and ease of servicing.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone.

I think ill go DT Swiss 1.2 32/32, White industries hubs (save me some moeny)

Fingers crossed hey!

I bought 2 more 1.2s last week, and it's funny how the weight of them varies. The lightest one I've got is 574g, and the heaviest is 581g. ??

All 32-hole

Wyldsyde said:
We thought 32 holes on a DT 1.1. rim would do, thats what the CSC's are.
I too have had 32 spoke DT 1.1 (the double eyelet version) fail - drive side spokes pulled through, and I too was told they would hold up to my (then) 105+ kg body mass. The DT 1.1 also seemed to wear out braking surfaces quickly. They did, however, have a nice feel, if that is possible.

I was then presented with two options - DT 1.2 or CXP 33. The 33s were lighter (weighed in front of me) and I was assurred the 33s were close to bullett proof. So far, and about 10000k later, all is good save that I did bend the rear rim, but that was me (hit huge pothole at 60+ kph - idiot in front did not call the hole).

I have a less heavy friend who raves about his DT 1.2. Probably two good choices.

Balderick said:
I too have had 32 spoke DT 1.1 (the double eyelet version) fail - drive side spokes pulled through, and I too was told they would hold up to my (then) 105+ kg body mass. The DT 1.1 also seemed to wear out braking surfaces quickly. They did, however, have a nice feel, if that is possible.

I was then presented with two options - DT 1.2 or CXP 33. The 33s were lighter (weighed in front of me) and I was assurred the 33s were close to bullett proof. So far, and about 10000k later, all is good save that I did bend the rear rim, but that was me (hit huge pothole at 60+ kph - idiot in front did not call the hole).

I have a less heavy friend who raves about his DT 1.2. Probably two good choices.
I had some DT 1.1's i have now switched to open pros with the 240 hubs, i love em!! I am also a big guy....#235 and play hockey! I ride for the same reasons you do, bad knees and weight keep on riding!!