Wheelbuilder name "Wheelmaster" ?

Bob

Guest
Anyone familiar with "wheelmaster" wheel builders? DO they have a web
site ?

Thanks

Kenneth wrote:

> Bob wrote:
> >
> >Anyone familiar with "wheelmaster" wheel builders? DO they have a web
> >site ?

> Is this the place?
>
> http://thewheelmaster.com/default.htm

The guy at the link has some fundamental misunderstandings about how
bicycle wheels work. That is, he puts 9 gauge spokes in a bicycle
wheel and has the marbles to say he improved it.

One of the prospective members of my chopper club has had some wheels
built by this guy. They are impressive to look at, but I understand
they have suffered the usual affliction of wheels that are built with
too-thick spokes: chronic spoke loosening. The necessary modification
to the rims to accomodate the giant spoke nipples isn't pretty either.
I don't recommend those wheels except as a novelty that comes with a
maintenance penalty.

There is an "off brand" of spokes called Wheelmaster, which have worked
just fine for me in the past. The same outfit builds a lot of the
inexpensive generic wheels that are sold by almost every LBS around.
This one, for example:

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_info.phtml?p=01-141515&r=7

It think it's fair to categorize the wheels by the mass-market
Wheelmaster as not especially good wheels, but especially good value.
They are most likely built entirely by machine, with all that entails--
low and inconsistent spoke tension, no stress relief or spoke seating.

Chalo Colina

On 10 Aug 2005 20:31:33 -0700, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Kenneth wrote:

>> Is this the place?
>>
>> http://thewheelmaster.com/default.htm

>The guy at the link has some fundamental misunderstandings about how
>bicycle wheels work. That is, he puts 9 gauge spokes in a bicycle
>wheel and has the marbles to say he improved it.

Fortunately that's definitely not the guy!

>There is an "off brand" of spokes called Wheelmaster, which have worked
>just fine for me in the past. The same outfit builds a lot of the
>inexpensive generic wheels that are sold by almost every LBS around.
>This one, for example:
>
>http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_info.phtml?p=01-141515&r=7

>It think it's fair to categorize the wheels by the mass-market
>Wheelmaster as not especially good wheels, but especially good value.
>They are most likely built entirely by machine, with all that entails--
>low and inconsistent spoke tension, no stress relief or spoke seating.

That's closer buy not the guy either. This guy does hand built wheels,
Ritchey hubs, Aero velocity rims. May be out of Austrailia.

Dear Bob, & list:

Wheelmaster is the house brand for J&B Importers, the other major
bicycle parts/supplies distributor (Quality is the other one). J&B is
definitely downscale from QBP but they will sell to framebuilders,
which the Q will not.

I've put many miles on wheelmasters. They tend to be low-priced, like
I just got a set of WTB Laserbeams on Deore hubs with DT spokes for $50
wholesale on a blowout. Your LBS could probably order a set, they're
an August special.

Wheelmaster also imports and brands stainless spokes, they are about
40% the cost of DTs.

Well, that's the Wheelmaster I know ...

late4r

jn