Wheelbuilding: Dishing Tool Needed?

On 11 Sep 2005 21:35:20 -0700, "JeffWills" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I center my wheels by laying them on a flat surface, holding down one
>side of the rim, then measuring the height of the opposite edge off of
>the surface. Flip the wheel over and repeat. That tells me roughly how
>far my wheel is off-center. Adjust as needed. I can center the wheel
>within three iterations of this.

I've been using this method for years. Two caveats: 1) it's sort of a
PITA to have to remove the skewer each time you want to check dish,
2) you have to make sure the same amount of axle is protruding from
each side's locknut. Otherwise, no problem.

>Of course, I learned to build & true wheels on a Park TS-2 stand. Good
>tools help, but all you really need is a spoke wrench.

I can go you one better. I used to build wheels on a TS-3, the
high-zoot model with the forged arms and dial indicators. It was at
the (dearly departed) LBS that sponsored our race team. Even with all
the bells and whistles I still flipped the wheel over to check dish.
;-)