Wheelbuilding: Max "still OK" angle for spoke leaving rim?

Konstantin Shemyak

Guest
I've got a 26" wheel built 3X on Nexus 7-sp. hub, and it looks like
spokes are noticeably bent at the point where they leave the nipples.
This wheel probably should have been built 2X instead of 3X. So where
would you draw the line of "still OK" angle for spoke bending? In my
case, inclination angle is roughly 8 degrees, which is probably too much,
while with regular hub (~45mm spoke hole diameter) we get ~4 degrees, which
is considered normal, because everyone builds 3X on them. Your opinion?

Konstantin.

Konstantin Shemyak wrote:
> I've got a 26" wheel built 3X on Nexus 7-sp. hub, and it looks like
> spokes are noticeably bent at the point where they leave the nipples.
> This wheel probably should have been built 2X instead of 3X. So where
> would you draw the line of "still OK" angle for spoke bending? In my
> case, inclination angle is roughly 8 degrees, which is probably too much,
> while with regular hub (~45mm spoke hole diameter) we get ~4 degrees, which
> is considered normal, because everyone builds 3X on them. Your opinion?

Mine look like this, on a slightly smaller-flange hub (Goldtec rear
track hub):

http://www.peeble.com/bikes.spoke.jpg

My wife's bike has an 8 speed Nexus built 3x and it doesn't look as bad.
Some nipples can align themselves in the eyelets better.

Neither wheel has failed yet, anyway.