wheelbuilding questions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Can a Shimano road wheel be modified to fit a bike with 135mm rear dropout spacing, by adding a
    spacer and a longer axle?

    If I'm having a new wheel built with a road hub, does the wheelbuilder need to know the dropout
    spacing is 135mm so the wheel can be dished properly, or can I simply add the spacer and axle
    afterward?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. VP-<< Can a Shimano road wheel be modified to fit a bike with 135mm rear dropout spacing, by adding
    a spacer and a longer axle?

    Yes, either add 5mm to the left and redish by adding tension to the left side spokes(good thing) or
    add 2.5mm to each side if casstte placement and chainline is not a problem.

  3. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Can a Shimano road wheel be modified to fit a bike with 135mm rear dropout spacing, by adding a
    > spacer and a longer axle?

    Yes. However, you might want to choose XTR, XT, LX, Deore to start with.

    > If I'm having a new wheel built with a road hub, does the wheelbuilder need to know the dropout
    > spacing is 135mm so the wheel can be dished properly, or can I simply add the spacer and axle
    > afterward?

    It would make sense to build with 135 spacing to start. The dish and spoke lengths will be based on
    the 135 mm spacing.

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  4. Openworld

    Openworld Guest

    Tell the wheel builder first. He will set up the axle for you. I dont see the point of buying a hand
    built or even trued wheel, only to alter it straight away. If the wheel is to be swapped between 2
    differantly spaced bikes then I would invest in two wheels. or put half spacers on either
    side-thereby not messing the dish-but check out your chainline first. "Mike" <[email protected]>
    > Can a Shimano road wheel be modified to fit a bike with 135mm rear dropout spacing, by adding a
    > spacer and a longer axle?
    >
    > If I'm having a new wheel built with a road hub, does the wheelbuilder need to know the dropout
    > spacing is 135mm so the wheel can be dished properly, or can I simply add the spacer and axle
    > afterward?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

  5. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:32:45 +0000 (UTC), "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If the wheel is to be swapped between 2 differantly spaced bikes then I would invest in two wheels.
    >or put half spacers on either side-thereby not messing the dish-but check out your chainline first.

    I'd build the wheel to 132.5 spacing.