Wheelmasters?

Originally Posted by alienator .

Nope. Brakes might put a limit on how large of a tire can put on a rim, and likewise fork clearance might limit how large of a tire can be put on a rim, but neither have anything to do with the optimal tire size for rim. Optimum tire size for a rim is entirely a function of internal rim width, type of tire retention (tubular, clincher, tubeless), security of retention vs. tire size, and tire performance as a function of tire size and internal rim width.
The instructions that come with my GP4000s tires state that tires must be matched to the rim width, per DIN 7800. A table is provided, which shows that 20 mm tires must be mounted only on 13c rims, 23's can use 13 or 15c. 25mm tires can be mounted to 13,15, or17c widths, etc. 57mm wide tires require a 25c rim, that's the only size listed for them.

dhk2 said:
The instructions that come with my GP4000s tires state that tires must be matched to the rim width, per DIN 7800.  A table is provided, which shows that 20 mm tires must be mounted only on 13c rims, 23's can use 13 or 15c.  25mm tires can be mounted to 13,15, or17c widths, etc.  57mm wide tires require a 25c rim, that's the only size listed for them.   
I think this chart follows that standard. The chart is outdated with respect to current fitments in the wide wheel trend.

I think this chart follows that standard. The chart is outdated with respect to current fitments in the wide wheel trend.

That's a really cute chart, but I hardly think that it is as definitive as you -- or, possibly it's creator OR anyone else -- would ever have liked to have thought regardless of the hip trend toward wider rims possibly making it a bit out-of-date in your mind ...

While it provides interesting parameters, it must EITHER have been created by someone whose real world knowledge is limited OR you are ignoring-or-leaving-out a lot of information which may have accompanied the chart ...

Because, it ignores the fact that MTBers have been putting 2.1" (that's 53mm) tires on rims with 17mm bead-to-bead rims at 45psi +/- for well over a decade AND LIVED!!

• yes, some people probably put 2.3" (58mm) tires on 17mm bead-to-bead rims ... AND LIVED!!!
  • I believe that the wheels on the first generation of 29er bikes frequently had 622-17 rims ...
  • pretty incredible, n'èst-çe pas!?!

Quote: Originally Posted by dhk2

FYI, actually the R500 wheel specs say they are recommended for tires from 19-28mm. IMO, installing a 58mm tire on this rim would be dangerous, because the engagement of the tire bead with the rim hooks would be compromised. The spec limitations have nothing to do with brake clearance, but everything to do with the safety of the tire retention. Sure, it could theoretically be done, but not really a safe idea.

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)] [/COLOR]
(see above!)

FYI. The brake pads are typically set a distance from the rim's braking surface which either the shop mechanic prefers OR which the rider prefers ... hopefully, the latter, but some rider's don't know better & simply go with how their bike comes (back) to them from the shop ...

• the brake pad offset is not fixed & varies with brake pad wear if not adjusted

THAT offset distance, even with the quick release open, generally limits the sidewall clearance unless installing-and-removing a deflated-or-partially-inflated tire is one's preferred modus operandi ...

• regardless, Installing a tire whose sidewall does not exceed the rim's width is never a good idea ...
  • installing a tire whose sidewall is merely "equal to" the rim's width might be "okay" ... but, that tire sits too low in the rim, too, and places the rim in some jeopardy and means that the rim should really be narrower
  • generally, the cross section of an inflated tire exceeds the width of the rim's braking surface

Of course, the cross section of tires of the same theoretical size varies with brands ...

• and, the OPEN brake calipers limit an inflated tire's cross section which will fit between the pads ...
  • ergo, in the real world, the brake calipers determine the optimum tire size for a given rim

I see, Alfie, you can't respond with actual critical thought. The chart is either made from DIN specs or from ERTRO. So, spray all you want, if you think it gives you or claims credibility. Just because something has been done, doesn't make it optimal. 19-20mm tires used to popular on the road, but that didn't make them optimal. Likewise, the use of 53 or 51mm tires on narrow rims isn't necessarily optimal just because it has been done or can be done. I know you don't have any scientific or technical intuition, so it's unlikely that you understand what "optimal" means. You might want to look it up. You might also want to discuss with actual tire engineers or people from tire companies to find what they consider optimal. You should try learning, Alfie. That's what industry does. It learns and makes improvements. For example, you think wider rims are fashion or fad, but you apparently haven't actually stopped and considered why wider rims for a given tire size could be or are optimal. Perhaps, you're not able to understand. I really don't expect a critically thought out response from you, as it sure does seem as if critical thought isn't something in your "tool box".

Alex rims says:

http://www.alexrims.com/faq_detail.asp?cat=1&cat2=9

I have the Alex TA-19 26" rims. It says 18 mm is the size across, so can I safely use a 47mm wide tire? Or should I stick with a 37mm (the next option down). I"m riding almost exclusively on the paved street.
The recommend tire for TA19 is 1.5"~2.0".

18 MM rim with 50 MM tire. No problem.

DIN specs...for Churmans that can't wipe their asses without consulting 'the rulz'.

alien conveniently forgot to post this information from our deceased god of cycling, Sheldon the Brown, with his chart:

[SIZE= 18px]Note: This chart may err a bit on the side of caution. [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Many cyclists exceed the recommended widths with no problem[/COLOR].[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Be sure and color within the lines.[/SIZE]

Just to be sure we're all on the same page, here's an image of the type of bike in question;

Any questions?

I see, Alfie, you can't respond with actual critical thought. The chart is either made from DIN specs or from ERTRO. So, spray all you want, if you think it gives you or claims credibility.

Just because something has been done, doesn't make it optimal. 19-20mm tires used to popular on the road, but that didn't make them optimal. Likewise, the use of 53 or 51mm tires on narrow rims isn't necessarily optimal just because it has been done or can be done. I know you don't have any scientific or technical intuition, so it's unlikely that you understand what "optimal" means. You might want to look it up. You might also want to discuss with actual tire engineers or people from tire companies to find what they consider optimal.

You should try learning, Alfie. That's what industry does. It learns and makes improvements. For example, you think wider rims are fashion or fad, but you apparently haven't actually stopped and considered why wider rims for a given tire size could be or are optimal. Perhaps, you're not able to understand.

I really don't expect a critically thought out response from you, as it sure does seem as if critical thought isn't something in your "tool box".
It's almost cute & often pretty amusing to watch you flail-away ...

• certainly, this particular instance where you are trying to defend the chart which you posted falls into the former category ...

Because, despite your never ending ability to ferret out various graphs-and-graphics, YOU manage to demonstrate surprising lack of critical reading skills!

That you have embraced cycling so wholeheartedly is commendable, but that you have gaps in your historical knowledge is clear ...

Since 'I' do my cycling in the real world, what someone arbitrarily thinks is optimal when a bicycle wheel & tire are sequestered away from an actual bicycle frame is of limited concern to me other than as a hypothetical parameter ...

• based on your comments, it would seem that you failed to read beyond the first sentence where 'I' observed that 53mm wide tires were commonly used on rims with 17mm bead-to-bead MTB wheels ...
  • or, you have limited comprehension skills

If you were not as (comparatively) new to the sport as you are, then YOU might realize why it is that 19mm-20mm tires became popular about 30 years ago ...

It is MY OBSERVATION, for YOUR information, that the phenomena can be easily attributed to the pendulum swinging from the relative extreme of 27" tires (622-32 equivalent, or larger) to 700c clinchers coinciding with the aero movement in tubing/etc. which ([COLOR= rgb(128, 128, 128)]in the minds of the cognoscenti[/COLOR]) necessitated the smaller tire sizes ...

• to MY chagrin, that subsequently meant that the 700x25 equivalent of sew-up tires became all but impossible to acquire

For YOUR information, the 622-13 rims have the same brake surface width as a traditional tubular rim ...

• with the purpose being to facilitate wheel changes without needing to reset the brake pad offset ...

It's NOT that the bike industry "learns and makes improvements" [as YOU have declared] as much as some of the intelligentsia realizing that there was a reason that a 27" wheel's rim was as wide as it was-and-generally-remains ...

Just as the 622-13 rim was a response to facilitating tire changes, the proliferation of tubular CX tires (yes, tubular CX tires have ALWAYS been around, but they certainly weren't particularly popular until recently) made installation-and-removal of a 622-32 equivalent tire (that's the ERTRO for a 27x1.25 tire, too, BTW, in case you didn't catch the earlier statement of equivalence) extremely tedious on the equivalent of a 622-13 rim whose brake surfaces were only 19mm apart (again, that is the width of a typical tubular rim) ...

• sew-up tires certainly do NOT need more gluing surface than the traditional tubular rims provides
  • but, if YOU want to believe that marketing spiel, well, so be it

The right person (team mechanic) must have "complained" loudly enough ... someone listened ... hence, the wider tubular rim ...

Which meant that a wider-than-622-15 clincher rim to complement the wider tubular rim became the norm in-the-pits ...

AND, lo and behold, the feedback from the riders was that fatter Road tires were more comfortable to ride on ...

• the "industry" has known THAT for decades AND (FYI) that is one of the reasons why Hybrid bikes typically come with 700x42 +/- tires
  • the 700x42 tires are necessarily mounted on wider rims because cantilever-and/or-V-brakes can only open so-far relative to the rim's braking surface ...
  • but, YOU might know that if your cycling experience wasn't limited to a "Fair View" perception of the cycling world
  • and, the boys-and-girls at the various cycling magazines might know that, too, if they weren't such toadies for the industry and so focused on selling only the higher end stuff which they are sent to play with & review

BTW. I think that the widest 700c rim which I may have is a ridiculously wide SUN 202 rim (622-19), but I have a 700x52 tire mounted on an Open Pro rim (622-15) despite it NOT being optimal combination just because 'I' can ... because, I know how to "open" the calipers ...

• yes, the straddle yoke must be unhooked to open the calipers wide enough to put the wheel in the frame otherwise the brake pads would not clear the tire's sidewalls
  • if the frame had V-brakes, then the "noodle" would have to be unhooked to clear the tire's sidewalls

As long as the tire is partially inflated, it is NOT going to come off the rim ... there is absolutely NO safety issue, per se ...

• while perhaps not ideal, the FAT tire on the NARROW rim DOES become practical if narrower tires are used in the same frame for the same reason that 622-13 clincher rims exist

FYI. If your mind were a little more historically oriented rather than stuck wherever it is, then you would realize that the PRIMARY (as in "first") function of a tire was traditionally to protect the "rim" ...

For the tire to provide traction was secondary ...

• I hope that you can-and-therefore-will accept as a given that if a tire is TOO small relative to a particular rim width will sit within the well of the clincher & typically NOT provide either the necessary protection or cornering traction ...
  • if not, then you need to do the experiment for yourself & mount a 622-19 tire in a 622-19 rim ... just as an obvious see-it-for-yourself-if-you-must example ...

So, for a bicycle (that is what we are talking about) with rim brake calipers ...

• Again, "The brake pads are typically set a distance from the rim's braking surface which either the shop mechanic prefers OR which the rider prefers ... hopefully, the latter, but some rider's don't know better & simply go with how their bike comes (back) to them from the shop ..."

Alas, a typical Road brake caliper can only "open" so-far relative to the rim's braking surface ...
... regardless of whether-or-not the intent of the tire is to protect the rim, then the largest tire which can be fit between the properly adjusted brake caliper's pads becomes the de facto "optimal" tire to use -- Q.E.D.

You fail, again, Alfie. My original comment was this: "Optimum tire size for a rim is entirely a function of internal rim width, type of tire retention (tubular, clincher, tubeless), security of retention vs. tire size, and tire performance as a function of tire size and internal rim width." Please learn what "optimal" means.

WIde tires on a narrow rim is a so-so thing. IME, it kills sidewalls quite rapidly. At least if we're talking MTB.
If you're a weekend warrior who go by car to a nice area, then ride for a couple of hours one day out of every second weekend or so then it's a non issue entirely. Other factors will most likely see you replacing the tire before the sidewalls give out. But if you start racking up the miles the results will be a lot different.
Handling will also be influenced, particularly if surface conditions promts you to try lower tire pressures.

You fail, again, Alfie. My original comment was this:

"Optimum tire size for a rim is entirely a function of internal rim width, type of tire retention (tubular, clincher, tubeless), security of retention vs. tire size, and tire performance as a function of tire size and internal rim width."

Please learn what "optimal" means.
Nope.

It is YOU who have failed ...

What may be "optimal" when the wheel is sequestered from the bike is decidedly different from when it is actually being used in a bicycle frame with rim brake calipers ...

But, you might know that if you did your own wrenching and/or weren't an apparent slave-to-the-fashion-whims of the cycling cognoscenti who are late to the game of using wider rims with a larger cross section tires ...

• to that end, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't use significantly more than 105psi in your 700c Road tires (as some people whom I know still do!) prior to the relatively recent discussion that more PSI really did not benefit rolling resistance ...

alfeng said:
Nope.   It is YOU who have failed ... What may be "optimal" when the wheel is sequestered from the bike is decidedly different from when it is actually being used in a bicycle frame with rim brake calipers ... But, you might know that if you did your own wrenching and/or weren't an apparent slave-to-the-fashion-whims of the cycling cognoscenti who are late to the game of using wider rims with a larger cross section tires ... to that end, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't use significantly more than 105psi in your 700c Road tires ([COLOR=808080]as some people whom I know still do![/COLOR]) prior to the relatively recent discussion that more PSI really did not benefit rolling resistance ...
A bike places constraints on what tires can be used, even if those tires are optimal for that rim. That's a given. So? It doesn't change what is optimal for a given tire and rim size. As for fashion whims, perhaps you ought to educate yourself. It's not fashion but fact that a given size tire on a wider rim will have less rolling resistance at a given pressure than the same tire on a narrow rim. It is a fact, not fiction, that said tire on a wider rim can be run at a lower pressure because of the larger air volume of the wider rim. While cycling has been slave to fashion, habit, and bad assumptions based on zero evidence, you take no notice of the fact that one huge evolution in cycling has resulted in all of the data that science and engineering have provided. Perhaps you are just unable to understand what that data means. The difference between what was once done and what is done now is that data supports what is done now. That cycling happened to do something once before doesn't mean that cycling actually understood the physical reality of what was being done. I really don't think anyone is interested in what you'd be surprised by, but more importantly, your inability to think objectively really opens up the possibilities one what you might be surprised by. Alas, your engrained biases put a severe limit on the surprises you'd find.

Originally Posted by dabac .

WIde tires on a narrow rim is a so-so thing. IME, it kills sidewalls quite rapidly. At least if we're talking MTB.
If you're a weekend warrior who go by car to a nice area, then ride for a couple of hours one day out of every second weekend or so then it's a non issue entirely. Other factors will most likely see you replacing the tire before the sidewalls give out. But if you start racking up the miles the results will be a lot different.
Handling will also be influenced, particularly if surface conditions promts you to try lower tire pressures.
EXCELLENT observations ...

A bike places constraints on what tires can be used, even if those tires are optimal for that rim. That's a given. So? It doesn't change what is optimal for a given tire and rim size.

As for fashion whims, perhaps you ought to educate yourself. It's not fashion but fact that a given size tire on a wider rim will have less rolling resistance at a given pressure than the same tire on a narrow rim. It is a fact, not fiction, that said tire on a wider rim can be run at a lower pressure because of the larger air volume of the wider rim. While cycling has been slave to fashion, habit, and bad assumptions based on zero evidence, you take no notice of the fact that one huge evolution in cycling has resulted in all of the data that science and engineering have provided. Perhaps you are just unable to understand what that data means. The difference between what was once done and what is done now is that data supports what is done now. That cycling happened to do something once before doesn't mean that cycling actually understood the physical reality of what was being done.

I really don't think anyone is interested in what you'd be surprised by, but more importantly, your inability to think objectively really opens up the possibilities one what you might be surprised by. Alas, your engrained biases put a severe limit on the surprises you'd find.
A lot of words ...

Are you saying anything?

alfeng said:
A lot of words ... Are you saying anything?
Yes. You just show you can't understand cogent discussion. You just show that you have to view everything through your personal biases.

Yes. You just show you can't understand cogent discussion. You just show that you have to view everything through your personal biases.
It really IS cute how you think that the so-called "discovery" revealed by the guys at VELO as new that wider rims for wider tires is science-in-action when, as I noted before & which you choose to ignore, the major bicycle manufacturers, et al, figured THAT out a long, long time ago ...

Apparently, for you, somehow declaring something which is not new to be a newly, scientifically revealed truth which you have recently been made aware of makes your disclosure something special which the rest of us should be grateful for ...

Cute!!!

alfeng said:
It really IS cute how you think that the so-called "discovery" revealed by the guys at VELO as new that wider rims for wider tires is science-in-action when, as I noted before & which you choose to ignore, the major bicycle manufacturers, et al, figured THAT out a long, long time ago ... Apparently, for you, somehow declaring something which is notnew to be a newly, scientifically revealed truth which you have recently been made aware of makes your disclosure something special which the rest of us should be grateful for ... Cute!!!  
You'll have to do better than that, Alfie. Spray away, old man. Here's something that might help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thought

You'll have to do better than that, Alfie. Spray away, old man.

Here's something that might help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thought
It is so cute how it is YOU who have shown a lack of "critical thinking" ...

Further, YOU have failed to provide any formulation OR reference for the matrix you posted ...

If YOU were employing ANY critical thought then you would realize that there isn't any consistency in corresponding set of boxes to any other set in the matrix which you posted which can be defined by a formula ...

Well, look at this ...
It is almost as interesting as the matrix which YOU posted, earlier.

I can't remember the article which referenced the chart and the source. I don't take notes on everything I read. Continue to spray, old man

"I can't remember..."

Alzheimer's disease, general dementia or just plain old stupidity?