Wheels - Advice?

mjshapiro

Oct 1, 2003
I am currently looking for a good set of training wheels. I am on the bigger side 6'1" - 190lbs and have been told I am better of getting a basic Mavic Open Pro 32h set-up. A friend of mine suggested the Campy Protons for their weight but a LBS suggeted that they were not beefy enough for my size. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Originally posted by mjshapiro
I am currently looking for a good set of training wheels. I am on the bigger side 6'1" - 190lbs and have been told I am better of getting a basic Mavic Open Pro 32h set-up. A friend of mine suggested the Campy Protons for their weight but a LBS suggeted that they were not beefy enough for my size. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

A good stout training wheel to consider would be Mavics CXP-33's, slightly heavier than the Open Pros and very stiff.

G'day,

I s'pose it depends largely on how much you want to spend.I'm a big guy (94kg) & have been training on a set of mavic 'Cosmos' for the past couple of years, (approx 20,000 km). they've never even gone out of 'true', done a spoke or anything. Naturally I'm pretty happy with these!. In contrast, my race wheels are 'Ksyrium's', that I only use for races (maybe 100km pw), they cost twice as much & I have plenty of spoke & 'trueing' problems,

cheers,

Hitchy