Wheels and Gearing for Alpine Event?

Robert Chung wrote:

>>> If you can't get up a particular hill in a given gear ratio at 40rpm, why would you think it'd
>>> be better to spin *faster*?
>>
>> Because it's more efficient, less punishing and more enjoyable to pedal at one's optimum cadence
>> - but of course the gear would have to be lower in order to be able to spin faster.
>
> What gives you the idea that it's more efficient and less punishing

Because it feels like it in practice - very strongly and definitely. I'll leave the technical
explanation to others!

> (I leave out enjoyable, which is a matter of taste)

Enjoyment is a very important factor - perhaps the most important in this case. I do agree it's a
matter of taste.

> to pedal at one's "optimum" cadence? How do you know what your optimum is?

Through experience and experimentation.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

>>> Because it's more efficient, less punishing and more enjoyable to pedal at one's optimum cadence
>>> - but of course the gear would have to be lower in order to be able to spin faster.
>>
>> What gives you the idea that it's more efficient and less punishing
>
> Because it feels like it in practice - very strongly and definitely. I'll leave the technical
> explanation to others!
>
>> (I leave out enjoyable, which is a matter of taste)
>
> Enjoyment is a very important factor - perhaps the most important in this case. I do agree it's a
> matter of taste.
>
>> to pedal at one's "optimum" cadence? How do you know what your optimum is?
>
> Through experience and experimentation.

Well, perhaps you can understand my puzzlement: I contended that it is not necessarily true that it
is ridiculous to use the same gears as a professional racer, and you objected to that. I take your
objection to mean that it *is* necessarily true that it is ridiculous, yet your evidence is personal
preference. So perhaps you can explain why your personal preference trumps everyone else's?

[email protected] (remove the polite word to reply) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Not only you, but 97% of cycling enthusiasts, are riding gears not even close to your optimum.
>
> I am a sucky climber, so it especially makes me fume when master's fatties (me) and non-fatties
> talk about sometimes "needing the 27" ; as if they are within 10% of Lance's climbing ability.
>
> Look at the math.
>
> Armstrong rides a 39x24 for Alpe d'Huez. If you watch the video of 2002 he is in that gear for
> real, it's not just a precaution.
>
> So, the best climber in the world rides a, let's call it, 39/24= ~
> 8/5= 1.6 gear,meaning there's one and sixth/tenth's wheel revs for each crankset rev.
>

> So how does your power-to-weight ratio compare to Armstrongs? Say you're 200 lbs and actualy a bit
> above average, which might be, say, 75% of Lance's sustained absolute power output. So let's say
> he weighs ~150 and can put out, for the sake of argument, 300 watts on a long climb ( I know it's
> pobably more but it's the proportions that matter here.)
>
> ( We won't even factor in that he doesn't have to carry 1) a jacket,
> 2) food, 3)more than one bottle water, 4) a spare tube, 5) a helmet,
> 6)a pump, 7) a bike that weighs more thn 15 lbs....)
>
> We won't even factor in that there's almost no way you can put out 75% of what Lance does.
>
> But still, then you could put out about 225 watts. So he's at
> 300/150= 2 watts per pound and you're at 225/200= 1.125 watts per pound.
>
> To have the same cadence available as Lance does with his gearing, you'd want the same ratio
> between your lowest gear and your watts/pound.
>
> So, if I haven't fried the cells too much since high school algebra;
>
> 1.6:2 ~~ ?:.1.125; and ? = .9;
>
> This means you need a gear where one revolution of the cranks gives .9 revolution of the wheel.
> Something like a 30-32 or so.
>
> Your idea of a 34-27, while closer to reality than the total fantasy of 39-27; is very far off.
>

> To obtain a ".9" gear in this system you would need a triple or very large rear sprocket, for
> instance a 50-40-30 with a 27 rear; or a 50-34 with a 32 rear.
>
> Roberto Heras- ROBERTO HERAS!!!- rode a TRIPLE in parts of the Vuelta; I can't believe everyone
> makes believe they only need a double even in the mountains. Isn't a little ridiculous to try to
> ride the same gears as the best climbers in the whole freaking world?
>
> -Signed; The Lard Muffin ; who absollutely INCHES up steep mountains on a MTB crankset 44-32-22
> with 12-28.

I've seen old, fat German ladies climbing the Cols with triple chainring mtn bikes. I've climbed
L'Alp d'Huez, Deux Alpes, Corcheval, Tourmalet, Madenleine, Luz Ardiden, Ventoux, etc with a
39/12-25. I think I actually used the 25 at the very top of the Tourmalet and on the steeper pitches
of the Madeleine otherwise I just "saved" it just in case. Unless your superhuman, climbing
cadence will be more like 60-70 (not 90-110).

Go train in the mountains at home and you'll do fine. Unless you're old and fat and out of shape.
Then you should just rent a Vespa. :)

-a

Robert Chung wrote:
> Well, perhaps you can understand my puzzlement: I contended that it is not necessarily true
> that it is ridiculous to use the same gears as a professional racer, and you objected to that.
> I take your objection to mean that it *is* necessarily true that it is ridiculous, yet your
> evidence is personal preference. So perhaps you can explain why your personal preference trumps
> everyone else's?

Of course it's not just about my personal preference, but through my personal experience and
observation of others, it is very obvious to me that cadence does make a difference. I believe a
cadence of higher than 40rpm is more efficient for most people. It's hardly an unusual opinion is
it? In fact it's the normal advice for cycling: keep your cadence above a crawl. Please let's now
concentrate on the real issues instead of the way I answer.....

Apart from anything else, I think leg muscles perform better when they have some relaxation and a
higher cadence provides more frequent upstrokes therefore more frequent opportunities to rest -
which is particularly useful when climbing. Momentum is generally low uphill so the moments of lower
power need to be brief.

This is less important on the flat and downhill where a more rounded or softer pedalling action can
be used as some downstrokes or whole cycles can be softened for muscle recovery without losing so
much momentum (because speed is higher or gravity may be assisting).

Please explain further if you think cadence doesn't effect efficiency.

~PB

[email protected] (Rik O'Shea) writes:

> [email protected] (remove the polite word to reply) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> Not only you, but 97% of cycling enthusiasts, are riding gears not even close to your optimum.
>>
>> I am a sucky climber, so it especially makes me fume when master's fatties (me) and non-fatties
>> talk about sometimes "needing the 27" ; as if they are within 10% of Lance's climbing ability.
>>
>> Look at the math.
>
> Below are my calculations for Armstrongs 2001 Alpe D'Huez climb. He averaged ~460W and had a
> average gear of 39 x 21. For the 10% sections he would have used a 39 x 24. Now if you weight
> 200lb and have a 23 lb bike and wish to climb at at least 65 rpm (assuming 220W output) you need a
> 39x34 or 32x28. For the steep 10% sections if you lower your cadence to ~55 the 32x28 is still
> good enough.

The point is getting to the top, not your cadence. All that matters about cadence is that it is
comfortable for you.

> So if you are 200lb and of average fitness (220W output) and want to climb Alpe D'Huez relatively
> comfortably at ~65 cadence you should use a triple. The 14.2 km climb should take you ~1hr 31 min
> at an average of 9.3 km/h.

Good grief. It's *not* that bad of a climb. I am not a climber (at 6'3"- I've shrunk!- and 215 lbs)
and it took me 1:18 with a 38 x 28. At no point was I suffering or even particularly out of breath-
since I'd never climbed a mountain before, I was not pushing very hard because I didn't know what it
would be like. In fact, the climb was enjoyable and the scenery was very nice indeed.

Climbing is not mysterious. You get on the bike and yu keep pedaling while you go uphill. If you
want to go faster, work harder. Pick the gear and cadence combination that seems comfortable. Keep
it simple. The math can be fun in its own right, but IMHO there's no need to overcomplicate
something as simple as riding a bike up a hill.

dvt <[email protected]> writes:

> One of the worst hills that any of us will climb

It's *not that bad.* At least not if you're not trying to chase Armstrong. Ignore the raavings of
Phil Ligget and the purple prose of _procycling_. I've got harder grades here in St. Paul.

David Damerell <[email protected]> writes:

> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
>>To toss in my $0.02, I think that re: climbing fitness is far more important than gears. Be
>>prepared for what you're going to do.
>
> This is, of course, true, but if you're going up the hill tomorrow you can buy a granny ring
> today. :)

Heh. If I was going up l'Alpe-d'Huez tomorrow I'd need a granny gear. I'd practically need a granny
gear to ride from here to the corner, in the shape I'm currently in!

dvt wrote:
> Rik O'Shea wrote:
>
>> Below are my calculations for Armstrongs 2001 Alpe D'Huez climb.
>

> [snip]
>
>> Power Total [W] ........................ 462.2 Power Air Resistance [W] ............... 48.0
>> 10.39% Power Rolling Resistance [W] ........... 31.6 6.83% Power Drive Train [W]
>> .................. 9.2 2.00% Power Hill [W] ......................... 373.4 80.78%
>

> That's an interesting stat. One of the worst hills that any of us will climb demonstrates about
> 19% energy loss to factors other than simply lugging our carcass up the hill. I'm not sure of the
> appropriate conclusion to this data, but it is very interesting data.
>
> Dave dvt at psu dot edu

It is interesting, but for most of us with a little less available power and lower climb speed, the
percentage of power used to push air around will be lower. Also, drafting uphill won't help us as
much as it helps the pros.

Dave Lehnen

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
: I've got harder grades here in St. Paul.

heh, heh, heh.

it's true.

just not for very long. ramsey hill or that one up the sibley highway into the park and smith
in west saint paul. or up snelling from west 7th street .. god that's a beaut, all switchbacky
and stuff.

i'll take idaho, tho. bogus basin road, highway 21. yum!
--
david reuteler [email protected]

David Reuteler <[email protected]> writes:

> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> : I've got harder grades here in St. Paul.
>
> heh, heh, heh.
>
> it's true.
>
> just not for very long. ramsey hill or that one up the sibley highway into the park and smith
> in west saint paul. or up snelling from west 7th street .. god that's a beaut, all switchbacky
> and stuff.

Yup. Ramsey's tough. The hill up Hwy 13 to Cherokee Park is a good power hill (and similar in grade
to much of Alpe-d'Huez) and features in the Lanterne Rouge Tuesday club ride as the last hill
sprint. The High Bridge up Smith St. is good, too, that's our warm-up hill on Tuesdays on the way
out. Snelling was repaved in the past few years and is a much nicer climb and a much nicer descent
than it was- too bad it comes out on West 7th, though. Yuck.

My favorite hill in town is to turn right at the foot of Ramsey Hill and climb through the little
hillside neighborhood- Irvine is the name of the street. Comes out at Western and Summit.

Ah, shoot. We got 6 inches of snow on the ground and the high didn't even make it to 0F
today. Dreams of riding a bike again someday... well, time to shake that off. Only four
months until Spring!

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

>dvt <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> One of the worst hills that any of us will climb
>
>It's *not that bad.* At least not if you're not trying to chase Armstrong. Ignore the raavings of
>Phil Ligget and the purple prose of _procycling_. I've got harder grades here in St. Paul.

Yeah, but do YOU have to deal with kids waving musette bags at your brifters? That'd make it
tougher! ;-)

Pete Biggs wrote:

> Please explain further if you think cadence doesn't effect efficiency.

Of course I think cadence affects efficiency. It's well known that, for almost everyone, the most
efficient cadence is around 60ish rpm. It's also well known that almost no experienced cyclist
chooses to ride at the most efficient cadence. Freely-chosen cadence appears to be closer to a
dependent variable than an independent one, which means that there is not a single "optimum"
cadence; furthermore, it appears that efficiency isn't even one of the independent factors to which
cadence responds.

There are very few discussions of freely-chosen cadence under real-world conditions -- most of the
research has been done in the lab where conditions can be more carefully controlled and measurements
are more precise (not to be taken as a complaint: I rather like http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/-
query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11784546&dopt=Abstract). The advent of on-bike power
meters gives us a chance to examine how cadence and gear choice varies over actual rides on hills
and flats, albeit not with the accuracy or controls of the laboratory. Keeping a grain of salt at
the ready to be taken as needed, you can read one of the few real-world examinations at:
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/rechung/wattage/components/components.html

I'm so happy I started a big discussion!

I wanted to add that we can look at 9% _average_ grades and say, well the average cadence with a
"fantasy double crankset" may be 60.

However when you're loaded with touring gear, going into a sudden gust of wind and the slope is 17%;
and there's a car passing you so you have to tightly control the bike- the _trauma_ -even momentary-
to your back while you wrench yourself along at 30 rpm just to keep going can takes a long time to
heal. The Lard Muffin knows this from his heroic experiences.

Thus the fable of the "just fine" double: the unusually strong _can_ use it, and few others know, or
want to admit they're not one of the unusually strong.

But if you're going to do self-supported serious rides like the manly Lard Muffin does
(Stelvio/Mortirolo/Ebbets) the open minded, average rider should know the reality of what he may be
doing to his back and knees when he rides a fantasy double.

THE LARD MUFFIN: 4 WEEKS ON ATKINS AND DOWN 9 LBS. 6 MONTHS TO THE DEATH RIDE Y-FOIL- ( Campy Chorus
9 spd) (44-32-22 Truvativ Crank) (12-28 cassette)

[email protected] (Rik O'Shea) writes:

> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> Climbing is not mysterious. You get on the bike and yu keep pedaling while you go uphill. If you
>> want to go faster, work harder. Pick the gear and cadence combination that seems comfortable.
>> Keep it simple. The math can be fun in its own right, but IMHO there's no need to overcomplicate
>> something as simple as riding a bike up a hill.
>
> The mathematical model doesn't lie. If you have accurate input variables (rider size, rider mass
> and so on) then its very accurate and can be used to predict all sorts of variables like cadence,
> gearing, power output and velocity.

Like I said, the math can be a fun thing in its own right. But it's not climbing the hill.

> Cadence for climbing is very much a personal thing - most riders when climbing seem to prefence a
> lower cadence (60-65 rpm) than when riding on the flat. Armstrong is an exception if not
> exceptional; his prefenced cadence when attacking, or riding aggressively is 90+. The theory here
> is that this reduces torque or pedal force required per pedal revolution since "power =
> pedal_force X cadence".

Pedal force, not torque. Armstrong is an exception, but he is not singular.

> I recommend having gearing for long climbs that allow you to pedal at least in the range 60-65
> rpm, since generally below this gearing you often resort to climbing out of the saddle which isn't
> as efficent especially if you are a big rider (generally produces a higher heart rate at the same
> power) as seated climbing.

And yet some people prefer to climb standing, even some big guys, and a lower cadence works better
for this. For example Jobst isn't exactly tiny, and he's been climbing the Alps for 44 years so far-
in big gears, standing almost all the way. Your model doesn't really take into account individual
morphology and psychology which account for a lot on long climbs. Fitness is more important than
gearing, IMHO.

> The last thing you need on an Apline climb is to be struggling out of the saddle at a low cadence
> on your lowest gear - you'll end up stopping to recover. The best option is a triple. If you want
> a double ensure you have Alpine gearing.

As I've said a number of times, my 38 x 28 was fine all over the Alps. I rode Alpe-d'Huez, Col de
Sarenne, Glandon/Croix de Fer, Telegraphe, Galibier, Lauteret, Izoard, Vars, Cayolle, Valberg, Col
d'Eze with this gearing. It was low enough. One riding partner did all those hills with a 39 x 25
low gear, and he was not only comfortable but her also beat me to the top by 10-15 minutes on most
climbs. Our other riding partners, with triples, were 10-20 minutes behind me.

> As for hard climbs see the following monster from Spain; http://tinyurl.com/28nmd
>
> Even the best climbers in the world use a triple on it - it's more a case of of just getting to
> the top than racing. I dont think many (if any) recreational rider could ride to the top in one go
> (maintaining an average 4 mph) regardless of gearing - the average power requirement would be just
> too much placing you well over threshold.

Which is not where the OP is riding. He wanted to know about gearing for an Alpine ride, where the
grades are not this steep. Riding the Alps is a lovely experience. The scenery is incredible, the
roads are beautiful, the food and accomodations are fantastic. It's a blast and every cyclist should
do it at least once. The climbs are long but not brutally hard- why make it seem like they are? What
does that add to the experience? Nothing- it detracts.

[email protected] (remove the polite word to reply) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> (snipped) We won't even factor in that there's almost no way you can put out 75% of what
> Lance does.
>
> But still, then you could put out about 225 watts. So he's at
> 300/150= 2 watts per pound and you're at 225/200= 1.125 watts per pound.

A fit person at 200 lbs will put out significantly more power than a similarly fit person of 165,
offsetting to some degree the extra weight they're carrying.

> To have the same cadence available as Lance does with his gearing, you'd want the same ratio
> between your lowest gear and your watts/pound.

LA uses a cadence on the climbs that is high even by pro standards. Most riders probably will not
want to try to match his climbing cadence.

> Your idea of a 34-27, while closer to reality than the total fantasy of 39-27; is very far off.

Maybe, maybe not. (Actually it was a 34x23.)

> (snipped) Roberto Heras- ROBERTO HERAS!!!- rode a TRIPLE in parts of the Vuelta; I can't believe
> everyone makes believe they only need a double even in the mountains. Isn't a little ridiculous to
> try to ride the same gears as the best climbers in the whole freaking world?

My understanding is that the Vuelta has significant climbs in it that are much steeper than the
famous climbs of the Tour.

I don't think we have enough information about the original poster's riding style to answer his
questions. If his riding style is toward higher rpm, he may want to gear lower. Is this event the
high point of his trip and is he willing to go like there's no tomorrow, or will he have to get up
the next day and go another 200km?

I am going to take a wild guess and suggest that he knows his own abilities well enough that the
equipment he is considering using is probably close to what will work for him. If he doesn't know
his own ability that well, then he should test himself. But I don't think he's asking for us to tell
him to completely revise his riding style for climbing, I think he is asking questions with more
subtle significance. So, I'd guess that there is a very good chance that his existing setup will do
the job just fine, and I see little to gain from changing to a compact drivetrain and losing a
little low gear. I would just make sure that I did some long rides with some hard climbs with the
equipment I have, and make sure that the next morning I was able to get up and do the day's work,
whatever that might be. Once you are certain that you can do the ride without resorting to your
bailout, then you could consider a setup that will give you a closer ratio. If you find yourself
flagging on the last climb at the end of a long ride you *may* want to consider lower gearing, or
maybe not. If the Cantal ride is truly a race, there's not much to gain by going to a lower gearing-
you'll just get to spin more after you're dropped.

On the wheels, if I only had one set, I would make it the lightest I knew to be reliable under
racing conditions (where you don't always have the luxury of avoiding bad pavement) for my size, and
I would use traditional spokes that can be replaced anywhere. Maybe a few ounces don't make a
difference, but I don't think that has been proven, and for the climbing you're looking at, you
might as well go light over aero.

JP

David Reuteler <[email protected]> writes:

> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Yup. Ramsey's tough.
>
> is this the steepest? alternately what is the steepest hill in saint paul? (ot, are there any in
> minneapolis at all? .. iirc, the highest point in minneapolis is 50th and nicollet).

I think Ramsey hill is the steepest in St. Paul. South St. Paul has some good hills such as Butler
going up from Concord to Smith. Minneapolis is appreciably flatter. The hill on the Minnehaha Falls
- Ft. Snelling bike trail is pretty steep, and comes out to a nice newly paved trail crossing the
Mendota Bridge.

> : The hill up Hwy 13 to Cherokee Park is a good : power hill (and
> similar in grade to much of Alpe-d'Huez) and features : in the Lanterne Rouge Tuesday club ride as
> the last hill sprint.
>
> but this one is my favorite. the real beauty of this hill is that you can sneak it up on people.
> after you pass 35e the road is flat and the first bit of the hill snakes up into the trees on the
> right .. you can't see in its entirety. i've snuck this hill in on many a ride with folks who
> would run the other way if confronted with ramsey hill or snelling/w 7th. even after you start it
> doesn't look so bad since you only see the first third. by the time you realize the top isn't the
> top and only half way .. well, you may as well finish. it's only a little further to go. oops,
> that's not the top either. pity that trick only works once.

Hee hee hee.

> : Snelling was repaved in the past few years : and is a much nicer
> climb and a much nicer descent than it was- too : bad it comes out on West 7th, though. Yuck.
>
> heh, i've never actually gone down that hill, only up. it used to be (and still is?) a little
> dodgey 'cause it was so narrow and winding. you'd get cars right up on your ass out of nowhere.
>
> : My favorite hill in town is to turn right at the foot of Ramsey Hill and climb through the
> : little hillside neighborhood- Irvine is the name of the street. Comes out at Western and Summit.
>
> i'll have to try that one. i've done a lot of the little neighborhood ones under the high bridge
> and they're kind of fun. up and down, up and down.

Ohio Street from Water St. up to Dodd is a good climb, steep and twisty at the beginning and then a
long ramp for power riding.

> : Ah, shoot. We got 6 inches of snow on the ground and the high
> didn't : even make it to 0F today. Dreams of riding a bike again : someday... well, time to shake
> that off. Only four months until : Spring!
>
> i've got spring dreams of weekend tours to mccall and stanley, idaho. those mississippi valley
> climbs were good practice, actually. 'specially winona.

Ah, Winona. I went to college there and lived there for a few years after, as well as in La Crosse.
I've had many, many wonderful rides in that area. I think it's cycling heaven and you could put on a
pro race to rival any of the northern Euro spring classics. I still try to get down there several
times a year to go for a ride.

> [...]

'cause it was so narrow and winding. you'd get cars right up on your ass out of nowhere.

: My favorite hill in town is to turn right at the foot of Ramsey Hill and climb through the little
: hillside neighborhood- Irvine is the name of the street. Comes out at Western and Summit.

i'll have to try that one. i've done a lot of the little neighborhood ones under the high bridge and
they're kind of fun. up and down, up and down.

: Ah, shoot. We got 6 inches of snow on the ground and the high didn't even make it to 0F
: today. Dreams of riding a bike again someday... well, time to shake that off. Only four
: months until Spring!

i've got spring dreams of weekend tours to mccall and stanley, idaho. those mississippi valley
climbs were good practice, actually. 'specially winona.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:56:01 +0100, "Robert Chung"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>It's well known that, for almost everyone, the most efficient cadence is around 60ish rpm.

I don't think that's so well known. Whenever I see somebody claiming to know what the optimum
cadence for everybody, or even somebody just suggesting an efficient cadence for most people, it's
always 80 or 90 rpm. Personally, I find that I produce more road speed with less effort at 60 rpm
in many conditions, but I had to find that out by deliberately ignoring all the advice I've ever
read or heard.

However, anybody claiming that one cadence would be most efficient for "almost everyone" is, it
would seem to me, wrong. One size does not fit all (or almost all).
--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:56:01 +0100, "Robert Chung" wrote:
>> It's well known that, for almost everyone, the most efficient cadence is around 60ish rpm.
>
> I don't think that's so well known. Whenever I see somebody claiming to know what the optimum
> cadence for everybody, or even somebody just suggesting an efficient cadence for most people, it's
> always 80 or 90 rpm. Personally, I find that I produce more road speed with less effort at 60 rpm
> in many conditions, but I had to find that out by deliberately ignoring all the advice I've ever
> read or heard.
>
> However, anybody claiming that one cadence would be most efficient for "almost everyone" is, it
> would seem to me, wrong. One size does not fit all (or almost all).

From a review of the literature entitled, "What determines the optimal cadence?" (Cycling Science,
Summer 1996, available online at: http://www.bsn.com/Cycling/articles/cadence.html):

"Gaesser and Brooks observed that at a constant power output, efficiency decreased as cadence
increased, regardless of which definition of efficiency they used. Both earlier and subsequent
studies have also shown that efficiency decreases as cadence increases at a constant power output
(Benedict and Cathcart, 1913; Dickinson, 1929; Garry and Wishart, 1931; Seabury et al, 1977; Suzuki,
1979). The conclusion from these studies is, from an efficiency standpoint, higher cadences do not
appear to be beneficial to the cyclist. Surprisingly, the cadences that produce the highest
efficiencies are approximately 50 to 60 rpm."