Wheels and hubs for touring

Gary Mishler <[email protected]> wrote:
: I've not heard of this before. How do you respace 135 to 130? Are there any disadvantages to
: doing so?

it's been mentioned here before (possibly briefly). i didn't do it myself a wrench at my lbs
(freewheel in minneapolis) did when i bought the hub. it took him all of a few minutes. if there's a
disadvantage i don't know it. the advantage may not be all that much, either, however. it continues
to give me warm fuzzies, tho. :)
--
david reuteler [email protected]

"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Wayne T <[email protected]> wrote:
> : How difficult is it to mount the 32mm tires on the Open Pros after
changing
> : a puntured tube? Can it be done by hand or are they rather tight?
Also,
> : what tires are you using?
>
> it's trivial. bontrager jones cx, avocet cross-ii 35mm (32mm real) conti tt2k and others. for
> loaded touring i'll stick by with what i said in the last post and say mavic t520s. there's no
> rational reason i can think of to go with open pros over the t520 for touring.

So long as I can put on 32mm tires like Panracer pasela K tourguards, it may be the way to go for my
wife since she only weighs 106. Add 75lbs for touring and we are only up to 181lbs total

> btw, i'd also go with shimano hubs for touring just 'cause you know every damn shop in the country
> will be able to fix 'em. i use a respaced (to
130mm)
> shimano xt hub on my touring bike.

Not sure that this is a problem. I remember breaking axles on cheap hubs but after I got better
ones, I never ever had a problem. But then again, maybe something very light like an American
Classic could fail, who knows. Also, with cassettes I'm told that axle breakage is even less likely.
> --
> david reuteler [email protected]

Wayne T <[email protected]> wrote:
: So long as I can put on 32mm tires like Panracer pasela K tourguards, it may be the way to go for
: my wife since she only weighs 106. Add 75lbs for touring and we are only up to 181lbs total

why are you worrying about under a half pound per wheelset? ime wheels are the most common
mechanical problem touring, i wouldn't even consider trimming weight from the wheels -- pitch
some gear.

: Not sure that this is a problem. I remember breaking axles on cheap hubs but after I got
: better ones, I never ever had a problem. But then again, maybe something very light like an
: American Classic could fail, who knows. Also, with cassettes I'm told that axle breakage is
: even less likely.

why spend more for less? shimano hubs are cheap, anyone can fix 'em anywhere you happen to be. i
don't think a phil wood or american classic hub solves any problem here (if you already have one
that's different. you may as well use it).
--
david reuteler [email protected]

> wayne-<< BTW, my wife weighs 106 and her builder has suggested going to 36 hole Mavic Open
> pro rims
using
> X-tra lite double butted stainless spokes.
>
> Remember her total weight will be about 150 pounds or so..I wouldn't
recommend
> Xtralite spokes--normal 14/15 will weigh about those same few ounces but
will
> be more durable.
>

> << Question, would the X-tra lite double butted stainless spokes be appropriate for heavy touring?

Funny, I had a feeling that the X-tra lites wouldn't be appropriate for heavy touring, but the
builder claimed that the X-tra lites were storng. I will stice with the 14/15s. Thanks. BTW, would
the 36H Sun CR18 rims be appropriate for heavy touring? Or would it be better to go to the slightly
heavier Mavic T520s?

> Of course not...
>

> << However, he felt that these wheels would be sturdy...enough-
>
> I always wonder why people 'overbuild' a frameset for touring reliability
and
> then skimp on their wheels....
>

> << difference of +$50. I see a trade off. The DA's would be lighter but the PWs would be lower
> maintenace. Comments?
>
> Use the Phil....

"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Wayne T <[email protected]> wrote:
> : So long as I can put on 32mm tires like Panracer pasela K tourguards, it
may
> : be the way to go for my wife since she only weighs 106. Add 75lbs for touring and we are only up
> : to 181lbs total
>
> why are you worrying about under a half pound per wheelset? ime wheels
are
> the most common mechanical problem touring, i wouldn't even consider
trimming
> weight from the wheels -- pitch some gear.

The Mavic T520s weigh in at 560 gr each and the Sun CR-18s weigh 484 gr and are 36h and 22.5mm wide
and take tires 25-35mm. Would they be sturdy enough for heavy touring. The are for 200+ riders. I'm
180 plus 75 lbs gear is 255.

> : Not sure that this is a problem. I remember breaking axles on cheap
hubs
> : but after I got better ones, I never ever had a problem. But then
again,
> : maybe something very light like an American Classic could fail, who
knows.
> : Also, with cassettes I'm told that axle breakage is even less likely.
>
> why spend more for less? shimano hubs are cheap, anyone can fix 'em
anywhere
> you happen to be. i don't think a phil wood or american classic hub
solves
> any problem here (if you already have one that's different. you may as
well
> use it).

The problem that the Phil Woods and maybe the American Classic solve is the elimination of the need
for maintenance. Unfortunately, besides adding quite a bit of weight, the Phil Woods also cost an
awful lot. BTW, please explain how I would be getting less by going to a Phil Wood instead of a
Shimano Ultegra.

"Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote in message news: <snip>
> The Mavic T520s weigh in at 560 gr each and the Sun CR-18s weigh 484 gr and are 36h and 22.5mm
> wide and take tires 25-35mm. Would they be sturdy enough for heavy touring. The are for 200+
> riders. I'm 180 plus 75 lbs gear is 255.
<snip>

Although I agree with David that perhaps you're worrying too much about weight, the CR-18 has a
great reputation among touring cyclists (check the archives at bikelist.org, for instance). It's
strong, it doesn't have machined sidewalls (meaning it'll last longer before the sidewalls wear
down) and you can generally get it for $20 less than similar rims. I haven't use it on tour yet, but
it hasn't given me any problems on my commuting bike and I'm no lightweight.

Wayne T wrote:

> The problem that the Phil Woods and maybe the American Classic solve is the elimination of the
> need for maintenance. Unfortunately, besides adding quite a bit of weight, the Phil Woods also
> cost an awful lot. BTW, please explain how I would be getting less by going to a Phil Wood instead
> of a Shimano Ultegra.

Dude, how long is your tour going to be?

"Gary Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote in message news: <snip>
> > The Mavic T520s weigh in at 560 gr each and the Sun CR-18s weigh 484 gr
and
> > are 36h and 22.5mm wide and take tires 25-35mm. Would they be sturdy enough for heavy touring.
> > The are for 200+ riders. I'm 180 plus 75 lbs gear is 255.
> <snip>
>
> Although I agree with David that perhaps you're worrying too much about weight, the CR-18 has a
> great reputation among touring cyclists (check the archives at bikelist.org, for instance). It's
> strong, it doesn't have machined sidewalls (meaning it'll last longer before the sidewalls wear
> down) and you can generally get it for $20 less than similar rims. I haven't use it on tour yet,
> but it hasn't given me any problems on my commuting bike and I'm no lightweight.

Thanks. I will do further research on the CR-18s and I will check out your web site.

"The Pomeranian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Wayne T wrote:
> >

> > The problem that the Phil Woods and maybe the American Classic solve is
the
> > elimination of the need for maintenance. Unfortunately, besides adding quite a bit of weight,
> > the Phil Woods also cost an awful lot. BTW,
please
> > explain how I would be getting less by going to a Phil Wood instead of a Shimano Ultegra.
>
> Dude, how long is your tour going to be?

That's irrelevant since I expect the majority of my rides will be on club rides. However, either
way, the PWs would require less maintenance. Also, the likelihood of getting caught in the rain on
2-8 week tour is pretty good.

"Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote:

> BTW, would the 36H Sun CR18 rims be appropriate for heavy touring? Or would it be better to go to
> the slightly heavier Mavic T520s?

I've had good luck with Sun CR-18 rims. Not a bad choice for gross bike weight of less than 300 lbs.
(With a gross bike weight of about 400 lbs., I get by, barely, on my 48 spoke CR-18 wheels.) For a
heavier load I'd suggest Sun Rhyno Lite rims in the 700c size, but that would limit your ability to
use narrow tires.

In the early '90s I used to use Mavic rims because they built up so round, so easily. After having
problems related to their brittleness, I gave them up for good. Since they became a subsidiary of
sports megacorp Adidas Salomon in 1994, they seem no longer interested in making a top quality
product, though their rims are more expensive than ever.

Chalo Colina

"Bluto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > BTW, would the 36H Sun CR18 rims be appropriate for heavy touring? Or would it be better to go
> > to the
slightly
> > heavier Mavic T520s?
>
> I've had good luck with Sun CR-18 rims. Not a bad choice for gross bike weight of less than 300
> lbs. (With a gross bike weight of about 400 lbs., I get by, barely, on my 48 spoke CR-18 wheels.)
> For a heavier load I'd suggest Sun Rhyno Lite rims in the 700c size, but that would limit your
> ability to use narrow tires.

Thank you, it sounds like the Sun CR-18 rims would be a good choice. Also, looks like I can put
tires anywhere from 25mm to 35mm. Seems like a nice range. And since I weigh 180, even if I were to
carry 100 lbs, that would still be only 280. But since I doubt i will go over 75, that is 255.

> In the early '90s I used to use Mavic rims because they built up so round, so easily. After having
> problems related to their brittleness, I gave them up for good. Since they became a subsidiary of
> sports megacorp Adidas Salomon in 1994, they seem no longer interested in making a top quality
> product, though their rims are more expensive than ever.

I glad you said something because I figured that the Mavics were a better quality. I went on the
internet and checked out reviews on the CR-18s but it appeared that all these riders were using them
on mountain bikes. Some liked them and others complained that they didn't hold up. One even said
that he couldn't find any tires. BTW, how easy is it to mount tires on these rims? Can it be done by
hand or do I have to fight with a tire iron?

> Chalo Colina

"Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Bluto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > BTW, would the 36H Sun CR18 rims be appropriate for heavy touring? Or would it be better to go
> > > to the
> slightly
> > > heavier Mavic T520s?
> >
> > I've had good luck with Sun CR-18 rims. Not a bad choice for gross bike weight of less than 300
> > lbs. (With a gross bike weight of about 400 lbs., I get by, barely, on my 48 spoke CR-18
> > wheels.) For a heavier load I'd suggest Sun Rhyno Lite rims in the 700c size, but that would
> > limit your ability to use narrow tires.
>
> Thank you, it sounds like the Sun CR-18 rims would be a good choice. Also, looks like I can put
> tires anywhere from 25mm to 35mm. Seems like a nice range. And since I weigh 180, even if I were
> to carry 100 lbs, that would still be only 280. But since I doubt i will go over 75, that is 255.
> >
> BTW, how easy is it to mount tires on these rims? Can it be done by hand or do I have to fight
> with a tire iron?

I've had some trouble mounting my Pasela Panaracer 32mm tires on my CR-18s without levers. The
CR-18s don't have a deep channel for the bead to drop into to make that last bit easy to get on. At
least, I think that's what the cause is. I haven't tried other tires on them to compare. -Jim

In article <[email protected]>, Jim <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> "Bluto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> slightly
>> >
>> > I've had good luck with Sun CR-18 rims. Not a bad choice for gross bike weight of less than 300
>> > lbs. (With a gross bike weight of about 400 lbs., I get by, barely, on my 48 spoke CR-18
>> > wheels.) For a heavier load I'd suggest Sun Rhyno Lite rims in the 700c size, but that would
>> > limit your ability to use narrow tires.
>>
>> Thank you, it sounds like the Sun CR-18 rims would be a good choice. Also, looks like I can put
>> tires anywhere from 25mm to 35mm. Seems like a nice range. And since I weigh 180, even if I were
>> to carry 100 lbs, that would still be only 280. But since I doubt i will go over 75, that is 255.
>> >
>> BTW, how easy is it to mount tires on these rims? Can it be done by hand or do I have to fight
>> with a tire iron?
>> >

>I've had some trouble mounting my Pasela Panaracer 32mm tires on my CR-18s without levers. The
>CR-18s don't have a deep channel for the bead to drop into to make that last bit easy to get on. At
>least, I think that's what the cause is. I haven't tried other tires on them to compare.

They seem to do fine on box-section Mavic rims without a deep center channel. I have used the 700x32
Pasela on Reflex, Open Pro and MA3 and haven't noticed any fitting troubles.

Wayne T wrote:

> "The Pomeranian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Wayne T wrote:
> > >

> > > The problem that the Phil Woods and maybe the American Classic solve is
> the
> > > elimination of the need for maintenance. Unfortunately, besides adding quite a bit of weight,
> > > the Phil Woods also cost an awful lot. BTW,
> please
> > > explain how I would be getting less by going to a Phil Wood instead of a Shimano Ultegra.
> >
> > Dude, how long is your tour going to be?
>
> That's irrelevant since I expect the majority of my rides will be on club rides. However, either
> way, the PWs would require less maintenance. Also, the likelihood of getting caught in the rain on
> 2-8 week tour is pretty good.

If you think rain is going to cause a need for hub "maintenance," then you are using the wrong
parts. The maintenance on Shimano hubs is pretty much repacking the bearings and I probably don't do
it any more often than every 10k mi (I don't know if that is "good," it is just what I practice
because I am lazy). If you can't ride across the country without repacking, rain or no rain, then
something isn't right.

I could care less what hubs you buy, but I have not experienced Shimano hubs as products needing "a
lot" of maintenance, or an amount of maintenance I find objectionable. I wouldn't feel bad about
riding across the country on Sora hubs, much less DA or Ultegra. But that's just me.