Wheels and tires for Schwinn Varsity Road bike...

swamesp

Aug 22, 2012
Hello guys, joined this forum from google search. You folks are helpful for newbie's like me.

I'm looking at craigslist to buy a Schwinn Varsity 12 speed road bike (basically for the frame) and put in wheels and tires. It will be used for local trip for about 5-6 miles when I go for tennis/photography...etc

So please suggest brand of wheels and tires that I should look for. This is for normal commute purpose only. i'm within a nominal budget that should fetch some good components and I don't want to go very cheap as well.

Thanks!!

This is one of the newer type aluminum frame Varsity models?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-700c-Men-s-Varsity-Road-Bike/19582523?findingMethod=rr

For $250 or so you can buy a new one with wheels and tires and seven speed rear cassette.

An el cheapo pair of wheels and rubber are going to cost about that much, but Nashbar would have some reasonable wheels on sale that would work in your Varsity frame. You can talk to their tech guys online or on the phone for size and compatibility requirements.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10053&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&orderBy=4&searchTerm=&facet=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=16&categoryId=202455&metaData=

The Vuelta wheelsets and the Easton EA50 models might work. Check you rear dropout spacing with a rule that measures in MM's and have that number ready for the sales or tech guys to verify fit.

I bought a prelude (same bike but blue in color) for $50 new at target a few years back, tuned it up and gave it to a family member shortly after. The new cheap varsities have a bolt on rear wheel, not a quick release. I am not sure if the rear hub is a freewheel or freehub. I never tried installing a halfway decent wheelset on it - it may not be compatible.

Originally Posted by swamesp .

I'm looking at craigslist to buy a Schwinn Varsity 12 speed road bike (basically for the frame) and put in wheels and tires. It will be used for local trip for about 5-6 miles when I go for tennis/photography...etc
If it's a 12-speed, chances are it was made in the late 70s through the md-'80s and has 27" x 1" or 1-1/4" wheels with a 126 mm rear axle.

I'd recommend visiting a couple of local shops to find one that has an account with J&B Importers. J&B as a few 27" wheel sets with good quick-release hubs that take 5-7 speed freewheels, and Sun Ringle or Weinmann double-wall rims. As for tires for these wheels, most family oriented shops have one 27" tire in stock. If not, well, J&B has a few of those, too. Tubes will be the same as 700c.

Somebody here is bound to recommend converting to 700c. While 700c gives you more options because if its popularity, the rims are slightly smaller and brake caliper reach might be a problem. You'll also get a lot of recommendations to spread the dropouts to 130 mm in order to accommodate a cassette hub. Without seeing the bike or knowing how much you want to spend, I'm inclined to say don't go there. Just get the highest quality direct replacement that agrees with your budget and go riding.

This is an old thread, and he should tell us if it's a VINTAGE Schwinn Varsity that he bought... Those use 27" wheels and the onl;y good modern 27" aluminum wheelset is the Sun CR18 rim / Quando sealed bearing wheelsets sold at local bike stores, ebay, or Sheldon Brown.

Here's what I bought from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271067560057?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649