Wheels - Carbon Vs Aluminum

psurrena

Oct 14, 2015
I'm building a new bike and am now researching wheels. For my money and usage, a nice pair in the 1500g neighborhood seems right. I understand the risks associated with the Chinese carbon wheels, and the benefits of using a USA Manufacturer. The Yoeleo wheels do have a warranty and do have good customer service.

My question is in real life, in this situation, is the carbon wheel worth the risks and good for my situation listed below. Also if a wheel has a 190lbs limit, at 195, am ok? Are these conservative ratings?

Here's my situation
  • Budget is +/- $550
  • I'm not a racer
  • I weigh around 195...and dropping
  • This will be one of two bikes I use to commute from Brooklyn to Manhattan (bad roads),
  • On weekends and holidays I will us this for 50 - 100+ mile rides
  • carbon frame, undecided on the Force 22 or Red 22 groupset. overall a pretty light setup.

For aluminum wheels, I'm looking at the Wiliams System 31

For carbon, I'm looking at the Chinese company Yoeleo

Thanks in advance!

"This will be one of two bikes I use to commute from Brooklyn to Manhattan (bad roads)"

You will kill most carbon wheels using them as daily drivers on **** roads. At 195 pounds, you'll kill them quickly. At 195 pounds on el cheapo carbon wheels out of a no-name factory in China they will die even faster.

Using lightweight carbon rims for commuting is inadvisable. Pick up a cheap set of wheels for the **** riding. I use Vuelta Corsa HD from nashbar, they are heavy but bulletproof for commuting and long solo rides. Maybe you can even pick up a used / unwanted set of wheels from a local bike shop.

Save the light / high performance stuff for the fun rides.

Sounds like carbon is out of the question.

Williams calls the 31 wheels "bomb proof", so I figure they would be ok for the occasional commute. The new bike would be for commuting on nice days, not daily.

My current bike runs Mavic Open Pros which have been great cheap wheel but they are a bit heavy. I ride 15-20 miles most every day, all year round, rain, snow, or shine. When I do true them, it's only a minor adjustment.

I don't know how a wheelset with a 215 pound weight limit can be called "bomb proof."

They are likely very good, but maybe find a wheel-builder and see what they can build you at that price.

The wheelbuilders at Colorado Cyclist are damned good. I've built wheels for a long, long time and those guys have my seal of approval.

You might want to try the Mavic alloy/carbon hybrids...Cosmic Carbone's. $845 at Pro Bike Kit right now. I wouldn't call them 'bomb proof', but they have held up very well under a couple of the local racer types.

Again, for commuting on **** roads I would try the Aksiums at around $200 and 1750'ish in weight. Responsive, fairly light, spin up quickly, ride well. They might be a little squirmy under a 195 pound rider...maybe not. I'm around 160 pounds and I can't seem to kill them. Four years on this pair and they are going strong. Mavic Ksyrium's if you want to splurge. Mavic wheels are hard to beat for the value IMO.

CAMPYBOB said:
You might want to try the Mavic alloy/carbon hybrids...Cosmic Carbone's. $845 at Pro Bike Kit right now. I wouldn't call them 'bomb proof', but they have held up very well under a couple of the local racer types.

Again, for commuting on **** roads I would try the Aksiums at around $200 and 1750'ish in weight. Responsive, fairly light, spin up quickly, ride well. They might be a little squirmy under a 195 pound rider...maybe not. I'm around 160 pounds and I can't seem to kill them. Four years on this pair and they are going strong. Mavic Ksyrium's if you want to splurge. Mavic wheels are hard to beat for the value IMO.
I think Mavics are good, too. I've been bombing around on the same Ksyrium SLs for about six years now. Stiffer and lighter than the Aksiums, but more expensive. MSRP is around $1000, but you should be able to find them for under $900. If you're asking about carbon, then $850 for a pair of sub-1500 gram alloy wheels probably won't break you.​

I have basic aluminium wheels since carbon wheels are quite expensive in my country and would attract thieves attention more.

I've always used aluminium wheels also to be honest and never had any issues. Some of the people I cycle with from time to time, including my uncle, say carbon is the way forward but I'm happy as I am.

Like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If I had money to burn and I were a little more serious about going fast, then I'd blow for some carbon wheels that would only come out on race days.

The Garmin-Cannondale team trains on Mavic Ksyrium Elites.

I think money for most people is the issue and also how seriously you take it. If your doing competition cycling then you'll use the equipment to try and give you an edge. For everyday cyclists though, then having carbon wheels and all the other fancy equipment is more of a luxury than a necessity.

I third the Aksiums - reliable, roll well, look good and reasonable price.

Forget carbon - even for fun events. Lighter alloy wheels would do you well for events / fast weekend rides = reliable, don't have to change brake pads and reasonable cost.

I race - as much as I can (weigh about 72kgs) and use some 1300gms Chinese aluminium wheels as race wheels only. Apart from having the rear re spoked as I broke two spokes they're excellent. They're not aero but for hills and in bunches they don't need to be.