Wheels - CR420 vs. Eurus vs. Ksyrium vs. Topolino

Topolinos...I have Ksyrium SL, and Eurus..Topolinos are lighter by over 130 grams...bomb proof...3 K miles over smooth and rough terrain...smoother than SLs ....and they just look so cool plus you see Ksyriums on every other bike...

If you're in the UK topos are being sold in Sigma, Tri and Run and SRB
herbert.nrp said:
I am buying a new bike and am choosing wheels. I am choosing between American Classics CR 420s, Campy Eurus, Mavis Ksyrium SSC SLs and Topolinos. I have eliminated Spinergy, Velomax and Zipp from consideration because I read horrible postings about their durability and customer service on roadbikereview.com.

Those wheels cost $650 (Eurus), $700 (AC) and $850 (Mavic and Topolino). The ACs and the Topos weigh about 200g less than the other two. The ACs appear to be the most aero by a good margin.

I've read good things about each of these wheels. Any personal experience with durability, frequency of need to re-true, etc.? (I've read postings comparing the ride quality of various wheels, but I can't imagine that wheels could make any noticeable difference in ride quality given the much greater importance of tire choice.)

Thank you for your responses.

"CR420 vs. Eurus vs. Ksyrium vs. Topolino"

Of the 4 wheelsets mentioned, I would say go for the Eurus. Better yet, save yourself a couple of hundred $$ and buy the Zondas. You only gain 100 gms. in weight which is no big deal, most of which is in the hubs anyway because Eurus has the titanium pawl carrier, where Zonda's is steel. Otherwise, Zonda has the same bearings & guts as Eurus, and the rims are just slightly heavier.

You'll sacrifice nothing in reliability, strength, ride quality, hub adjustment, etc. The main thing Eurus has that Zonda doesn't (besides the Ti pawl) is the grease port, and you'll use that about as often as you'll need to true either of these wheels - which is to say hardly ever.

I have a pair of '02/'03 Zondas and am quite happy with them, (the 20H, half-radial/half-1x laced G4 front wheel - not the 16H radial-laced '04 and newer model).

True story: I weigh around 205 lbs. dressed with cycling gear. One day last summer I came around a bend and before I could avoid it or stop, I hit at 90 degrees perpendicular a 2" dia. steel bar a road crew had thrown into the road. Dead stop, and I flew over the bars with the bike still attached to one clipless shoe when I landed. I cracked 3 ribs, but the front Zonda had NO damage. None. No dented rim, no broken spoke, and it's still as straight and true now as the day I bought it.

It should be noted that I had 28c cyclocross tires mounted that day pumped to about 95 PSI for hardpack riding. Still, it was one hell of an impact, and would have probably tacoed a lesser wheel.

I owned a set of K's when they first hit the market in '00, but I didn't care for the ride and handling of them. I sold them after 3 weeks use, though I had no other issues with them for that short time.

After the K's, I bought a pair of Campy Shamals and Nucleons, both sew-ups. Both were excellent wheelsets for their purpose, and I never had a single maintenance or repair issue with either set.

Nobody can tell me that Campy wheels are just "boutique" wheels and not worth a bit more than a standard custom wheelset. And Campy's are easily equal to and in most cases better than the competing factory wheelsets in their price ranges.

herbert.nrp said:
Yes, fair point. I am 150lbs, love to climb but live in coastal New England, so I don't exactly have the Alps outside my door. And I ride in all kinds of weather on poor roads. I would plan to ride these wheels for both training and racing. I don't think I am particularly hard on equipment, but I don't spend a lot of time tweaking, so low maintenance is a plus.
I also live in coastal N.E. (Mass South Shore). I have a set of Ksyriums which are nice sturdy wheels, but just purchased a set of Campy Protons. The lower profile works better in the cross winds that I encounter while riding along the ocean. You may want to look at the Campy Neutrons as well. My .02.

:cool:

PeterF said:
I also live in coastal N.E. (Mass South Shore). I have a set of Ksyriums which are nice sturdy wheels, but just purchased a set of Campy Protons. The lower profile works better in the cross winds that I encounter while riding along the ocean. You may want to look at the Campy Neutrons as well. My .02.

Just a point. The Ksyriums I own are the Elite's. The Protons in comparison weigh 55 grams less (the stock campy skewers are a good 20 grams lighter too), cost $150 less and I prefer the ride (handling and stiffness). Wurm is right. Campy are much more than "boutique" wheels.

PeterF said:
Just a point. The Ksyriums I own are the Elite's. The Protons in comparison weigh 55 grams less (the stock campy skewers are a good 20 grams lighter too), cost $150 less and I prefer the ride (handling and stiffness). Wurm is right. Campy are much more than "boutique" wheels.
Yeah Pete, they're all good wheels no question. Just comes down to personal preferences and price.

Anyway, if anyone's interested in them, I think Sam still has a few NOS pairs left of the '03 Zonda's @ $380. + ship. (FWIW, the '02/'03 Zonda's are actually specced 30 or 40 grams lighter by Campy than the '04/'05 versions are, and this is with 4 more spokes on the front than the '04s have! Must have used heavier spokes for '04? That, or it's the hub shells because they were changed from '03 to '04 as well.)

At any rate, I can vouch here and now that the '03s are fine wheels. If they weren't, they would have 'gone down the road' several months ago because I don't put up with mediocre equipment.

You get the Campy wheelbags, skewers, and lockring, as well as service manuals for the front and rear. You cannot possibly go wrong with this deal, and Sam is an excellent, no-hassle guy to work with I must say. (Also has '03 Neut's for $500.)

No, I don't work for him or get any kickbacks. :rolleyes:

Check it out: http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=258

Wurm said:
Yeah Pete, they're all good wheels no question. Just comes down to personal preferences and price.

Anyway, if anyone's interested in them, I think Sam still has a few NOS pairs left of the '03 Zonda's @ $380. + ship. (FWIW, the '02/'03 Zonda's are actually specced 30 or 40 grams lighter by Campy than the '04/'05 versions are, and this is with 4 more spokes on the front than the '04s have! Must have used heavier spokes for '04? That, or it's the hub shells because they were changed from '03 to '04 as well.)

At any rate, I can vouch here and now that the '03s are fine wheels. If they weren't, they would have 'gone down the road' several months ago because I don't put up with mediocre equipment.

You get the Campy wheelbags, skewers, and lockring, as well as service manuals for the front and rear. You cannot possibly go wrong with this deal, and Sam is an excellent, no-hassle guy to work with I must say. (Also has '03 Neut's for $500.)

No, I don't work for him or get any kickbacks. :rolleyes:

Check it out: http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=258

Great deals. He has the '03 Neutrons for $499 (!!!). If I didn't just buy my Proton's a few months ago I'd be calling him right now.
:eek:

BTW - I wasn't exactly sure so I checked it out: I knew my '02/'03 Zonda's have the bladed spokes just like the Eurus, but I wasn't sure about the '04s. Yes, the '04 and newer Zondas do have the heavier round (not aero) spokes now.

$380. for a slightly heavier "Eurus" instead of $700-$800.? A no-brainer indeed. Grab 'em while you still can!