Wheels don't roll free

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by shardy53, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. shardy53

    shardy53 Guest

    I just bought a Torker LX uni and I notice that when I spin the wheel it
    only rotates about two times and stops. Is this normal? I expected it to
    be more free wheeling. This is my first unicycle so I am I am not sure
    what is normal.

    Steve

    --
    shardy53
    shardy53's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7787

  2. If you know anything about maintenance, the short answer is this: loosen
    the maincaps.

    If not:
    Where the frame attaches to the hub/axle, there is a clamp that holds
    the wheel in place. Loosen this clamp evenly on both sides, being sure
    not to overdo it.

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - Fantabluous Unicyclist

    WE WANT THE LION
    WE WANT THE LION
    WE WANT THE LION

  3. Robbie

    Robbie Guest

    Don't worry about it. I noticed that with mine when I first got it, it
    didn't spin at all compared to my friends. After about a week of riding
    it was the same as his, so give it a bit of time. If it's still doing
    that in a few weeks, then worry about. Well that's what I think at
    least.

    --
    Robbie - Street Unicyclist

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/greeny23-900/dr_z.gif]
    Greeny23
    Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302

  4. My torker LX did the same thing.
    Dont worry unless it makes noise or somthing.

    --
    forrestunifreak - Aka:forrestunifreak

    E Pluribus Montis,Unum Uni

    You know the UPD is coming.the UPD will get you.so plan for it.and UPD
    anyway.

    "Sure i voted for it...Right before i voted against it."

  5. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    If your wheel isn't spinning freely, loosen the maim cap bearings. If
    you leave them on too tight, you run a very high risk of dammaging the
    bearings.

    As a general guide to how tight they should be follow these
    instructions:
    -Start with the wheelset off of the frame
    -place wheelset into bearing holders on frame
    -place main cap bearing holders on bearings
    -hand tighten the main cap bearings a couple turns (but leave real
    loose)
    -spin the wheel and remember about how free the wheel is spinning.
    -hand tighten the maincap bearings, every couple turns spin the wheel to
    make sure it is spinning as freely as it was when the bearing caps were
    loose
    -Once you notice the wheel not spinning as freely as it was when the
    bearing caps were loose, loosen the bearing caps until the wheel spins
    free again.

    I know that was a little long winded, but it is very important not to
    over tighten your bearing caps.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
    Kaena
    Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
    on the right"
    Sig count: 2

    04.05.23 11214
    04.05.25 11284
    04.05.26 11329

  6. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:24:48 -0500, "daino149" wrote:

    >-Once you notice the wheel not spinning as freely as it was when the
    >bearing caps were loose, loosen the bearing caps until the wheel spins
    >free again.

    If the wheel spins really free, the bearing clamp nuts must be on
    rather loosely and you need to use loctite on the threads to prevent
    the nuts from falling off - been there. Alternatively, tighten the
    nuts a little more. The wheel will not spin completely free, but
    sufficiently so. That latter option is technically less preferable,
    but a lot easier.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

  7. shardy53

    shardy53 Guest

    I followed the instructions that you gave me here and it spins freely
    now. I didn't have to use locktite yet because the nuts are new locknuts
    and are holding tight. I cant believe that the small local bike shop
    that I bought them from didn't know how to set them properly. I always
    try to purchase things like this from our local retailers if possible so
    I get good skilled service. I also see now that their is a sticker on
    the frame that states that the maximum torque on the main bearing caps
    is 45 inch pounds. So much for expert service.

    Steve

    --
    shardy53
    shardy53's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7787

  8. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    shardy53 wrote:
    > *I followed the instructions that you gave me here and it spins freely
    > now. I didn't have to use locktite yet because the nuts are new
    > locknuts and are holding tight. I cant believe that the small local
    > bike shop that I bought them from didn't know how to set them
    > properly. I always try to purchase things like this from our local
    > retailers if possible so I get good skilled service. I also see now
    > that their is a sticker on the frame that states that the maximum
    > torque on the main bearing caps is 45 inch pounds. So much for expert
    > service.
    >
    > Steve *

    I wouldn't be too hard on the local bike shop. It is very very common
    for the bearing caps to be too tight on unicycles assembled at bike
    shops. Even unicyclists regularly overtighten the bearing caps. Let
    the bike shop know that they are tightening the bearing caps too tight
    and why that's not a good idea on a unicycle. A unicycle wheel works a
    lot better when the bearings are not binding.

    The one problem with main cap bearing holders is that it is so easy to
    overtighten them. I would wager that the majority of unicycle with main
    cap bearing holders have bearing caps that are to tight. Even
    unicyclists who should know better end up with overtightened bearing
    caps. I'd bet that if I went around at nationals and checked all of the
    unicycles that have main cap bearings that I'd find some with
    overtightened bearing caps. People who go to nationals tend to be
    serious about their unicycling and should know better. But still it
    happens.

    The Torkers have a note in their assembly instructions to tighten the
    bearing caps to 45 inch-pounds. I don't have a torque wrench that
    measures that low so I've never measured the actual torque that I use.
    But I think 45 inch-pounds would be too much.

    My general rule of thumb is to never make a fist around the tool when
    tightening the bearing cap nuts or bolts. If you make a fist around the
    tool you're likely going to get the bolt/nut too tight. I hold the tool
    with my finger tips.

    For bearing caps that use a nut and bolt I use a nut driver (looks like
    a screwdriver and is designed to tighten nuts) and hold the nut driver
    with my finger tips.

    For bearing caps that use an allen bolt I hold the allen key with my
    finger tips.

    The method that daino149 gave is good. I generally use the same method.
    I'll just add that his method doesn't work as well with heavier wheels
    like a Coker wheel or a heavy Gazzaloddi muni wheel because the mass of
    the wheel keeps it spinning even if the bearing is too tight. The
    method does work well for your standard 20" or 24" freestyle wheel and
    other lighter wheels.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com