Wheels for a Clydesdale

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by ppdfly, Dec 27, 2009.

1. ppdfly

ppdfly New Member

Looking to spend $500-$1200 on a set of wheels for a Cervelo R3 SL. I am 200lb winter 190 summer weight. Was looking at the Mavic Kysrium SL. Any advise on other wheels for a clydesdale.

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I wouldn't waste your money on Ksyriums of any sort, especially since they all use Mavic's soggy turd of a rear hub. Instead, I'd invest money in a custom wheel build. You can likely find someone locally that builds wheels, and you can also find some great wheel builders online. If you use the search function, here, you should come up with lots of names and links. By getting a custom set, you'll benefit by having something built specifically for your needs; you'll get something that will match and likely exceed the performance of a factory/boutique wheelset; you'll get a wheelset that has easily replaceable parts (Mavic spokes aren't always easy to find, and they're not particularly cheap); and you'll save a lot of cash, on the order of $700 or better from your listed budget, that can go in your pocket or towards other bike stuff.

3. smithsr

smithsr New Member

+1 on Alienator's comments.
    As a clydesdale Is tarted with Mavic Aksiums that came with the bike and I kept breaking rear spokes; tried a custom made low spoke count wheelset and still broke spokes. I then got myself a custom rear wheel with 36 spokes, Ultegra hubs. I also went with LBS advice for a stronger rim that was more suited to 700x25 tyres.
    To be honest I really am not noticing the difference in the slight extra weight and the new wheel is a great ride. I don't bother changing to the lighter wheel for crits either.

4. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Like others have said, I'd recommend:

For every day use/training:

Front: 28 hole or 32 hole hub/rim, and go 14/15 butted spokes, or even straight 15-gauge is fine, brass nipps.

Rear: 32 or 36 hole hubs/rims, 14/15 butted or straight 14-gauge stainless spokes, brass nipps.

**Get a quality rear-hub(Ultegra/Dura-Ace , REcord/Chorus/Centaur) , and a good quality rim(ie. Mavic CXP-33 - strong and light).

If you race, well then potentially go for something lighter, but only use those for racing wheels. Also, like I recommend to anyone riding frequently, its ALWAYS a good idea to have at least two sets of wheels(clinchers) in case something happens to one of your wheels(flats, broken spokes, etc). Its funny how the cycling industry pumps out these $500+ specialty wheels, when really you can get a nice hand-built/ quality wheel for $125(front)- 300(rear) , bunch of marketing mumbo-jumbo and a play on numbers # to see who can get the lightest wheelset possible. Lighter doesn't just come at a price, but could potentially sacrifice some long term durability as well. Save the money you saved on the big-bucks pre-built/specialty wheels = and put that saved money towards tires+tubes, considering thats the main resource our rides consume. Be safe.

5. Bill98006

Bill98006 New Member

I am 270 lbs myself and had customs made the day I bought my Treak Pilot 5.2 back in October 2006. I used the EXCELLENT Velocity Deep V Rims, Dura Ace hubs and 28 DT Swiss spokes/nipples front and rear. I have had only minor truing each year and the wheels are outstanding. Best of all, they matched the color of my bicycle EXACTLY. What an awesome looking package. The wheels cost me $650 and have been worth it!
    Bill

6. Major94

Major94 New Member

7. rich88

rich88 New Member

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Get a custom built set. They'll be as good, if not better, than any boutique set you could buy and likely cheaper. Find a wheelbuilder--there are hoardes of 'em online and often they're at your LBS--talk with said wheelbuilder to figure out what sort of wheel would be best, pick rims, hubs, spokes, and you'll be groovy.

9. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

I just stoked myself, just bought piece by piece, and I'm building it up 95% of the way, then having a bike tech check my work and finish the truing job:
    *DT swiss 340 hub 28-hole rear
    *Mavic CXP 30
    *16mm DT brass nips
    *14-gauge DT spokes

I hope to ride this puppy many.. many happy miles!:D