wheels for cyclo-x

scottmoroschan

Feb 5, 2004
Now that the cross season is finally over, and my wheels have taken a serious beating....I am now faced with the decision to rebuild or upgrade my wheelset.

Currently, I am riding Mavic CXP33 on Coda Expert hubs. And, I am considering purchasing a set of Mavic Cosmos or a set of Ksyrium Equipe wheels.

Overall, I am on a tight budget, so a rebuild or new purchase is going to hurt finacially. Therefore, I would be grateful for any good advice from seasoned cross riders about what reasonably priced options I should consider.

Thanks

Originally posted by scottmoroschan
Now that the cross season is finally over, and my wheels have taken a serious beating....I am now faced with the decision to rebuild or upgrade my wheelset.

Currently, I am riding Mavic CXP33 on Coda Expert hubs. And, I am considering purchasing a set of Mavic Cosmos or a set of Ksyrium Equipe wheels.

Overall, I am on a tight budget, so a rebuild or new purchase is going to hurt finacially. Therefore, I would be grateful for any good advice from seasoned cross riders about what reasonably priced options I should consider.

Thanks

For cyclo-x get the Cosmos, they are really strong.

br

froque

Go to the local LBS and have them build you a wheelset with Ultegra and Mavic Open Pro's 32's. It'll save you $50 to $100 over the two wheelsets you mentioned, and they'll true them up cheaper. Save enuff money and you can buy a second wheelset to leave in the pit.
I've been running regular wheels for over 7 years and have only broken one spoke. I don't like to DNF, my equipment has to perform and be reliable.

I'd second the Mavic Cosmos's. A tough wheelset - despite my numerous crashes during the season! They also look the business in black.

However, the Ultegra/Open Pro combination is probably as strong, is lighter and marginally cheaper. If you opt for these, get stainless, double-butted spokes.

I recommend traditional wheels as well, open pros laced to XT or XTR would be awesome. For a bomb-proof wheel use CXP-33s with double butted spokes and brass nipples - make sure your shop stress-relieves your spokes before the final truing otherwise your wheels will be toast by the end of the season. For high-impact applications (like cross) always go high spoke count, 32h hubs/rims at least - 32 front 36 rear if you're heavier or ride hard.