Wheels for heavy rider- recommendations needed?

mooksy

Apr 28, 2004
Hi folks

Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a wheelset for a heavy rider (wavering around 220-230lbs). Wheels would need to be campag 10speed compatible.

I have just moved to the US from Australia so am not really familiar with any of the lbs's, so I don;t know how good the local wheelbuilders are, so something available by mail order etc would be good.

Thanks, Mooksy

I use Mavic Ksyrium elite's. They work great and are Campy compatable. If they can hold up my a**, they will work great for you!

I usually ride somewhere between 190-200 lbs., and have had wheel problems also.

My new Specialized came with a nice wheelset, ALX 330's, a shaped wheel with bladed spokes. The trouble is, the rear wheel wouldn't hold true, and eventually began popping spokes.

My bike shop switched me to a Mavic Open Pro wheelset, with Ultegra hubs.

No problem since.

Steve

steve egner said:
I usually ride somewhere between 190-200 lbs., and have had wheel problems also.

My new Specialized came with a nice wheelset, ALX 330's, a shaped wheel with bladed spokes. The trouble is, the rear wheel wouldn't hold true, and eventually began popping spokes.

My bike shop switched me to a Mavic Open Pro wheelset, with Ultegra hubs.

No problem since.

Steve

These guys pride themselves on building the perfect wheels for anybody. Peter's 200 lbs himself and a real Campagnolo fan so he'd love to hear from you. His motto is "conventional wheels, exceptionally constructed" (sounds better in Italian). Tell him I sent you. They're in Boulder Colorado but do a lot of mail order.
http://www.vecchios.com/

mooksy said:
Hi folks

Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a wheelset for a heavy rider (wavering around 220-230lbs). Wheels would need to be campag 10speed compatible.

I have just moved to the US from Australia so am not really familiar with any of the lbs's, so I don;t know how good the local wheelbuilders are, so something available by mail order etc would be good.

Thanks, Mooksy
I'm around your size and I have a set of Campy Proton's on my Campy 10 bike. The Wheelset was only $400 from excelsports. I also have a set of Ksyrium Elites. I can say that I honestly prefer the Proton's. They are a bit more traditional than the Ksyriums, but they are lighter, noticeably stiffer and $150 less. After about 1,500 miles the Proton's are perfectly true.

36 hole open pros with a 135mm spaced rear hub (if the frame can accomodate). 14 ga 3 cross DT champion spokes all around. Maybe go double butted on the non drive side.

I agree with PeterF, Protons are really good for fellows of our size. I range from 230-240 and have put nearly 3,000 miles on this set without a single problem. I am not easy on wheels either by the way...

I'm 250 and I have Mavic Cosmos rims. They are holding up very well. I used to breaks the spokes on Alex DA22 rims once a month. After 1000 miles the Mavic Cosmos have no broken spokes and are still true. Not sure about Campy compatability though I'm betting they work fine.

snails_pace said:
I agree with PeterF, Protons are really good for fellows of our size. I range from 230-240 and have put nearly 3,000 miles on this set without a single problem. I am not easy on wheels either by the way...
Plus $400 for 1,640 gram wheels, they compliment a lightweight frame very nicely.