Wheels: Lew v Reynolds

EXCEED said:
Thanks,

I'll try an email to all the staff there first as I'm in New Zealand and would rather not spend more money on Registered packages.

Hmmm. I've got a best friend in Balmoral. He's lumpy and ill-mannered, but that's a lot of why we're friends.

alienator said:
Hmmm. I've got a best friend in Balmoral. He's lumpy and ill-mannered, but that's a lot of why we're friends.

Balmoral here in NZ?

EXCEED said:
Have you been here?

The plan was to take the family there for a couple of weeks over Christmas, but then the economy took a dump. A year ago I was considering transferring to the Univ. of Wellington for a grad program in optics, but between the cost of moving the family, the pay a graduate student gets, the death glares my wife gave me at the mere mention of the idea, and the amount of time I have in my graduate program here, I gave up the idea.

alienator said:
The plan was to take the family there for a couple of weeks over Christmas, but then the economy took a dump. A year ago I was considering transferring to the Univ. of Wellington for a grad program in optics, but between the cost of moving the family, the pay a graduate student gets, the death glares my wife gave me at the mere mention of the idea, and the amount of time I have in my graduate program here, I gave up the idea.

LOL ok fair call.
Holiday it is then:)

alienator said:
The whole point to a certified letter is that you will get confirmation that it was delivered. If you can send an identical letter certified to someone high up at Reynolds, perhaps they'll speak to Paul. Again, it can't hurt.

As for the RZR wheels, a friend who used to rep for Lew in Europe saw the RZR's at Eurobike this year. He handled the wheels, talked with Lew, and talked with other Reynolds folks. The wheels are significantly different. Brake track composition, hubs, spokes, molding, rim composition are all different. And from the pics the bonding of the spokes is different (no more blue epoxy). There's no way Reynolds would just re-issue the Lew wheels: the VT-1's had some significant issues, and Reynolds just doesn't operate that way. When Reynolds bought the first Lew company, back when Lew was selling the Lew Sydney whels (progenitors of the Reynolds Stratus/DV 46 line), they didn't just start selling Reynolds branded Sydneys. No, those wheels were prone to fracturing, so Reynolds reworked the wheels/rims and released, instead, a very successful line of wheels that built the company's reputation.

You can likely get the name of a big muckity-muck at Reynolds either by searching online or by contacting one of the cycling mags or cycling industry mags.

Well I sent an email to all the staff and guess what... Paul answered and said he would look into it. So I hope he at least sends my wheel back. Or even better they might send me the new RZR which sounds better anyway. Better not count my chickens yet though!

EXCEED said:
I bought a pair of these wheels but when the rear one failed (see youtube) I sent it back but they stopped all contact and kept my wheel. gutted to say the least.
Sorry to hear it. I bought a pair of their clincher before it was released. They never released the clincher and kept my money. I tried repeatedly to get my money back and have tried to contact Reynolds after they bought LEW. No luck. If anyone has had luck with getting restitution, please let me know.