Wheels: Mavic Ksyrium Elite or Ritchey DS WCS

tafkam

Dec 26, 2010
I have posted some other questions about wheels and I appreciate all the responses but I changed my mind a bit about getting them on line as I don’t know much them and I feel much more comfortable getting them locally, so here is a couple of deals that I found. First is a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elites, the shop has them for MSRP of $650 but I have a 15 % off coupon I could use which would bring the price down almost 100 bucks. (then plus another 7 % tax of course) Another shop has a set of Ritchey DS WCS, they are 2008 or 2009. The shop tells me that at the time these were Ritchey’s top of the line aluminum wheels and that they used to go for $700 or so. They are priced at $425 and I think that is as low as he will go on them. So the Ritcheys are better price wise but I have not heard a lot about their wheels, where as Mavics are very common, at least most bike shops have them or can order them. One thing that does turn me off a bit about the Ritchey’s is that they have stickers on them rather than having the logo painted or printed on them, as well as a great big “made in Taiwan” on the sticker. Cosmetic yes I know but a bit cheesy for wheels that were supposedly “top of the line”. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

Strengths of the Ksyrium Elite wheels are strong, reasonably light rims and smooth, durable hubs. The main disadvantage is the cassette body, which rotates on a teflon-coated bushing instead of a bearing. The bushing wears out and then the cassette body must be replaced, and $100+ overhaul. Regular (every 1500-2000 miles) cleaning and lubrication of the cassette body extends life. My Ksyrium SLs are holding up well after 4 years, and one of my friends has had hers for about 11 years with annual cassette body overhauls.

I don't know enough about the Ritcheys to make a recommendation, but I've never known a Ritchey component that failed to meet expectations.

oldbobcat:

Thanks for the into, I did go with the Mavics as I was unable to find any info on the Ritchey's since they were a 2008 model. They were a bit more but I still got a hundred bucks knocked off the MSRP and since Mavics are more common I hope they will be easier to get parts for when I need them serviced.

Thanks again
Mike

If you take your bike to the shop for annual tunes, have them do a cassette body overhaul. Consider it a $25 insurance policy.