Wheels, Powertap, or computrainer

Rlirwin

Guest
I bought my new bike last year. This year I can make another investment in the sport and am
considering a set of nice race wheels (probably zipp 404's), or some type of pwer
measurement/training device. Just got a video from John Cobb on bike fitting and he says wheels
could save 10-15% (depending on what I buy). While they won't help my fitness, and a computrainer
probably would, they may cut more time off my bike split.

Any information would be appreciated.

"RLIrwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Any information would be appreciated.

I think I can help.

Recent research conducted at the NASA jet propulsion laboratory has indicated that approximately
18.07% of aerodynamic drag at 23 mph on the bike comes from our head. Removal of the head
*increases* speed to around 25 mph, for no additional effort. As the head also accounts for around
11.4% of bodyweight in the average human, you may also expect a significant - but unquantified -
increase in your climbing ability due to the overall weight reduction of the person/bike combo
on climbs.

Good luck.

Roger.

[email protected] (RLIrwin) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I bought my new bike last year. This year I can make another investment in the sport and am
> considering a set of nice race wheels (probably zipp 404's), or some type of pwer
> measurement/training device. Just got a video from John Cobb on bike fitting and he says wheels
> could save 10-15% (depending on what I buy). While they won't help my fitness, and a computrainer
> probably would, they may cut more time off my bike split.
>
> Any information would be appreciated.

Looking good is the MAIN priority and DUTY of a triathlete - BUY THE WHEELS, you will feel a lot
less self concious and anxious about your apperance - the anxiety reduction will also improve
your cycling.

WAN*ER !!!!!

"Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "RLIrwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>> Any information would be appreciated.
>
> I think I can help.
>
> Recent research conducted at the NASA jet propulsion laboratory has indicated that approximately
> 18.07% of aerodynamic drag at 23 mph on the bike comes from our head. Removal of the head
> *increases* speed to around 25 mph, for no additional effort. As the head also accounts for
> around 11.4% of bodyweight in the average human, you may also expect a significant - but
> unquantified - increase in your climbing ability due to the overall weight reduction of the
> person/bike combo on climbs.
>
> Good luck.
>

> Roger.

Cruel and smart-assed, but very funny!

Mr. Bishop,

We would like a word with you in private. Please e-mail us.

RST Restoration Committee

news:<[email protected]>...

RLIrwin wrote:

> I bought my new bike last year. This year I can make another investment in the sport and am
> considering a set of nice race wheels (probably zipp 404's), or some type of pwer
> measurement/training device. Just got a video from John Cobb on bike fitting and he says wheels
> could save 10-15% (depending on what I buy). While they won't help my fitness, and a computrainer
> probably would, they may cut more time off my bike split.
>
> Any information would be appreciated.

Information isn't what you need - it's largely a matter of opinion and personal preference. I don't
even train with a standary bike speedometer and generally dislike gadgets that measure me but a new
set of wheels sounds grand because, depending on what you have now, you can actually make yourself
go faster, rider easier at the same speed, or both, more benefit as the going gets quicker. For
keeping up with the madmen on the local weekend morning not-a-race-but-it-sure-feels-like-one rides,
a bit of extra speed could come in handy.

I've heard nothing but good things about the ZIPP 404's and have given them serious consideration
myself. In the meantime I ride wheels built on older, lightweight tubular rims and weigh less than
the 404's but aren't nearly as aero. Good for going up hills, good for acclerating, not as good for
keeping up with the pack at 25+ mph on the flats.

I've also heard nothing but good things about Computrainers but be aware you have several choices
for this kind of thing.

Everything you're considering can help you. If you've got the money and like them all, buy them all.

-S-

If you do not have a good training plan, a coach might well be a much better use of the money.
Better training will gain you far more time than equipment will.

news:[email protected]...