Wheels, Rims, Posts, Bars Advice

DS Carrow

Nov 27, 2011
New to cycling. Who makes a better race wheel? Zipp, Dt swiss, or Mavic if I'm looking to spend about 2,000
When it comes to seat posts, stems, handlebars, does anyone have a preference? I found a bike that fits me and has a good group now wanted to start deciding upgrades, and collecting all the advice I could. Thanx

Originally Posted by DS Carrow .

New to cycling. Who makes a better race wheel? Zipp, Dt swiss, or Mavic if I'm looking to spend about 2,000
When it comes to seat posts, stems, handlebars, does anyone have a preference? I found a bike that fits me and has a good group now wanted to start deciding upgrades, and collecting all the advice I could. Thanx
Define "better." All three make excellent wheels. Which is better for you depends on your size, the type of racing do, the quality of the roads, and your personal preference. There is no absolute answer.

Upgradeitis can be a very costly, and often rather pointless affliction. Better try to find a bike with the parts you want on it already. Or possibly - if you buy from a store, they MAY let you switch some parts out at a good price on the hope of being able to sell the removed parts on.

From a strictly financial point, upgrades should be restricted to stuff that either needs to replaced b/c of fit, or to a replace-by-better, when parts break or wear out.

In terms of "better", that's pretty much a moot point. Pepsi or Coke? Stones or the Beatles? Domino's or Pizza Hut?
Basically, the various brands are quite well matched as long as you stay inside the same price range.
Mavic probably have the strongest tendency to use proprietary spoke designs, which is bad news if ever one should fail.
Shimano probably have the most available spares.

Dominos or Pizza Hut? How about neither!

In line with what Dabac said, it'd likely be much better if you just ride wheels that are easily repairable and won't make you weep if they get trashed. As a new racer, your more likely to be involved in crashes. It's always good advice for new racers to have hardy equipment that will survive a crash with minimal damage. For at least the first season, focus on your existence in the pack, your skills, and learning from others in the pack and what you see. The only way that equipment will likely make any difference in first year or so is if that equipment breaks.