Wheels Spin on Rear Auto Rack

I noticed on a recent trip that when my bike is in my reciever hitch
rack the wheels spin as I drive. Is it something to worry about?
Should I bungy the wheels to the frame, or do I run the risk of
indexing the bearings if there is pressure from that angle on the
headset for long periods of time. Thanks for any advice.

"[email protected]" wrote:
> I noticed on a recent trip that when my bike is in my reciever hitch
> rack the wheels spin as I drive. Is it something to worry about?
> Should I bungy the wheels to the frame, or do I run the risk of
> indexing the bearings if there is pressure from that angle on the
> headset for long periods of time. Thanks for any advice.

The only thing to worry about is that the driver behind you may become
hypnotized by the spinning wheels. You can bungie them if you wish, but it's
not necessary.

Art Harris

There is no way you are going to index a headset by bungeeing your
wheels. lol

As long as they aren't swinging back and forth and banging off stuff
there is no harm in them spinning.

-Tim

My (incredibly paranoid) dad told me I should always secure wheels from
spinning on a trip of any significant distance. He thinks it puts a
lot of wear on the wheel bearings. I'm not sure if that has any merit
to it at all, as the bearings don't really have any load on them. As
Mr. Harris pointed out, it certainly won't cause any harm to tie them
down.

[email protected] wrote:
> I noticed on a recent trip that when my bike is in my reciever hitch
> rack the wheels spin as I drive. Is it something to worry about?
> Should I bungy the wheels to the frame, or do I run the risk of
> indexing the bearings if there is pressure from that angle on the
> headset for long periods of time. Thanks for any advice.

Turn off your cyclometer.

:p

On 1 Jul 2005 04:51:04 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I noticed on a recent trip that when my bike is in my reciever hitch
>rack the wheels spin as I drive. Is it something to worry about?

No, as far as I know.

>Should I bungy the wheels to the frame, or do I run the risk of
>indexing the bearings if there is pressure from that angle on the
>headset for long periods of time.

No risk either way, really. Some people like to bungee the rear wheel
to cut down on the amount of freewheeling wear on the pawls, but even
that is of questionable necessity or value in my opinion. A velcro
strap will do the job just as well, though; the force spinning the
wheel is not strong.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 15:21:42 GMT, "Bill Sornson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> I noticed on a recent trip that when my bike is in my reciever hitch
>> rack the wheels spin as I drive. Is it something to worry about?
>> Should I bungy the wheels to the frame, or do I run the risk of
>> indexing the bearings if there is pressure from that angle on the
>> headset for long periods of time. Thanks for any advice.

>Turn off your cyclometer.

First valid argument I've heard...

--

Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 15:21:42 GMT, "Bill Sornson"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >[email protected] wrote:
> >> I noticed on a recent trip that when my bike is in my reciever hitch
> >> rack the wheels spin as I drive. Is it something to worry about?
> >> Should I bungy the wheels to the frame, or do I run the risk of
> >> indexing the bearings if there is pressure from that angle on the
> >> headset for long periods of time. Thanks for any advice.

> >Turn off your cyclometer.

> First valid argument I've heard...

No, the cyclometer provides the most important data point.

I have unintentionally left my computer on the bike while the front
wheel was spinning free in the breeze. According to the computer, the
furious spinning I observed worked out to about 12-15 km/h in virtual
road speed.

I no longer worry about leaving my wheels to spin.

That said, my preference is to put my bike inside the car when possible.
Indeed, the missus and I recently purchased a car, and my prime
requirement was easy bike transport. I about half-won the day. If any of
you are wondering, a VW New Beetle has a fold-down rear seat and
capacious hatch, but is fairly short fore-aft. My 54 cm race bike will
only fit in with both wheels off.

Share & Enjoy,