Wheels, swings and roundabouts

grahamspringett

Feb 26, 2004
I'm trying to choose between 30mm Token wheels which I can get for about 500 bucks Australian and 50mm carbon/alloy Token wheels, which are more than twice the price of the 30mm wheels.

The 30mm wheels are not only lighter on the wallet, they're also almost 400g lighter.

Now, will I notice the difference in aerodynamics much? They're both bladed spokes, it's just the cheaper wheels are 20mm less deep but are a lot lighter.

I'm going to put a PowerTap hub in whichever way I go. I want bang for buck, as I'm pushing the boat out here, but I want to know if the 20mm difference in aerodynamics will make as much of a difference as the 400g weight difference?

I appreciate the difference will be minimal, it's not like I'll be dragging a sail, but would I notice it at speed in a bunch?

You won't notice the aerodynamic difference unless you race ITT or keep very careful records of your best training times. Nor, for that matter, are you likely to notice the weight difference.

artemidorus said:
You won't notice the aerodynamic difference unless you race ITT or keep very careful records of your best training times. Nor, for that matter, are you likely to notice the weight difference.
Very true. I had a pair of 50mm carbon tubulars (very simailar to the tokens just branded differently) and i couldn't tell much of difference between them and my dura ace clincher wheelset. IMO not worth the extra cash

grahamspringett said:
I'm trying to choose between 30mm Token wheels which I can get for about 500 bucks Australian and 50mm carbon/alloy Token wheels, which are more than twice the price of the 30mm wheels.

The 30mm wheels are not only lighter on the wallet, they're also almost 400g lighter.

Now, will I notice the difference in aerodynamics much? They're both bladed spokes, it's just the cheaper wheels are 20mm less deep but are a lot lighter.

I'm going to put a PowerTap hub in whichever way I go. I want bang for buck, as I'm pushing the boat out here, but I want to know if the 20mm difference in aerodynamics will make as much of a difference as the 400g weight difference?

I appreciate the difference will be minimal, it's not like I'll be dragging a sail, but would I notice it at speed in a bunch?

Only a teeny amount(placebo?) and only if you are on the front. Being 'in the bunch', in all that disturbed air and the 'aero-ness' means nada.

Well, being a pack doesn't reduce the aero benefits of deep section wheels to zero, but it does make a big impact on to what magnitude they influence your performance.

With deep rims, any aero benefit is small enough that you won't notice it riding. If everything is optimal--a case which rarely, if ever, happens--the best aero wheels will give you an extra 0.5 mph at 25 mph. Not a lot.

Of course deep rims may not hurt either. True, some people have some difficulty with them in crosswinds, but not everyone has such troubles. Some claim that deep rims ride more harshly, but there's data that shows that's not true, too.

Buy 'em if they get you excited to ride, but don't buy them if you think having them on your bike is going to be some transformative experience.

Thanks guys, you've made me feel better. I said yes to the 30mm rims meaning I save a heap of cash and my life will continue without several bruises from my bank/life manageress...

Actually, that's not fair. She's great but worries that all this money is a waste when we've got lil fellas to feed. Not unfair, really.

There was me umming and aahing about dimples, paired aero spokes, Bontrager this and Zipp that. I actually feel quite good about buying the Token C30s, they've had a good write-up and seem to perform just as well (in real life) as wheels 2 or 4 times the cost.

I just have to wait for my PT hub to arrive (a justifiable expense IMHO, I'd be lost without it) and off I go.

Thanks once again for all the input!