"Wheels to Reels"

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Jym Dyer, Mar 1, 2003.

  1. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    =v= Interesting program in Santa Rosa, California. As an incentive to bike (or skate) to work,
    commuters get free movies. There's an article in the _San_Francisco_Chronicle_:

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/02/19/BA219398.DTL&type=printable

    If that wraps, here's a shorter URL (with ads):

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/02/19/BA219398.DTL

    =v= I'm not nuts about the "die-hard" and "environmental martyr" characterizations (10 miles in
    lovely Marin is hardly martyrdom) and I'd contest the "free ride" headline with the inevitable
    reminder about us subsidizing motorists, but otherwise it's a good article for the _Chron_.

    =v= I haven't seen this item in any of the "Oddly Enough" newswire sections, but the folks at the
    notoriously anti-bike KGO has put it in their "News of the Bizarre" section:

    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/features/bizarre_news.html

    (URL will expire by tomorrow, no doubt.) <_Jym_

    Tags:

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Jym Dyer wrote:

    > =v= I'm not nuts about the "die-hard" and "environmental martyr" characterizations (10 miles in
    > lovely Marin is hardly martyrdom) and I'd contest the "free ride" headline with the inevitable
    > reminder about us subsidizing motorists, but otherwise it's a good article for the _Chron_.

    He sure does save alot of money, 2 to 3 million a year! He must have VERY expensive taste in cars.
    Or maybe that's just the cost of living in California.

  3. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Jym Dyer at [email protected] wrote on 2/21/03 9:47 AM:
    > =v= I'm not nuts about the "die-hard" and "environmental martyr" characterizations (10 miles in
    > lovely Marin is hardly martyrdom) and I'd contest the "free ride" headline with the inevitable
    > reminder about us subsidizing motorists, but otherwise it's a good article for the _Chron_.

    Santa Rosa is in Sonoma County, and can be a tad urban in places.

  4. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > Santa Rosa is in Sonoma County, and can be a tad urban in places.

    =v= Whoops, my bad, I was thinking of San Rafael.

    =v= Santa Rosa still isn't "die-hard" "martyr" territory, though. The main danger I encountered
    there was boredom. <_Jym_>

    (Oh, and the one-foot-wide bike lanes at the fairgrounds.)

  5. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > =v= Santa Rosa still isn't "die-hard" "martyr" territory, though. The main danger I encountered
    > there was boredom.

    =v= I found out about this site in alt.comics.peanuts; it's a Japanese site that publishes old
    _Peanuts_ strips:

    http://www.snoopy.co.jp/strip_lib/200303/

    This month there are a bunch of strips featuring Rerun on the back of his mother's bike. Dig the
    1980's-style helmet! :^) <_Jym_