Wheels upgrade: need advice...

davidbod -

Yours is not the only bad press I've heard on the K's. Too bad you didn't get a pair of Campy's, they have a 3-year warranty. Whether you would have had the occasion to use it is another question, but that tells you something about a mfg's willingness to stand behind their products.

As for Lickton's part, I'm very surprised that Bob Lickton didn't catch that defective wheel before it left his shop. Back in 2000, I bought a set of Shamals, Nucleons, and a custom-built pair from him, (Chorus hubs/Aerohead's/DT's) as well as a full bike built with original Record 10 group and Litespeed frame, etc. and had no issues with any of it being in bad condition. In fact, back then I think I remember him saying he was going to check all the wheels before they were sent for trueness and proper tension.

Coincidentally, I had bought a pair of the original K's from him first, but after that bike was built I rode them for a few days I didn't care for the 'feel' and thought they might look a bit unreliable. I sent them back in exchange for the Campy's and never had a problem after that.

psmalley said:
Early this season I was able to find a "new" Trek 5500. I got a good deal on a 2001 model. This is a pre-Bontrager bike, and it came with Rolf Sestriere wheels. I like them quite a bit, but never see anything about Rolf. What's up with that? They seem to still be in business, but I never see their products advertised or discussed.

Rolf is now known as RolfPrima, after the deal with Trek fizzled out in 2002.

One of the great bargains in an aero wheelset is the Rolf Vector Pro. 14/16 spoke count, 30mm medium aero rim, DT hubs, tough as nails. I've had a set for two years. Rode the daylights out of them, and they're still true. Typical price for a used set of Vector Pro's on ebay is $250-300. If you want new, it's the RolfPrima Vigor, same wheel with a slightly different hub, for $650.

Only thing I can fault the Pros for is a slightly harsh ride, but that comes with any very stiff wheel. They also have a noisy freehub, especially if you have a carbon frame that resonates. Coasting at low speeds, it sounds like you're being strafed by Stukas.

I've always heard good things about the Rolf's, except how tight the tensioning is on their spokes and the potential problems if one breaks - basically the rim will be puilled so far out of true as to be unrideable. But I don't know if that's accurate or exaggerated.

Also interesting that you don't hear so much about them anymore. Must be they don't have the ad budget like they used to when affilliated with Trek.(?) I had forgotten about Rolf's!

dfvcad said:
I would be looking into Velomax OrionII or Ascent II depending on your weight and riding style (ie race, sprint and hill climbing). Also consider Bontrager Race X lite. All these are with 15 to 45 grams of each other per set and about 100.00 less than the Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL. Also google bike reviews and will see a good site comparing all types of wheels. Good luck in the hunt for the perfect wheel set, but remember one thing, you have to like them and be satisfied with your choice.

I can't find the review...

I have Campy Eurus, (AWESOME-The only word for it, completely bulletproof) Ksyrium Elites, (just sold them, that should speak volumes) and American Classic Sprint 350's, which I like alot, but only just got. I also train on a set of Record/Velocity wheels. The Eurus are definitely the best. The AmClassics are very very close. The Ksyriums just never felt like a top dollar wheel. They never did anything wrong, and they were very strong, but I just didnt like them.

psmalley said:
Early this season I was able to find a "new" Trek 5500. I got a good deal on a 2001 model. This is a pre-Bontrager bike, and it came with Rolf Sestriere wheels. I like them quite a bit, but never see anything about Rolf. What's up with that? They seem to still be in business, but I never see their products advertised or discussed.
Rolf had a deal with Trek where he licensed them to build wheels using his patent. After a few years and seeing how well the wheels were received,Trek reconfigured the design a bit to get around the patent and then kicked Rolf out into the street. Rolf is still pedaling his wheels,but without a big name like Trek behind them,they don't fly well for him.

After a few years and seeing how well the wheels were received,Trek reconfigured the design a bit to get around the patent and then kicked Rolf out into the street.

Figures. :mad: