Wheels--upgrade

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jiyang Chen, May 26, 2003.

  1. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    How much of a performance gain will I get if I upgrade my Matrix Aurora wheelset to hand-built Mavic
    Open Pros? I will eventually use it for racing and if the performance gain is significant, I would
    like to upgrade to hand built wheels.

    Thanks, Jiyang Chen

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Jiyang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >How much of a performance gain will I get if I upgrade my Matrix Aurora wheelset to hand-built
    >Mavic Open Pros?

    If you use high quality hubs and butted spokes, it's likely that the Open Pro wheelset will be a
    little lighter and you may be able to get better bearing quality in a different hub. But the
    difference in performance will be quite small, even on a climbing course. You can do the comparison
    yourself if you can accurately weigh your Matrix wheels and compare to Open Pro wheelset by plugging
    in the numbers at http://www.analyticcycling.com/WheelsClimb_Page.html

    If you are really asking "what kind of wheel should I buy to get better performance?" then the
    answer depends on the kind of riding you do, how big you are, how much you're willing to spend, how
    long the wheel needs to last, and whether you want something that can be easily serviced or
    something proprietary.

    The main advantage of hand-built wheels is reliability, which is certainly a factor in race
    performance but I suspect that's not what you are asking.

    If you're planning to start racing, entry-level racing often involves some crashing, so having fancy
    race-day parts doesn't make much sense - better to replace things as they need it, which will happen
    soon enough. New rims are not going to set you apart from the field - if you have the legs you will
    do just fine on a pair of Matrix Aurora's.

    --Paul

    >How much of a performance gain will I get if I upgrade my Matrix Aurora wheelset to hand-built
    >Mavic Open Pros? I will eventually use it for racing and if the performance gain is significant, I
    >would like to upgrade to hand built wheels.

    Not as much performance gain as you would get by improving the motor. Unless your current wheels are
    really in poor shape, there is not much to gain.