Wheels, wheels, wheels

Motosonic

Aug 25, 2016
So, I've got a set of Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S on my Wilier GranTurismo.. They're a decent budget wheel and I've been considering replacing them with something 'faster' and lighter perhaps. I also have a set of HED Ardennes FR, but those are going into the shop for a repair (again). There's wobble in the rear wheel.. That rear wheel has had so many issues. I plan to send it directly to HED this time for repairs.

Anyway, any suggestions that won't break the bank? I've been looking at and reading up on some of these online wheels like Yoeloe, SuperTeam, etc. Any thoughts on those? I'm running a 10 speed setup, so, they have to be compatible with that.. and again, I don't 'want' to spend a lot of money. Additionally, I have to admit, I like the look of the Mavics, the all black hub with the black skewer.. I'm not a fan of 'chrome' wheels.

Thanks!

Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon's. Light enough. Aero Enough. Strong enough. At around a grand...cheap enough?

Well... I was thinking a bit less than that, actually.. I did look at the Mavic Ksyrium Elites today, several hundred less.. not carbon, but, I don't have a $8000 bike. lol I'm not a racer, I go for endurance.. so while I want 'fast', I also need something practical.

Ksyrium Elites are working fine for me. Got them with the Lynskey a year ago. Only have 1900 miles, but they are still true. Another great option of course is good old 32 spoke wheels, built by your favorite LBS with your choice of hubs, spokes and rims. Would have gone that route for the Lynskey, but the deal on the Mavics was too good to pass up.

As far as "fast", believe the performance differences in wheelsets are much overrated. I ride with a guy who's about my weight, has 32 spoke conventional wheels on his bike, same tires, and our coasting down hill is very close. If I mimic his position on the bike, we're basically dead even. Tucking in the elbows and knees lets me pull ahead slowly. Not scientific I know, but if the 18/20 bladed-spoke wheels give me any drag reduction, it can't be much.

Bottom line for me is endurance too: well-sealed hubs, strong enough rims and spokes, and a quality build with even tension. But a good wheelset doesn't have to be expensive. I had a pair of cheap Velomax Circuits that lasted 30K miles (until a rear rim crack). The hubs just used pressed-in R8 (skateboard) bearings, but at least they were easy and cheap to change when they got loaded with dirt and grit.

This is more like it! lol They both look great. I'll have to look up some rider reviews for both. Thank you!

Besides Mavic Ksyrium pros, what is everyone else using? And do you recommend them? Th e Mavics are on my short list.
I have a set of HED Ardennes Fr which take a wider tire '23'..But thats kinda pushing my clearance limits. And I can't put a thinner tire on there. So, I'm trying to find other options. I don't think I'll buy anything from China, lol.

Ok, so, here's the details.. I picked up a new bike. It's a 2016 UHC team issue Wilier Cento 1 SR. It came with a set of Shimano WH-RS81's which are a decent wheel. But, I'm considering tossing my old HED Ardennes FR's on there instead. The HED Wheels.. I believe are from 2013 or 2014, so, they're not 'new'. but I just had the rear wheel serviced, re-dished and converted to 11-speed by the manufacturer.
My ONLY hesitation on the HED's is that I like the blacked out look of the Shimano's more.. black spokes, black rim, black skewers, black hubs..The Ardennes have chrome spokes/hub/skewer. There's really no 'converting' them.. it'll just cost too much. So, if you were me, which would you choose? Ardennes on Left, Shimano on right.
Thanks!

Attachments

• HEDvsShimano.jpg
    HEDvsShimano.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 18
geez that's a toss up, since I can't decide maybe a picture with both on so we can see the contrast? For me I don't think it makes much difference in looks, the HED is a tad lighter. You could ride them both over the same course and see which one you like of the two in terms of performance.

I would ride those shimaNO's.

Is the Wilier white/blue UHC colors? Pictures, man! Pictures!

I can't believe Campybob recommended Shimano!! lol
Well, for now I think I'll go with the HED's on the bike and toss a different cassette on the Shimanos. This bike doesn't have the compact chainring.. so it's going to be a total adjustment for me.. and here's a pic. if it works. My first bike with provenance. This is one of the actual race bikes (now retired because UHC switched to Orbea).

Attachments

• UHCBike.jpg
    UHCBike.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 17
ok, all done! Ardennes installed. Looks better than I thought it would!

Attachments

• UHC Bike_1.jpg
    UHC Bike_1.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 20
That's a nice looking ride you have, without seeing the Shimano wheels on I can't tell which looks better, but I doubt the Shimano wheels would ruin the look of that bike unless there's some sort of non complementary colors on the wheels.

Very nice! I think you got a winner on your hands.

I'm liking those huge chainstays. Like the Deda cockpit...I have that on my Wiliers too.

What saddle is that?

I can't believe Campybob recommended Shimano!! lol

shimaNO factory wheels are pretty good. I rate them about even with Mavics on the less expensive end of both lines. I've never ridden the high-end shimaNO carbons and have only put a couple miles on some carbom Cosmic's so I can say what compares on the top end.

Aksiums...Ksyriums...RS series...Ultegra's...all of those I would ride into the dirt. The combination alloy & carbon products from both shimaNO and Mavic are durable, low worry wheels in my book.

Very nice! I think you got a winner on your hands.

I'm liking those huge chainstays. Like the Deda cockpit...I have that on my Wiliers too.

What saddle is that?

Thank you! LOVE the bike, too. It's SO much nicer than the Gran Turismo.
The Saddle is a Selle San Marco Aspide (not the carbon version).

shimaNO factory wheels are pretty good. I rate them about even with Mavics on the less expensive end of both lines. I've never ridden the high-end shimaNO carbons and have only put a couple miles on some carbom Cosmic's so I can say what compares on the top end.

Aksiums...Ksyriums...RS series...Ultegra's...all of those I would ride into the dirt. The combination alloy & carbon products from both shimaNO and Mavic are durable, low worry wheels in my book.

It was a tough choice for me. I got the Shimano wheels all set up with tires..and I'm planning on popping a cassette on there and using them as a spare. I was just about to use them as my main wheels.. but when HED was able to re-dish the Ardennes and add the 11 speed cassette body, I figured I'd keep using those. I talked to a lot of folks and the consensus was just slightly in their favor, too. Who knows what I'll do. I'm used to a compact chainring, but the cassette on the bike now is pretty robust. so it kinda evens out.. I'll likely get something different for the Shimanos and use them for different purposes.

That's a nice looking ride you have, without seeing the Shimano wheels on I can't tell which looks better, but I doubt the Shimano wheels would ruin the look of that bike unless there's some sort of non complementary colors on the wheels.

Thanks Froze. Here's the pic with the Shimanos.

Attachments

• UHCBike.jpg
    UHCBike.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 13
I have the lower end Shimano wheels called the RS500 (mine are the all the silver instead of black, the all silver is a deeper dish rim vs the black but cost the same), and these wheels can take a beating and still run true, they're not a racing wheel but rather made for streets, so they were designed to take the punishment of poor condition streets. I have no doubts that the better Shimano will be even better...obviously! LOL!!!
Thanks Froze. Here's the pic with the Shimanos.

I don't really see anything wrong with either. It appears in the photos that the Hed's have a deeper black which seems to look a tad better, but really either would work.

I had a choice when I bought my Lynskey Peloton of either Shimano R500 wheels in black or silver, I chose the silver because I wanted something different that black plus the silver is a deeper rim.