Wheels

Bluey_27

Mar 19, 2004
So what kind of wheels have you got?

Mine are Xero XSR-4s. They weigh 2kg...and i dont like them. I bid $300 on a used pair of topolino c19s (weigh 1390g, have carbon/kevlar spokes, and normally cost $1300...and have spectacular ride qualitys) and some ******* bid $400 and won...and i didn't get a chance to bid back cause i was out racing.... GRRRRR..... hopefully i'll see some more good wheels on ebay soon...

Bluey_27 said:
So what kind of wheels have you got?

Mine are Xero XSR-4s. They weigh 2kg...and i dont like them. I bid $300 on a used pair of topolino c19s (weigh 1390g, have carbon/kevlar spokes, and normally cost $1300...and have spectacular ride qualitys) and some ******* bid $400 and won...and i didn't get a chance to bid back cause i was out racing.... GRRRRR..... hopefully i'll see some more good wheels on ebay soon...
I've got shimano r550's or something like that. They're a bit less than 2k. Like 1800 something. They roll okay. But I want some new wheels bad! LIke something light and aero. I guess I'll have to start winning more prize money.

It's a bit off topic but you should have used a sniping service. You'd have won then.

I have a set of xero- lite XR-1 with a junior cassette for racing I think these wheels wigh about 1500g. I also have a set of ksyrium equipe wheels that weigh about 1800g with a standard 10 speed cassette for training. These are great wheels for training because the reputation of the strength of ksyrium wheels.

I was going to buy the XR - 1's but then went for some kysrium Elites, teh kysriums are lovely wheels, especially now with a nice burn mark along the side of the when someone took me out!

Its hard to find a aero, light weight, low profile, $500 (AUD) max wheelset witha good reputation.
Any1 know if the ksyrium SL rims are under 25mm?

Just picked up a pair of x-treme matrix clinchers secondhand ( www.x-tremewheels.com ), very nice wheel. Was using velocity 32 spokers. Amazing how a little less weight and an extra 15mm can make such a difference in regard to holding a speed over 40.

On the side: Bluey, the toppolinos would be usless to you if you were planning on racing state level juniors as they contain a carbon/aramid type spoke. Must be metal. Depth no longer matters, they removed that rule at christmas but you're not allowed to run any spokes or rims that contain carbon, aramid or a similar composite. The only issue wth the k's may be the spoke width. Email cycling Australia, (website www.cycling.org.au ) if you have any questions about your equipment.

But it only says the RIM.

For all events wheels shall comply with UCI Regulation 1.3.018 with the sole exception that construction of the RIM shall exclude the use of composite fibres (Carbon, Kevlar, Aramid and similar fibres)

wow, it doesn't say anything about depth anymore... so i could get some of those deep Zipps if i wanted?

Interesting about being only the rim but I'd still check with someone through email. One things for sure, no zipps for you. Theyre made from carbon. Deepest ones you could get are gippiemme technos at about 45mm or some campg shamals if u can find the clincher version. american classic 420, ksyriums maybe campag eurus would be good choices. Remeber they must be clinchers still.

Yeh great wheel, managed to get miine for less than half price secondhand which was good. Got a pair for the track too which was a bit of an investment but when you think about it if they last ten years then its not too bad.

Over here in England you can use any wheels that you want, whici si bad for me as everyone is running Cosmic Carbons!

I emailed a guy from Cycling Australia. He said the Carbon/kevlar spokes were illegal for juniors.

Hi fellow Juniors.

Over here in the US the officals make us use 45T max chainrings on the front and you can't have anything lower than a 12T on the Rear.

Anyway:

I have a pair of mavic cxp-22's for training

a pair of Bontrager Selects for Fast Training, Criteriums and Windy Road Races

and a pair of Rolf Vector Pro's that I just won off of Ebay (14 Spokes Front!!!, 16 Spokes Rear!!!:D ) for Road Races, Time Trials and sometimes Criteriums