Wheels

nyterider03

Aug 17, 2003
I'm going to start racing agian next year and need to get a set of good race wheels. I plan on doing crits, RRs and TTs, and can only afford one set. I'm looking for a wheel that would be good for all of the above. I've narrowed it down to the Zipp 303, 404, Corima Aero and American Classic Carbon(heard bad things about their hubs though).

Does anybody have any thoughts or advice?

Darren

I'd start out using what you have. As a beginner/cat 5, your wheels won't really be holding you back. I have a bunch of riding buddies that always use their equipment (or lack of it) as an excuse not to race. The fact remains that in every race I've been in, there has been at least one crash and you won't want to be worrying about a $1000+ wheelset. Any wheelset in the 1600g range should be adequate.

Also, you really don't need carbon rims if you are traveling in a pack.

To get proper carbon race wheels, you'll want tubulars, and that is an additional expense- plus you won't want to be training on them as well (fixing a flat tubbie?!). If, as you say, you can only afford ONE set of wheels, you'll likely be stretching your budget. For the same price as any of the options you mention, you could buy two sets of aluminum-rimmed wheels.

I've got training wheels: Mavic Opens and Campy Scirocco,. but they are heavy at 1750-1800+. I'm going to be racing collegiate as well. The Campy's are good for training races, but I would like a good set for the big events.

I raced "a" grade on Mavic CXP22 wheels with 105 hubs, and beat guys with mega dollar wheels. I just got some Ksyriums and they are great . Just remember money won't win races.

ok well velocity rims are good price and light i would recermend voviocty areo head or fusion both about $90 AUS a rim with a good hub these are both light areo head 400gm and fusion 450gm so i would get 2 wheel sets for the same price as one carbon wheel set or go for campagnolo nypers carbon rim 20 spoke carbon hubs. www.deanwoods.com.au is good for saving a few bucks.

Originally posted by patch70
Very hard to go past Ksyriums....

I recently bought Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels and they're really not that great, acctually they suck donkeybars. The only thing that makes these wheels 'great' is their light weight. But when you look inside the wheel Mavic uses industrial parts, which are very cheap and they wont run as smooth as an campagnolo record hub (for example). I'm getting a new wheel set made with CXP33 rims, Campagnolo Record hubs and Sapim CX-RAY aerospokes.
Next week they'll be ready... I can't hardly wait...
But to come back to the case: Ksyrium wheels cost very much for what they give you!!!
Oh and by the way, I'm selling my Ksyrium wheels for 350$ the buyer also has to pay shipping costs. Any interests? Just mail me or send me a Private Message =)