wheels

dobbs9473

Mar 28, 2013
hi guys/girls ,im looking for some advice on a set of wheels im thinking of buying.i do around 200 kms a week an my current wheels are almost done ..im looking at a set of fulcrum racing 7 wheels ..theyre costing around $200 ,so im just wondering what ye think or have ye got any other reccomendations..any feedback would be appreciated

7's are good entry level wheels. They're durable and good looking. Also, look at Mavic Aksiums. I'm doing my best to kill them and they're winning that battle. Nashbar's Vuelta wheels fall into the same class.

I have some experience with cheap / entry level wheelsets, see this post:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/491244/road-wheelsets-for-220lb-riders#post_4042337

I am currently running RS30 on my Tri bike, Mavic Aksiums on my "fast" bike and Corsa HDs on my everyday bike. The current set of akisums has issues with the front going out of true frequently until I added a drop of locktite to each spoke nipple. The HDs are holding up beautifully - they are really a great deal on a entry wheelset. The RS30s don't see as much miles but seem to perform well.

I did have a previous set of Akisums (straight pull design) that started popping rear NDS spokes. A blown spoke without a spare means a long walk home. They are hanging on the wall now.

I've managed to nurse a bike home with more than one snapped spoke. It was slow, it wasn't fun, but I got there.

A lot depends on how far out you are when it pops. In my case it was only a couple of miles.

maydog said:
I did have a previous set of Akisums (straight pull design) that started popping rear NDS spokes. A blown spoke without a spare means a long walk home. They are hanging on the wall now.
same problem here, on the back wheel

I have recently purchased a Scott speedster, which came with syncross aero wheels and I believe the bearings are rubbish as I have play in Both wheels, would this lead to a resistance ? As they dont spin very well at all Or would this mean crushed bearings ? . I have a set of shimano rs30 as my winter wheels and always found them great at rolling looking to put these on as pedalling seems very hard . I ride about 30km to work every day and it seems such hardwork on my new bike . The gear ratio are the same , similar weight overall any ideas ?

hubs with play are unacceptable, you should service them in the bike shop as it is a matter of maintenance, once the internal cups are damaged the hubs are toasted, so

Reactions: mybike88
Originally Posted by mpre53 .

I've managed to nurse a bike home with more than one snapped spoke. It was slow, it wasn't fun, but I got there.

A lot depends on how far out you are when it pops. In my case it was only a couple of miles.
Something easier to do the more spokes on the wheel and something entirely impossible I imagine with the paired spoke patterns found on wheels like Rolf.

danfoz said:
 Something easier to do the more spokes on the wheel and something entirely impossible I imagine with the paired spoke patterns found on wheels like Rolf.
Yup.

"What is the mean of Yoeleo?"

It's an ancient Chinese phrase meaning, "The One Millionth Thing in Life That Pisses Alien Off".